Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Attempted break in and help…
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Attempted break in and help…

Hi all,

Last night (5am) all my outdoor lights triggered and my Ring cams recorded a hooded guy calmly walking up to the NSR of the D4 looking inside, he tried the door, then looking around hearing my dogs barking he made off a lot quicker than arriving.

My worry is of course that was just a reccy and he’ll be back tonight or soon.

Anything I can do to mitigate any attempted theft? I will today remove my tools (it’s a commercial) and ensure there are CCTV signs visible. I live rurally and I know the police have no interest or manpower to attend so I have to do what I can myself.

I know there have been a few thefts of these, how is that achieved? I will move the OBD port if it’s via there as it was in the Ford Custom……

I appreciate that anyone wanting into any vehicle will do just that…… I just want to make it less attractive/harder.

My nearest neighbour has a gun licence and has signs up warning trespassers with 2x 12 bores either side of the wording! I may get one! (The sign that is) Very Happy

Any advice gratefully received!

Thumbs Up Smile
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #225939530th Oct 2021 9:00 am
LRD4GAB

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Personally I use the fob to lock it put both keys in a metal tin and use a disklok

Post #225940030th Oct 2021 9:15 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

s60r - Whereabouts in West Sussex are you please?

Locking bollards are quite popular - friends have a rising bollard in their drive, not inexpensive, but they got a small decrease in their insurance premiums on account of it.

Steering wheel locks seem to be well thought of.

NJSS

Post #225940230th Oct 2021 9:16 am
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi and thanks for your replies!

I am near Arundel, I have a large driveway that would need a few bollards as the entrance is very wide……and it’s an unlit road.

I always double lock the car but yes I have no way of stopping them smashing glass, he looked remarkably calm and collected even with all the lights on…… bold as brass……… only looked in the back.

There are 2 other cars on the drive, one lower value and one much higher. He didn’t even look at either which makes me think he’s a pro and he’ll be back.
Post #225940330th Oct 2021 9:24 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Can you position the lower valued car to block it in, or at least until you get a Disklok?
 Andy

Post #225940830th Oct 2021 9:40 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Are you in a Neighbourhood Watch Area ? might be worth mentioning to any neighbours and see if they have cctv of the vehicle he used to get there?
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #225940930th Oct 2021 9:40 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Trying to understand what he was after is the first step…. Is your Commercial sign written? Does it give an indication that tools are inside? Are you well known in the area as the local chippy, builder etc..

The fact that he tried the rear door first is indicative that he was probably after tools rather than the vehicle…especially if any of the above are true…

If your keep tools in the vehicle personally I would add an additional aftermarket alarm that is not oem standard… if this immobilises the vehicle then even better!
Thieves know that they can punch a hole in the drivers door glass and place an obd device in the dash without setting off an alarm… the reason for this on testing alarm systems is that part of the test includes removing a handbag from one of the seats..providing it does that it passes…and oem’s deliberately turn down the sensitivity of systems to stop all those false alarms… thus it is possible to enter a vehicle and place an obd device without setting them off…

The other thing I would place is a driveway alarm or a beam breaker. They are available from Amazon and the like. Set it at a height on a tree or post so that it’s not obvious and at a height so that it would not be set off by a fox or badger…

Post #225941330th Oct 2021 9:45 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

As an aside I did a number of videos with reformed thieves…all of them stated that they never liked gates…

If the gate was closed then they didn’t have an innocent answer being the wrong side of it.. if the gate was left open it allowed them to explore unheeded. If they were caught they would just give the line that they were looking for another address, looking for scrap metal for sale, or did you want you driveway tarmacced?

Post #225941530th Oct 2021 9:52 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

[quote= Thumbs Up "LRD4GAB"]Personally I use the fob to lock it put both keys in a metal tin and use a disklok[/quote]

+1 Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #225941630th Oct 2021 9:53 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

A few “off the wall” suggestions:

You’ve got a dog ….. is it a big scary, angry dog? is so let it sleep in the D4.

Put a note on the door/windscreen stating you have already seen him at the D4 and you have him under surveillance from then and now.

Run an electric extension cable from your house/garage into the D4 and put a note on the door/screen stating that the vehicle will transmit 240v if any attempt is made to start it.

As I’ve said, a bit “off the wall”, but might be of some consideration.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #225942130th Oct 2021 10:07 am
s60r

Fitzy73 wrote:
Can you position the lower valued car to block it in, or at least until you get a Disklok?

Thanks Fitzy...Nice idea. ..... I am definitely doing this tonight.
Post #225943730th Oct 2021 1:34 pm
s60r

Farmer Chalk wrote:
Trying to understand what he was after is the first step…. Is your Commercial sign written? Does it give an indication that tools are inside? Are you well known in the area as the local chippy, builder etc..

The fact that he tried the rear door first is indicative that he was probably after tools rather than the vehicle…especially if any of the above are true…

If your keep tools in the vehicle personally I would add an additional aftermarket alarm that is not oem standard… if this immobilises the vehicle then even better!
Thieves know that they can punch a hole in the drivers door glass and place an obd device in the dash without setting off an alarm… the reason for this on testing alarm systems is that part of the test includes removing a handbag from one of the seats..providing it does that it passes…and oem’s deliberately turn down the sensitivity of systems to stop all those false alarms… thus it is possible to enter a vehicle and place an obd device without setting them off…

The other thing I would place is a driveway alarm or a beam breaker. They are available from Amazon and the like. Set it at a height on a tree or post so that it’s not obvious and at a height so that it would not be set off by a fox or badger…

Thank you Farmer Chalk.... I am known as a local Chippie and as much as I try to make sure I can't be seen from the road when I open the back .... it does happen so they may have seen tools in there. Not sign written but people see you out and about I guess....my D4 looks smart with a recognisable number plate so may have to add security on board as you say.

I have full CCTV (Ring) coverage and I get an alert as soon as someone comes on my drive so I have now removed the tools to the lock up and I'll see if he returns. I can't gate my drive off..... I would love to though but the lay of the land and width would make it cost more than the D4!

Its clocks back tonight so plenty of time for thieves to take advantage.

Thank you for your time in replying.... much appreciated.

Last edited by s60r on 30th Oct 2021 1:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #225943830th Oct 2021 1:34 pm
s60r

ronp wrote:
A few “off the wall” suggestions:

You’ve got a dog ….. is it a big scary, angry dog? is so let it sleep in the D4.

Put a note on the door/windscreen stating you have already seen him at the D4 and you have him under surveillance from then and now.

Run an electric extension cable from your house/garage into the D4 and put a note on the door/screen stating that the vehicle will transmit 240v if any attempt is made to start it.

As I’ve said, a bit “off the wall”, but might be of some consideration.

Bow down

Love some of these Ron!!

Particularly the extension lead! That would certainly make me think twice!!

I have 4 dogs (Pointer, Vizsla) so nothing huge.... They'd think I was punishing them if I left them in the car though! They are very good guard dogs though and it was them that woke me last night as I had the phone on silent with the camera alerts off as I've had no trouble in 12 years here.

Time to think again now.... I will add a sign and block it in tonight.....and get the extension lead out!

Thanks again Thumbs Up
Post #225944130th Oct 2021 1:45 pm
s60r

Great community.... exactly what an owners forum should be...... thank you very much all.

Thumbs Up
Post #225944230th Oct 2021 1:48 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I’d plug the extension cable in btw.
You never know, they might be daft enough to cut it.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #225944630th Oct 2021 2:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >