Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

ARB rear air locker under development
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
BlackPerth2

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
ARB rear air locker under development

ARB are telling customers they are developing an air locker for the rear diff...no info yet but watch this space.
 2006 SE TDV6 with G4 Options ("A" Bar, Driving lights, expedition rack, ladder; fr & r light guards, side steps, G4 logos) door moulds; plus Long Ranger 115L sub-tank; OL rear wheel carrier; OL rear drawer system; Kenwood / Garmin Satellite Nav/bluetooth/iPod/rear camera/DVD); LR roof mounted DVD; GME 3440 UHF; Tyre Dog tyre monitoring system; Optima Yellow second battery and Traxide dual battery management system; Mitchell Bro's tow hitch;  
Post #54233330th Oct 2009 5:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

These ARB air lockers are realy good, I have them in my project tojo front and rear and highly recomend them.
If they release them for the D3 go for the biger compressor with the tire inflation kit, it works so well.

Cheers
Rob
 MY05 TDV6 SE, dirt colour, Now cremated !!!!!!!  
Post #5448593rd Nov 2009 6:25 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

So would this be a simple swap of the rear diff or modification to the casing etc to lock it up?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5450813rd Nov 2009 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
daveyb

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Sounds expensive...but I can't wait to shell out the dough!!!
 2006 D3 Tonga Green
275/65/18 GY DuraTracs - ARB w/ EP9.0 - Sasquatch Rods 

Post #5452853rd Nov 2009 8:55 pm
BlackPerth2

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

modification to the casing is what I heard.
 2006 SE TDV6 with G4 Options ("A" Bar, Driving lights, expedition rack, ladder; fr & r light guards, side steps, G4 logos) door moulds; plus Long Ranger 115L sub-tank; OL rear wheel carrier; OL rear drawer system; Kenwood / Garmin Satellite Nav/bluetooth/iPod/rear camera/DVD); LR roof mounted DVD; GME 3440 UHF; Tyre Dog tyre monitoring system; Optima Yellow second battery and Traxide dual battery management system; Mitchell Bro's tow hitch;  
Post #5454954th Nov 2009 7:42 am
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Fitting will take from six hours depending on host vehicle, if you have reasonable mechanical skills and a good equiped workshop you can carry out this near bolt-in operation. One hole is required to be drilled and tapped in the axle case and the back lash setting on the crown wheel and pinion should be checked.

For photo's and an explanation see:
http://www.coloradok5.com/arbinstall.shtml

Maxi Drives ( not for Discovery though) where better but no longer available, especially since it included uprated axles and end caps.
Used to love hearing that pfft when you engaged it!
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #5455064th Nov 2009 8:13 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Thanks for the Link, very useful stuff Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5455824th Nov 2009 11:13 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Interesting to know how they have made it work with the traction control.
I am sure they will get a letter from LR lawyers saying it is illegal and will affect the brakes though. Rolling Eyes
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5459594th Nov 2009 10:14 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I wouldn't fancy that as a DIY fit. I don't like the idea of bits of metal (from drilling the hole) dropping into the Diff.

One for the Pro's I think
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5460525th Nov 2009 12:07 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Traction control wouldn't kick in on the rear as it would think that both wheels have traction to the same level wouldn't it?

Stu, would be OK if you're careful as the diff is mostly removed anyway & as long as you've covered all the other bits up. You'd probably be suprised at the ammount of metal debris comingout of gearboxes/diffs on an oil change, so no great danger I think Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #5461665th Nov 2009 11:51 am
Jamo

Australia 

I've got an e-diff Very Happy
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5461745th Nov 2009 12:10 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

So have I Thumbs Up
Never owned a D3 without one Very Happy
 The End  
Post #5461755th Nov 2009 12:13 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #5461805th Nov 2009 12:25 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It does look interesting indeed, though I feel the traction control could be compromised - not sure on what grounds I say that, just a feeling that by making traction control affect two wheels simultaneously, rather than one wheel at a time, you're somehow reducing its effectiveness. Obviously I'm not in a position to know if that's going to be better or worse than a fully locked diff in the first place.

I'm surprised no-one's considered retrofitting the e-diff and using a dash mounted knob to control the servo in it (i.e. manual control over slip ratio rather than car control). The e-diff only has a standard servo assembly in it, so it just needs a beefy servo controller to power it. That way you could ensure you never dialed in a total lock, which would also allow the traction controls to work effectively alongside the LSD.

Still, that wouldn't have a great sounding phzzzzshp-clunk as the locker engaged, so maybe not...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5461825th Nov 2009 12:31 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Surely Traction control will only kick in if it feels that one wheel is spinning faster than the other? If the diff is locked, then they will both be spinning at the same speed, therefore they have traction either side. (same as when the e-diff clicks in.

Only issue is if they do a front to rear traction control, but then again that will just lock the centre diff...
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #5461835th Nov 2009 12:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >