Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Atera Strada Bike Rack Problem - Broken Again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MeanDorris

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Atera Strada Bike Rack Problem - Broken Again

Have had an Atera Strada 3 + 1 bike rack for a couple of years after some initial research and comments on here.

It is a great piece of kit normally and I used it without problems for the first year, but it then started playing up last summer being tempermental to lock and sometimes to remove.

When trying to use it for the first time this year a couple of months ago, it just wouldn't take hold on the tow bar (I'm using the detachable swan neck).

I got in touch with The Roofbox Company (www.roofbox.co.uk) where I had bought the unit from as the item comes with a 3 year warranty. The contact was initially made on the 24th June and I recieved a supposedly repaired version back on the 27th July, it had to go back to Atera in Germany.

However, when going to use if for the first time since getting it back today it is still not working.

When first attached it did secure onto the tow ball, but the handle was incredibly stiff to push down to lock the first time, but I assumed this was just due to whatever was replaced during the repair.

However, I tested the slide back mechanism, but when is was sliding it back up to click back in place there was a noise and the rack lost its grip on the tow ball. I tried many times removing the rack and putting it back on but no matter what I could not get a good hole again on the tow ball.

I'm very unhappy as I have pretty much wasted a day today by going to Halfords to get a number plate made up for it, cleaning it, having to fix the 4th bike adaptor (which is a bit of a swine to attach) which they removed but did not put back on before shipping back to me. We are also due to go away on our holiday soon with little time to have the bikes serviced before we go or little chance of getting anything fixed again seeing as the inital turnaround was 4.5 weeks.

My disgruntlement aside, I know these racks are very popular on here and wanted to know if anyone else has had any problems with them, particlualry with regards to fixing hold onto the tow ball?

Really can't understand what is happening to it or why it is not working.

Post #9626905th Aug 2012 4:39 pm
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Had no problems with mine at all and it has been used to carry all sorts of stuff.

Well, no problems until I swapped the D3 for a Def110 and it won't now fit on the car cos the spare wheel is in the way. Anyway want to buy it lol.

C
 2012 Defender 110 XS Utility 2.2
2012 D4 Commercial 255 8-speed, Active diff, lots of extras on order, comes Sept - ORDER CANCELLED (isn't divorce expensive....?)
2008/08 D3 HSE G4 - part exchanged for the 110
1987 110 CSW with 200 Tdi (now gone)
2007/57 D3 TDV6 HSE - NOW GONE owned 1/oct/08 to 31/dec/09
2007 Seat Altea Freetrack4 170 tdi (wife's car, wife now gone!) 

Post #96558013th Aug 2012 9:40 pm
Big red 999

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Hi mrandmrsh
If the rick is for sale please let me know
thanks Ian Thumbs Up

Post #96561714th Aug 2012 7:40 am
MeanDorris

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

theroofboxcompany actually sent me a brand new unit, I could have done without the hassle of the "repaired" unit taking so long to come back, and then still being problematic, but can't fault them for the customer service regards the replacement.

I used the new one on Saturday and all is good, in fact the seem to have made a few but worthwhile changes and improvements on the new model and provided some more detailed instructions, which all make it easier to fit and use.

Post #96568014th Aug 2012 10:23 am
SimonR

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ours has been fine - only problem was getting some new see through plastic on the top to stop the straps from rubbing the paintwork when changed the D3 to a D4

Didn't realise it had a 3 year warranty so thanks for that.

Interesting that it won't fit on a Defender as my brother is hoping to put it in his D2 at the end of the month.
 D4 2010 HSE Santorini Black
D3 2005 SE Java Black - p/x to D4
D2 2001 GS - p/x to D3
D1 1998 - p/x to D2

Post #96736819th Aug 2012 6:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >