DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

ARNHEM TRIP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AIRBORNE MEDIC

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4
ARNHEM TRIP

Hi guys,

Just sorting out some admin for our up and coming trip to Holland (Arnhem) and decided to make a list of everything I need to do/bring instead of doing it off the top of my head and then getting on to the ferry and realising we've forgot X,Y & Z Laughing

When you put it all down on a list it's frightening how much kit you actually take both personal and for the smooth running of the vehicle and of course legal requirements of Europe Rolling Eyes

I'm working down in Hereford the week we are departing so decided instead of driving al the way back up to Lancashire and home (A trip of at least 6 hrs with traffic) that the wife would accompany me to Hereford and we would leave directly from there to Dover and get the Dunkirk ferry to mainland Europe.

To me this makes sense as a 6 hr drive to home (Knackered at the end of it) packing the car then driving another 4 hrs to Hull with current traffic and road works would kill me Shocked

On the other hand travelling from Hereford to Dover will take between 4 - 6 hrs again depending on current traffic and road works. Rolling Eyes This route should save us time, mileage, petrol and not be so tiring we hope.

Ferry booked for 22:00 which should get us in to Dunkirk before midnight and then leaves us a 3-4 hr road trip to Arnhem via France and Belgium on the other side. Down side is we will be tired so plenty or rest periods but the up side is the roads should be fairly quite at that time so making it a more sedate drive Thumbs Up

Should be at camp site to set up by breakfast and after a quick kip the week begins for us culminating with the 75th Anniversary of the British & Polish Airborne landings to take Arnhem and liberate the Dutch people. Sadly the mission failed and it was indeed "A BRIDGE TOO FAR" but none the less the Dutch people celebrate and welcome British & Polish Paratroopers Old and new and have done ever since the operation "MARKET GARDEN".

I once asked an elderly gentleman why they welcomed us and celebrated with us when the mission was a failure and as a result we brought nothing but hardship and brutality from the German forces to them Embarassed

His answer was short and simple! "AT LEAST YOU TRIED"! I felt so humble and overwhelmed by this mans answer it made me cry. Crying or Very sad

Anyway we shall keep you posted on our trip Thumbs Up

Kenny
 "Your mind is like a parachute! It will only function when open"!

Kenny 

Post #133205031st Aug 2014 2:24 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Awesome trip. We did this as a squadron 6 years ago with 2 veterans. It was amazing, if a bit of a blur. The museum is outstanding if you have time. The bars were very accommodating, I seem to recall. Thumbs Up
 PAGODA  
Post #133206031st Aug 2014 2:44 pm
AIRBORNE MEDIC

Hi mate,

Yeh as you know it's a very good pilgrimage to attend and we usually go every year but have missed the last couple because of work. Sad to see not as many "OLD & BOLD" anymore but nice to see the welcome from the Dutch people is still as big as it ever was. Thumbs Up

Kenny 

Post #133206631st Aug 2014 2:59 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

An elderly gentleman lived in our street and used to fly the Pegasus flag from a flagpole attached to his house. Unfortunately he's no longer with us, passed away a few months ago. Very sad as he was the nicest guy on the street by a country mile.

Post #133208231st Aug 2014 4:00 pm
Sailterry

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Arnham Oostebeek visit

Hi I remember with fond affection the Dutch, I jumped onto Ginkel Heath in 1975, 1976 and was part of the drop for the film A Bridge Too Far. I also remember that when I was packing up my chute into the bag kids were coming up handing flowers out and thanking us as if I was a veteran which I was not a little too young.

I did meet a veteran who jumped on the Monday 18 September 44 he was with 10 Para battalion 4th parachute brigade a guy named John Smith I had nothing but admiration for him anyway I remember the parade on the Sunday at the airborne cemetery which was a very moving experience, every headstone had a child with flowers standing in front of it and at the right time laid flowers on every grave.

I only did this parade twice and it still vivid in my mind so yes the Dutch are still very thankful for the operation although it completely destroyed the area.

I went out to Holland in July this year as part of the GBR Marblehead world championships team and took the caravan over via the tunnel. We stayed at a small village Miele which was about 11 k from Gouda. I wanted to go up to Arnhem but had a problem with the clutch in the D3 so did not get to go. I regretted that but anyway its a simple drive up from Dunkirk all motorway, you will have a couple of areas that will hold you up Antwerp getting onto the ring road and Rotterdam but beyond that its simple and fast.

Red on green on go!!!
 Love My wife, kids, Family, Radio Sailing and D3  
Post #13324381st Sep 2014 9:52 am
AIRBORNE MEDIC

Hi folks nice posts about the old and bold Thumbs Up

Preparations still underway although now I am up to scratch with wagon as I've had a full service, A/C re gased/4 wheel alignment and got all the bits I need for driving road legal via France/Belgium to Arnhem.

Just spent most of the day sorting out my documents and photo copying a spare set as well as emailing myself another spare set of everything (Passports/ID Cards/Medical cards/Drivers licence/V5/MOT/Insurance) just to aim off for any eventuality Laughing I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one that goes to these lengths when I travel abroad Rolling Eyes

Anyway only another couple of days of going through checklist to make sure I don't forget anything and then i'll start packing the car on Monday for a Tuesday departure.

Will keep you informed Thumbs Up

Kenny

Kenny 

Post #133979813th Sep 2014 6:17 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I am in Holland now and weather is great, Tuesday will be 24 degrees.

Got family very close to Arnhem so will pop in Tuesday on way back to tunnel.

Post #133982313th Sep 2014 6:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >