Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

ARB Bull Bar ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rolwin

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
ARB Bull Bar ?

Anyone in the forum that have installed the new ARB Bull bar ? How compatible is it with EU recommendations for "frontal protection" ? Probably not I recon... Question

Please post pictures if possible, I have checked ARB's website and there are a few but not showing the actual installation.
 2011 D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE, Fully speced.

For fun and forest work: Suzuki KingQuad 450 ATV 

Post #11401729th Dec 2006 4:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveo

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Rolwin,

PCH has an ARB bar fitted, check out his gallery for some pics: http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=10031

The ARB bar is airbag compatible. It also complies with Australian Design Rules. They may not be as stringent as EU rules these days but in terms of crash protection they should be pretty close.

ARB are the major player here in Australia and are highly respected.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Post #11409629th Dec 2006 10:58 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The Bar requires the wheel arches to be trimmed to fit. Improves entry angle and you don't have to worry about the scrub.
Should make a great 'Elk' bar. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Last edited by caverD3 on 2nd Jan 2007 11:38 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #11411030th Dec 2006 12:25 am
300+

When you say the arches need to be trimmed, do you mean some plastic trim or the metal?

I'm not sure what to do about the front of mine. I think the ARB bars look a little ugly in photos, but I've not seen a D3 with one in the flesh, the LR metal bar looks nicer, but the underside of the bumper is vulnerable for scraping & dings - especially in the corners.

Decisions, decisions...

Steve

Post #11412230th Dec 2006 3:27 am
caverD3

Just the plastic.
ps the bar does comly with the airbags and is LR approved to comly.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #11412730th Dec 2006 4:56 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The ARB bar looks good, I personally have always had them colour coded to the vehicle's colour.
On my first Disco I fitted a LR bar, these LR bars are only good for fitting lights. I removed it to fit an aftermarket ADR compliant bar (TJM).
As previously commented the ARB bars conform to ADR's. You will need to check EU regulations.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=0
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #11413030th Dec 2006 6:39 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hi all,
Although I haven't got a D3 (yet) I am planning to and only y/day went to the local ARB shop to check on costs.
There are two types;
1. winch bar at Aus$1870 fitted and
2. non-winch bar at Aus $1710 fitted.
Both airbag compatible BUT NOT front parking sensor compatible without further modification.
 regards
Peter

Post #11414230th Dec 2006 11:00 am
rolwin

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful insights and advices. I am familliar with ARB, had their bullbar/winch on my Land Cruiser 100 when we lived "down under", they are good people and great engineers.

The road authoritihes here in Sweden are picky on anything that resembels front protection on any car incl 4x4's at present, pretty much based on how EU legislation is to be interpreted.

Cheers
Roland Very Happy
 2011 D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE, Fully speced.

For fun and forest work: Suzuki KingQuad 450 ATV 

Post #11419330th Dec 2006 7:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ArcFro

Finland 

One local dealer told me that they are not allowed to fit bullbar but if I'd buy and install it by myself, authorities do not have anything against it. This is hear say though...

Post #11420330th Dec 2006 8:11 pm
SMK

Australia 
Front park sensors with Bull bar

Slightly off topic I know but I have read a number of threads on this site and others, as well as a number of magazines of late that continue to state that the front park sensors will not go in a ARB bar. This is not correct. I have had mine in my bar for 12 months without issue/fault/problem. They work perfectly well and were installed by my local ARB dealer when the bar was fitted without issue or comment or additional charge. I suspect those of you who have been told otherwise have found somebody who can't be bothered to try. My gallery has photos to contradict this myth.

Post #1146452nd Jan 2007 9:30 am
Jamo

Australia 

Get the winch bar even if you aren't fitting a winch. It's extra engineered to allow significant pull on the bar.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #1146552nd Jan 2007 10:19 am
dbregman

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I am thinking about the ARB bar versus the LR metal bar. I think the consenses is that the LR Bar is mainly for looks and will not offer a lot of protection. Thoughts?

Also with the ARB, what underbody protection will work? Mantec? Or does ARB make their own?

Thanks,
David

Post #12067517th Jan 2007 12:35 pm
caverD3

The ARB bar has it's own engine bash plate, much better than the original.
The ARB is much better protection and improves the entry angle.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #12090617th Jan 2007 10:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >