Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Atera Strada V's Thule Euroclassic G5 For 4 Bikes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MeanDorris

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Atera Strada V's Thule Euroclassic G5 For 4 Bikes?

I've been reading around on here and the web and have narrowed down to the above two options for a 4 bike tow bar mounted rack.

I have seen the Thule at a local store and it is a solid looking bit of kit and seems easy to use.

I am am however leaning toward the Strada, the appeal is that it will fit in the boot when not in use and the way it appears to slide away/tilt seems to give easier/better boot access than the Thule?

I have been a little put off though reading the comments on here regards the difficulty mounting 4 bikes on the Strada, particularly a mix of sizes (I have two adult and two kids bikes).

There doesn't seem to be any mention of difficulty of mounting 4 bikes with the Thule, is this because it isn't an issue or just no one has commented (I am assuming this may be a trade off against a narrower, boot friendly Strada?).

Is there any one who has actually had real world experience with both options at all?

Can anyone comment on the ease/difficulty on mounting 4 bikes on the Thule?

Post #66324721st Jun 2010 10:56 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

I don't know the thule but can recommend the atera for the reasons mentioned by you. See also my gallery for pictures. The atera is like buit for the disco.
 Some people get by
With a little understanding
Some people get by
With a whole lot more
I don�t know
Why you gotta be so undemanding 

Post #66325921st Jun 2010 11:48 pm
MeanDorris

Thanks, have you used it with the 4th bike adapter/4 bikes at all?

That is my main area of concern....

Post #66331622nd Jun 2010 9:11 am
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

no, only two bikes till now.
 Some people get by
With a little understanding
Some people get by
With a whole lot more
I don�t know
Why you gotta be so undemanding 

Post #66334722nd Jun 2010 10:28 am
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I have the Atera with the 4 bike add-on - i love it. Thumbs Up

We regularly use it with 4 bikes : Two full size adult hybrid bikes plus a 24in and a 20in childrens bike.

They fit perfectly without any real issue, the first time loading them you need to think a little about the best way to get them on but once you have done it once then it's really quite simple. I put the adult bikes at the back and work forward from largest to smallest, alternating the direction on each one.

As the kid's (and bikes) have grown, it seems to have been easier and my only concern is where we put the 5th bike !

All in all, a great piece of kit. They way that it swings away means that you have full access to the boot which is great when on holiday and need to get kit (especially tents) out of the boot.
 Also Gone : MY14 D4 SDV6 HSE : Barolo Black + Almond
Sadly Gone : MY08 D3 TDV6 HSE : Stornoway + Alpaca + Privacy + BAS Remap 

Post #66336922nd Jun 2010 11:20 am
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

MeanDorris wrote:
Thanks, have you used it with the 4th bike adapter/4 bikes at all?

That is my main area of concern....

Yes thanks. Great piece of kit. Very firm attachment - quite simple to use when you've had a couple of goes. Biggest headache is deciding in which order to load the bikes.

My only niggle is with the 4th bike. The extra wheel carrier is fine, but they give you a crossbar-to-crossbar lock (like the 3 locking arms on the 3 bike model) which you're supposed to use to lock the 4th bike to the 3rd one. However, that means the 4th bike leans backward slightly, so I connect the 4th bike to the 3rd "arm" instead, and use the crossbar-to-crossbar lock on the 3rd bike. Not sure if it makes a material different, but it looks more secure.

Also, I didn't want to use the metal plates that attach to the rear door even though they are lined with plastic, so I put straps to a roof bar - see my gallery.

Overall, I'm very happy with it.
 Andrew  
Post #66338822nd Jun 2010 12:12 pm
MeanDorris

Thanks guys Thumbs Up

Thule owners seem to be quiet/nonexistent.

Sounds good that you are both happy with the Atera with 4 bikes. I've gone ahead and ordered one Very Happy

ThatMartinChap, my set up seems very similar, 4x mountain bikes 18" and 15" with 26" tyres, plus 24" and 20" kids bikes. Yes, the 5th bike may be a problem for you, I got the whole set (1x Girl, 1x Boy) so was happy to stop there!

Andrew, thanks for the mounting tip for the 4th bike and the crosbar to crossbar lock, I'll give that a try.

Do you really need to attach those extra straps though? Don't really want to have to fit the roof rails to do it, but don't want to risk damaging the paintwork either.

ThatMartinChap do you secure elsewhere also? Any otherr users comment on this?

Thanks again for your replies.

Last edited by MeanDorris on 23rd Jun 2010 7:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #66367722nd Jun 2010 10:26 pm
ThatMartinChap

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

MeanDorris wrote:
I got the whole set (1x Girl, 1x Boy) so was happy to stop there!

So was I ! But we had a small mishap and now we have 2xGirl + 1xBoy Embarassed I now need to get a roof carrier and a snip Confused

Regarding the extra straps - I have never used them. I did check with Atera/Roofbox company, this was their reply....

Quote:
Thank you for the email. The strap is supplied by Atera as an additional insurance; the carrier is safe to use without the strap as long as you do not exceed the nose weight limit for the tow bar itself. These straps are not supplied by any of the other major manufacturers, and they are not for weight bearing purposes - they are to provide some tension to the outer edge of the carrier and prevent it bouncing if you go over a speed bump too fast or onto a ferry ramp. We recommend that you do use the strap when carrying four bikes but it is quite safe if you choose not to fit it.

I've racked up many miles with the rack on and no straps without any problem whatsoever.

I was glad about that since one of the main drivers for getting a tow-bar mounted rack was to get away from hanging c**p off of the back of the car and damaging paintwork (I had to have several repairs to the back of my old BMW due to poorly fitted bike carriers - my fault of course).
 Also Gone : MY14 D4 SDV6 HSE : Barolo Black + Almond
Sadly Gone : MY08 D3 TDV6 HSE : Stornoway + Alpaca + Privacy + BAS Remap 

Post #66376723rd Jun 2010 9:09 am
Rejjie

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I was wondering if any one could tell me how wide the Atera Strada 3 rack actually is?

I would like to gauge if it would fit on the floor of my caravan to be used as a 'secure' bike stand whilst towing. I think the aisle is about 70cm wide but I would need to re-check.

My plan would be to load the rack onto the car to carry up to 3 bikes, drive to where the 'van is stored, remove the bikes and rack, place the rack on the floor, in the centre aisle of the caravan, and then reload the bikes. This would then (hopefully) stop the bikes from bouncing around and damaging/dirtying any internal fittings or upholstery. Not sure if this idea is feasible?

I do not have any roof bar fittings otherwise I'd use my existing bike carriers and put them 'up top'.

Thanks.

Post #66395423rd Jun 2010 6:39 pm
MeanDorris

Folded dimension below from roofbox.co.uk website.

•Approximate dimensions when folded: 1000 x 250 x 720 mm

Not sure if that helps...

Post #66396923rd Jun 2010 7:05 pm
MeanDorris

ThatMartinChap wrote:
So was I ! But we had a small mishap and now we have 2xGirl + 1xBoy Embarassed I now need to get a roof carrier and a snip Confused

Rolling with laughter but now the male fraternity is outnumbered, reckon you should keep going in an attempt to even things up again Very Happy

Thanks for your commens on the strap and Atera's reply, that's good as that was one of my reasons for going for a tow bar mounted also Thumbs Up

Post #66397223rd Jun 2010 7:10 pm
MeanDorris

The Strada arrived yesterday, very prompt service from theroofboxcompany Thumbs Up

So far so good, have managed to get three bikes on without too much diffuculty in the house, but had tried the 4th bike extension/fourth bike yet.

Mine hasn't been supplied with an additional fixing strap from Atera though.

I should mention that I got 10% off from theroofboxcompany.co.uk from a link on this forum that was hard to find so I'll post the link the link again here in the hope that it helps others:

The link is in the bottom post of the page

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post623650.html#623650

Post #66489425th Jun 2010 8:41 pm
MeanDorris

The wheel supports on the 4th bike adaptor that I recieved only has buckle type fabric straps rather than the preferable and more secure plastic ratchet type straps on the main unit.

Those who have the 4th bike adaptor, is this normal?

Post #6684815th Jul 2010 4:58 pm
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very Happy hi ive just bought a thule bike carrier ,put it on the tow bar ,doesnt fit,i need a longer neck to mine ,which i have soon and then trying it out.
Very Happy
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #6685515th Jul 2010 8:40 pm
simonepascale

United Kingdom 

I will almost certainly buy an Altera Strada bike carrier from the roof box company. I have some questions:

How long does it take to load 3 bikes onto the carrier once the positions are all setup, and how long does it take to load 4 with the adapter?

We will have the fifth bike problem too, would it be better to buy the dapter for the fourth and then the fifth on the roof, or put 2 on the roof?

Post #6789622nd Aug 2010 6:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >