Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Auto Box 'Sport Mode'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Auto Box 'Sport Mode'

Yesterday evening we finally tested a 2006 D3 TDV6 SE with an auto box....It was really amazing and the car felt very different compared to other 4x4s that I've driven in the past (Patrol, Land Cruiser etc).....let's hope the valuation of our old car is good enough to allow us to buy it!!

I'm looking for advice on the following.....whilst testing the car I slid it across from 'D' into command shift mode. I think this automatically puts the gearbox/car into 'Sport Mode'. Is this correct?

My understanding is that in Sport Mode, the gearbox would still function fully automatic but hang on to each ratio for a bit longer, only changing into Sequential when you start selecting gears manually. What actually happened is that upon moving the stick over from 'D', the car went straight into Sequential mode and didn't seem to change up until I pushed the gearlever forward.

What I would like to know is if the car will still shift automatically on it's own (at higher revs) if I don't manually change up? Question

Also, does the Sport Mode also affect the suspension settings such as ride height/firmness at the same time? I would think so given the amount of electronic control the car has over the pneumatic suspension, but I didn't really believe the salesman when he told me it does...

Thanks for any advice! Thumbs Up

Paul

Post #17618210th Jul 2007 9:48 am
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Paul,
To select 'Sport' mode you just move the lever over to the left and then leave it. The word 'Sport' will be shown in the display on the dashboard. If you then move it forward (to change up) or backward (to change down) then you automatically enter 'Comand Shift' mode. The selected gear is then shown on the display.

Hope this helps. Wink
 Back in the game!  
Post #17620710th Jul 2007 10:05 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It will eventually shift up automatically when in 'command shift' ...although I can't remember what the rev parameters are Confused

...the only time you can hold a gear to max revs in 'command shift' is in low range Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17621210th Jul 2007 10:17 am
henkreyn

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Auto Box 'Sport Mode'

PaulP wrote:

I'm looking for advice on the following.....whilst testing the car I slid it across from 'D' into command shift mode. I think this automatically puts the gearbox/car into 'Sport Mode'. Is this correct?

My understanding is that in Sport Mode, the gearbox would still function fully automatic but hang on to each ratio for a bit longer, only changing into Sequential when you start selecting gears manually.

That's correct
Quote:
What actually happened is that upon moving the stick over from 'D', the car went straight into Sequential mode and didn't seem to change up until I pushed the gearlever forward.
That's not correct, the gearbox should change gears automatically, a bit later then in D, but not dramatically
Quote:

What I would like to know is if the car will still shift automatically on it's own (at higher revs) if I don't manually change up? Question
Once in command mode it will eventually shift to a higher gear but very late

Quote:

Also, does the Sport Mode also affect the suspension settings such as ride height/firmness at the same time? I would think so given the amount of electronic control the car has over the pneumatic suspension, but I didn't really believe the salesman when he told me it does...

Sport mode does not change the suspension settings, the suspension will lower 30mm if you more than 160 km/h
 TDV6 HSE Stornaway Grey, black interior  
Post #17634310th Jul 2007 2:45 pm
PaulP

henkreyn wrote:
That's not correct, the gearbox should change gears automatically, a bit later then in D, but not dramatically

OK....maybe I just didn't let it rev high enough before I manually changed up....I didn't really fancy red-lining it with the salesman in the car Very Happy

henkreyn wrote:
Sport mode does not change the suspension settings, the suspension will lower 30mm if you more than 160 km/h

That kind of makes makes sense....I can see that dropping it down at 160 is probably necessary as a safety measure, but to be honest who would regularly drive a D3 at this speed? Whistle Wouldn't lowering the suspension at around 100km/h help the fuel economy as well as improving safety in case of sudden swerving etc?

I did try to argue that I don't recall reading anywhere about the D3 changing it's suspension settings in Sport mode but the salesman was adamant it does. (must have been desperate for a sale Evil or Very Mad )

Does that mean that the car can only control the ride height and not the stiffness of the suspension?

Thanks for your help!

Post #17642610th Jul 2007 5:42 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

PaulP wrote:
Wouldn't lowering the suspension at around 100km/h help the fuel economy
Don't see how it could help there Confused
PaulP wrote:
as well as improving safety in case of sudden swerving etc?
That's where DSC comes in Wink The End  
Post #17644210th Jul 2007 6:09 pm
PaulP

Slimer wrote:
PaulP wrote:
Wouldn't lowering the suspension at around 100km/h help the fuel economy
Don't see how it could help there Confused

Lowering a vehicle is one way to improve it's aerodynamics and reduce it's drag coefficient, thereby reducing the force (i.e. power) needed to push it through the air.

i.e. a lower(ed) car would need slightly less power to keep it at a constant speed and therefore fuel economy would increase...........

At least in theory anyway. I guess the figures could get skewed when we're talking about a 2700kg brick on wheels though Razz

Slimer wrote:
PaulP wrote:
as well as improving safety in case of sudden swerving etc?
That's where DSC comes in Wink

OK....I agree fully on this one Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #17648910th Jul 2007 8:02 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

henkreyn wrote:

I thought it was 130km/h. Confused
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #17664211th Jul 2007 1:12 am
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

caverD3 wrote:
henkreyn wrote:

I thought it was 130km/h. Confused

130 australian Km, (everything is bigger in OZ) Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #17664811th Jul 2007 7:21 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not really just the land mass..................and my dog. Whistle
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #17665311th Jul 2007 7:47 am
catweasel

the good doctor was also reffering to our manhood Thumbs Up

Post #17670811th Jul 2007 10:48 am
DiscoDad

CW, are you English or Australian? Or is it a case of 'whoever is winning at the time'? Laughing
 Back in the game!  
Post #17672511th Jul 2007 12:11 pm
catweasel

I'm Engalian Rolling Eyesalthough your last point is more apt

Post #17673811th Jul 2007 12:43 pm
DiscoDad

Laughing Thumbs Up
 Back in the game!  
Post #17686311th Jul 2007 5:43 pm
catweasel

PaulP wrote:
Lowering a vehicle is one way to improve it's aerodynamics and reduce it's drag coefficient, thereby reducing the force (i.e. power) needed to push it through the air.
correct me if I'm wrong but from watching GP cars and listening to the learned commentators, lowering a car helps suck it to the road giving it more downforce requiring more force to push it along and it is a brick we are talking about.
which argument is winning DD so I know who to support.

Post #17705312th Jul 2007 8:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >