Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Audio nerds and technophiles...i need some help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pherplexed

United States 2013 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackLR4
Audio nerds and technophiles...i need some help

Ok, so I just bought my brand new 07 LR3 HSE and I LOVE it!! The first thing i did to test the sound system was to start listenting to some songs off my iPod through the aux input. I was noticing that the subwoofer settings didn't seem to change anything no matter how high or low i set it. So the resulting sound from my iPod was decent, but not spectacular like I was expecting.

Now I've just activated satellite radio and when listening to that, the sound is PHENOMENAL! The subwoofer setting most definatlely makes a difference when listening here...you can feel the bass in your chest.

So, I'm guessing the discrpency has something to do with the frequency range capabilites of MP3 files in general, or the frequency range of the iPod itself? Anyone here a total audiophile that can explain what would cause this sound discrepancy? I know the aux input is a pidly 1/8" jack, and mp3's are a lesser audio format but some of my mp3's can hit the lows really well and sound great, but most don't. The majority of them are encoded at 128 or 256kbs.

Thanks much!

Post #21763023rd Oct 2007 7:49 pm
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Are you using the headphone jack socket, or taking a line out signal from an adaptor? The headphone socket has a suppressed/modified signal (someone more technical will explain) so it will not blow your ears out, whereas if you get a Line Out signal, it is unfiltered. There is a Belkin car charger for the ipod that also has a jack socket on the charger unit that is line out and much better (so I am told, I have a Creative Zen so don't have different problems, like no connectivity to anything useful Evil or Very Mad )
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #21763323rd Oct 2007 7:54 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Way to complex for me but welcome anyway pherplexed!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #21763423rd Oct 2007 7:54 pm
pherplexed

hey Craig-
I'm using the line-out from the iPod...not the headphone out. i tried the headphone jack too to see if that would help, but sounds about the same. I'm a bit of an audio snob when it comes to good sounding bass. No, not breaking windows at a stoplight kind of bass. Just good, tight bass that you can feel, you know??

Hmmm. I guess i need to hunt down an audio engineer and get their take on it! Smile

And thanks for the welcome, DSL. SOOOO glad to be here! I'm loving my new car. Mr. Green

Post #21763623rd Oct 2007 7:59 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Pherplexed,

I too listen to my iPod using the headphones socket/aux connection.
I have to say that I find the volume level/sub-frequencies are superb.
I have read that others have found problems but never found out why.
I have the iPod's volume set to max and the EQ off.
I also rip my CDs at 320kbs
20 on the audio volume is generally fine and I do have the subwoofer setting and the bass setting quite high.
Even so, the bass is quite clean and taut and can be comfortably cranked up without distorting or clipping.
A good test track is 'Erase and Rewind' by The Cardigans.
Although the sub-bass is not in the league of my Monitor Audio/Miller & Kreisel set-up at home, with this track you can definitely feel your ribs move
It's miles better than SWMBO's Saab!

BTW. It makes a difference if your boot is empty or full due to the subwoofer being in the tailgate. Thumbs Up

Post #21767023rd Oct 2007 10:06 pm
Alicatt

Belgium 

I use my iPod in my RRS, I had ordered the Audio Connectivity Module but it hadn't arrived by the time I camr to pick up the car so I used the Aux in and headphones out on iPod and had great bass from it. With the volume at 20 it is getting painful and you can feel the upper parts of the door flexing in time with the bass Mr. Green I now have the ACM fitted and it is slightly better but only slightly.
I have the Logic 7 premium audio, not quite as good as the home system but better than a lot I've heard Thumbs Up

Post #21767623rd Oct 2007 10:26 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

if you want to test your sub & bass try 'Angel' by Massive Attack
Thumbs Up

Post #21767923rd Oct 2007 10:36 pm
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Fitted the LR conectivity kit (about £150 on ebay) and the difference from the headphone jack is very noticable. As previously said, this takes it's feed from a line out and the quality and bass is unbelievable for a vehicle system. Also as previously said, a empty boots makes for better bass!
The LR kit has the advantage of track selection from the steering wheel controls and charges the ipod.
Cheers, Richard.

Post #21768223rd Oct 2007 10:50 pm
pherplexed

DiscoDad wrote:
Hi Pherplexed,
I also rip my CDs at 320kbs

thanks for the info, DiscoDad. I'm willing to bet that it's some of my older MP3's encoded at a much lower bit rate that's causing the problem of 'less-than-superb' sound. As I was saying, some of them sound fantastic, others not so much. I'll be encoding at least 256kbs from now on.

At any rate, my LR iPod connectivity kit came in today and I just installed it. XTC: Am I missing something in regards to getting the iPod to pause when I turn the car off or switch to another audio source? The kit says it's supposed to pause the iPod when you do either of these things, but mine isn't! I've tried it with my iPhone and my 5th gen iPod (the one with video).

Cheers!

Post #21770224th Oct 2007 2:02 am
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This seems to be a common problem/piece of mis-information.

See here... http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic15304.html

Post #21770924th Oct 2007 7:38 am
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Mine pauses if you switch the radio or the engine off, but not if you change audio sources or the phone rings... But from other posts I'm lucky that mine does even that!
Have you mounted the ipod dock yet? If not let me know and I'll post a pic off were I have mounted mine. Far more discrete and not on full view from the drivers window!

Post #21771124th Oct 2007 8:02 am
Hollywood619

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Also make sure that you don't have "sound check" activated on your Ipod and that on your Itunes settings for ripping and playback that it is set to maximum (default is 192 I think) I play mine through a Monster Cable low profile charger with a 3.5mm line out on the charging plug in my BMW and it sounds great.

Good luck.

Nate

Post #21771724th Oct 2007 8:23 am
pherplexed

Thanks for posting that thread, DiscoDad... I remember reading that a few days ago, but couldn't remember which forums I saw it on! I'm wondering now if I should return the kit. Seems kinda silly to pay $200 just so I can skip songs with my steering wheel. I contacted the retailer and he said it is supposed to pause the iPod without a doubt and that either the software on my iPod is too recent or the unit is broken.

xtc wrote:
Mine pauses if you switch the radio or the engine off, but not if you change audio sources or the phone rings... But from other posts I'm lucky that mine does even that!

Where did you purchase yours from? I got the 'stripped version' from DiscountStereo (same kit, just doesn't include the cradle and usb kit for the glove box)

Quote:
Have you mounted the ipod dock yet? If not let me know and I'll post a pic off were I have mounted mine. Far more discrete and not on full view from the drivers window!

I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to devices in my car (no cradles or visible wires), so i snaked the iPod plug out right beneath the ash tray and just have my iPod lying in the little tray right there. It's hidden but visible enough from the driver's seat in case I need to access it. For the most part, i just leave my whole library on shuffle so i'm not having to access it much anyway.

Post #21786124th Oct 2007 5:05 pm
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Interesting thread, like mentioned above if I use the iPod headphone jack into the Aux socket I too experience an "ok" sound but that is all, not impressive.

However I also have one of those little illegal iPod transmitters so you can listen to the ipod through the radio. The sound when used this way is phenominal by comparison.

I have also used the iPod base station thinking that would be a line out socket but it sounds the same as taking the feed from the headphone socket.

Interestingly I have both the original iPod and the new iPod that can handle movies and both behave in the same way.

I am interested in the thread above that mentions a charger AND line out to see if that makes a difference.
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #21798124th Oct 2007 10:46 pm
pherplexed

Sigh. I'm returning the iPod connectivity kit. The vendor i bought it from agrees, something's wrong with it. It's supposed to pause the iPod when the car is off or when you switch to another audio source...and it's not charging it.

He says the kit is made by Dension for Land Rover, so he's been buying them direct from Dension but doesn't have any more left to send me a replacement. So if I want a replacement I'll have to go through the LR dealer. Big Cry That means it will cost about twice as much.

Oh well...back to square one with my iPod integration.

Post #21800125th Oct 2007 12:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >