Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

Auto dip is stressing me!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
pdes

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Auto dip is stressing me!!!

How are you getting on with the auto-dipping headlights? I am in rural Cambridgeshire so the thought of this feature really appealed to me. However, I don't feel that they are sensitive enough and I often get flashed by oncoming vehicles before the beams dip. The constant watching to make sure the beams have dipped before dazzling someone is causing me a load of stress such that I have now deactivated the auto-dip. I also found that constantly worrying about whether dip had occurred on time and watching for the blue dash light to go out made me lose some concentration.

Am I alone in this or are others feeling the stress? Crying or Very sad
 D4 HSE MY2015
8 Speed
Causeway Grey
Towpack
Surround cameras (joke!)
Vision assist
Extended roof rails
Rear Ladder
Remote heat
Prospeed sliders with steps 

Post #145079630th Mar 2015 1:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I know what you mean. They are reactive, so can only dip when the car 'sees' the other vehicle. Whereas you would probably realise that a vehicle was coming around the next corner, or over the brow of a hill, and dip before they appeared.

Post #145080230th Mar 2015 1:45 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

And there was me last week think how great they were on the Pembrokeshire roads. I thought they performed perfectly... going off at the hint of an oncoming. I'm easily pleased Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #145080530th Mar 2015 1:58 pm
Muddy Steve

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Re: Auto dip is stressing me!!!

pdes wrote:
How are you getting on with the auto-dipping headlights? I am in rural Cambridgeshire so the thought of this feature really appealed to me. However, I don't feel that they are sensitive enough and I often get flashed by oncoming vehicles before the beams dip. The constant watching to make sure the beams have dipped before dazzling someone is causing me a load of stress such that I have now deactivated the auto-dip. I also found that constantly worrying about whether dip had occurred on time and watching for the blue dash light to go out made me lose some concentration.

Am I alone in this or are others feeling the stress? Crying or Very sad

Sounds daft but have the dealer check the sensor thingy on the windscreen, had a problem with my Auto wipers and it turned out to be this, the Techy guy told me they have loads of problems with them
 MY16 HSE Firenze Red Loving it
MY14 XS (Gone and missing it like mad)
Firenze Red
Remote FBH (Beanie)
20" 510 style with Scorpions
19" 704 style with Duratracs (Once the winter comes) 

Post #145080830th Mar 2015 2:12 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
And there was me last week think how great they were on the Pembrokeshire roads. I thought they performed perfectly... going off at the hint of an oncoming. I'm easily pleased Laughing

I find that they do get better on a longer journey, and at higher speeds. Where they do have issues is when approaching a car from behind. You have to get pretty close before it reacts.

Then again DG, yours was probably the only car on the road in Pembrokeshire, so it worked flawlessly Thumbs Up

Post #145081130th Mar 2015 2:17 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

DG wrote:

I guess it only has to beat your reactions for it to be 'good'.

Laughing
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #145081330th Mar 2015 2:19 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Hit and miss for me

Post #145081430th Mar 2015 2:22 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I never liked it - never seemed to work on the sport...but then I couldn't stand the adaptive lights either...never had them since
 Mike  
Post #145086030th Mar 2015 3:49 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

For those who like a bit of reading Smile

Quote:
High Beam Assist Operation

The high beam assist operates as part of the automatic headlight system. When driving at night with the lighting control switch in the automatic position and the left steering column multifunction switch in the central position, with sufficient darkness (approximately 1 lux or less) and a suitable road speed, the high beam assist will automatically operate the high beam lighting when necessary. A warning symbol in the IC confirms to the driver when the high beam assist system is selected and enabled.

NOTES:

noteThe function of the normal 'blue' high beam indicator remains unchanged and it always reflects the actual status of the high beam lamps

noteThe exterior lighting 'on' threshold for the auto headlamps system is approximately 100 lux which is measured by the rain/light sensor. At light levels below this value the low beam headlamps and exterior lights will be switched on. The high beam assist will not function until the light level has reached approximately 1 lux. At light levels above 1 lux high beam is not required and therefore is not activated.

Activation (system ready)

High beam assist will only activate and illuminate the warning indicator to show system is ready or 'primed' for high beam control, when the following conditions are met:

High beam assist has been first 'enabled' via the IC menu
Lighting control switch is in the 'Auto' position
Left steering column multifunction switch in the central position
The ambient light level is below 100 lux – refer to 'Light Levels' section that follows
The system has not been overridden or cancelled – refer to 'Override' section that follows
The camera (image) sensor view is not blocked.
High Beam Control

When activated, high beam assist will switch the headlamps to high beam when all the following conditions occur:

No relevant oncoming traffic
No relevant preceding traffic
In non-urban environment, i.e. with no street lighting
Ambient light level is below 1 lux – refer to 'Light Levels' section that follows
Road speed is suitable – refer to 'Road Speed' section that follows.
Low Beam Control

When activated, high beam assist will switch the headlamps to low beam when any of the following conditions occur:

Relevant Oncoming traffic is present
Relevant Preceding traffic is present
In urban environment, i.e. with street lighting
Ambient light level is above 1 lux – refer to 'Light Levels' section that follows
Road speed is not suitable – refer to 'Road Speed' section that follows
Unrecognisable reflective inputs from road signs or markings – refer to 'System Limitations' section that follows.
Light Levels

The exterior lighting 'on' threshold for the normal 'auto headlamps' feature is approximately 100 lux and is measured by the windscreen mounted 'rain/light' sensor. When the light level falls to this value the low beam headlamps and exterior lights will be switched on together with the high beam assist warning indicator.

This warns the driver that the system is activated and ready to automatically switch on the high beam headlamps when the light level falls a little further to approximately 1 lux, as measured by the 'ambient light sensor' located in the mirror body. High beam is generally not required with light levels above 1 lux.

Road Speed

A road speed signal is received by the CJB from the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) module via the high speed CAN bus. When the other activation conditions are correct, the CJB will switch the headlamps to high beam when the road speed has increased above 40 km/h (25 mph).

When the road speed falls to below 24 km/h (15mph), the CJB will switch the headlamps to low beam. The 10 mph (15 km/h) difference between the on and off road speed thresholds prevents the system continually switching between high and low beam at low speeds.

Override

The driver can manually override the high beam assist system at any time. When the high beam assist system is activated, pulling the left steering column multifunction switch to the high beam 'flash' position or pushing it forward to the high beam position will de-activate the system and the high beam assist warning indicator in the IC will extinguish.

When the multifunction switch is returned to the central position, from a forward high beam position, the system is re-activated and the high beam assist warning indicator will illuminate again.

Correct Performance

In addition, high beam assist will only exhibit best performance if all of the following conditions are met:

No false inputs are received by the camera (image) sensor, such as reflected light from certain static signs – refer to 'System Limitations' section that follows
Headlamps are correctly aligned
High beam assist system has been set for correct 'hand of traffic' via the driver menu settings – refer to 'Setting Hand of Traffic' section that follows
Camera (image) sensor has been through a self learning 'auto aim' calibration procedure if any components have been replaced – refer to 'Calibration' section that follows
There are no large reflective items, white papers, etc., sitting on top of the dash board in near view of the camera (image) sensor, or stickers placed directly in front of the camera (image) sensor
Driver Menu Features

The high beam assist feature must first be enabled using the configuration menu available in the IC. However if required, the high beam assist system can be permanently disabled leaving the basic 'Auto Lamps' system still operative.

Within this menu the system can also be configured for driving on the alternate side of the road (Hand of Traffic). This enables the system to be used in different regions and it's setting is important for correct operation.

Setting 'Hand of Traffic' and High Beam Assist 'Enable'

To set the high beam assist options the following steps must be sequenced:

With the ignition in power mode 6 (ignition on), and the engine not running, use the controls on the steering wheel to select on the IC menu:
Menu > Vehicle Set-up > High Beam Assist
Configure the 'Hand of Traffic' setting by selecting the appropriate 'Drive on Left' (of road) or 'Drive on Right' (of road) to the applicable Market condition
Enable the feature by setting 'Activate Assist' if not already selected.
noteNOTE: Enabling or disabling high beam assist will not affect the ‘Hand of Traffic’ settings once set.

The IC menu also includes a 'High Beam Assist Sensitivity' selection. This is a requirement option for NAS market vehicles only but it is not recommended for normal use and has been superseded.

noteNOTE: In other markets the 'Sensitivity' selection is greyed out and cannot be selected.

For additional information, refer to: Instrument Cluster (413-01 Instrument Cluster, Description and Operation).

System Limitations

The high beam assist system can occasionally have difficulty distinguishing between light from other vehicles or reflected light from static highly reflective road signs.

These situations may cause the high beam assist system to undesirably operate the high beam headlamps or take no action at all. Examples of these situations are as follows:

Dips, hollows or crests in the road
Highly reflective static Road signs
Tight bends
Poorly illuminated vehicles e.g. cyclists or small mopeds
Motorway central barriers
Extreme weather conditions e.g. Fog, heavy snow
Exterior domestic or industrial lighting
Reflective Static Signs

-
Red reflective signs could be detected as rear tail lamps
-
Large reflective signs could affect the system
Manual Deactivation

Vehicle equipped with high beam assist
-
Oncoming vehicle headlamps can be seen by the driver before the high beam assist image sensor detects the oncoming light input
There are situations when a driver is able to judge if a high beam deactivation is desirable before the high beam assist system actually operates, for example over a crest of a hill. Headlamps from an oncoming vehicle can sometimes be seen on the horizon prior to the detection sensor receiving an input. It is the driver's preference to determine if early intervention is desired in this and similar situations.

System Diagnosis

noteNOTE: Windshield stickers, stone chips, dirt and general road film will affect the successful operation of the image sensor if sufficient blocking is present. Avoid placing reflective objects on the instrument panel, for example white paper which can affect the image sensor.

High beam assist has a self diagnosis capability by comparing data from the ambient light sensor input (located in the rear view mirror) to light levels detected by the image sensor. If a deviation is detected it is assumed that the ambient light available to the image sensor is being restricted by dirt or other blockage and the system will be deactivated. Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)'s are stored in the control module's memory and can be accessed using an approved Land Rover diagnostic system. Within the diagnostic system is a procedure to test the basic operation of the camera function.

In the event of a fault, the warning strategy to the driver is as follows:

Image sensor internal fault - green icon will extinguish with no additional message to driver
CJB has lost all communication with image sensor - green icon will extinguish with no additional message to driver
Image sensor blocked - green icon will extinguish with an additional "High Beam Assist Sensor Blocked" message within the message centre
System Calibration

To achieve effective operation of the high beam assist system, a calibration routine is performed on vehicle build and system tolerances are set to an accuracy of +/- 0.2 degrees.

This initial calibration is a 'one time only' procedure. Should the high beam assist components or the windshield require replacement at the dealership, an automatic calibration routine will be performed. This 'auto aim' calibration procedure is a continual process that takes place during a normal drive cycle at night and could take between 10 - 30 minutes dependant on the following driving conditions:

If sufficient road markings (lane markings) are visible to the image sensor - approximately 10 minutes
If insufficient road markings are visible, the system uses the tail lights of preceding vehicles - approximately 30 minutes.
NOTES:

noteUntil this calibration is complete the system may not react correctly during operation. This should be made clear to the customer before vehicle handover. During any calibration or rectification work the headlamps should be checked for correct alignment.

noteDue to mechanical calibration tolerance the correct mirror assembly must be used for the vehicle model types in question and it is not exchangeable with other vehicle model types.

noteAfter any rectification work and before any calibration drives, the headlamps should be checked for correct alignment.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #145106630th Mar 2015 8:51 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've just retro fitted it and I think it's great
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #145108230th Mar 2015 9:08 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

Gareth wrote:
Where they do have issues is when approaching a car from behind. You have to get pretty close before it reacts.

Then again DG, yours was probably the only car on the road in Pembrokeshire, so it worked flawlessly Thumbs Up

Strange this, I have the same thoughts and yet last night on way home, came around a bend to see a car way in the distance (2/3 km away ) driving away from me so only tail lights and the car dipped; took me by surprise as I was reaching for the light stalk to dip them anyway.

I do have access on the infotron interface to 3 settings for autolights which basically sets how early they come on, I assume it calculates from time of day and ambient light the sensors sees when to turn on but I wonder if it also changes the characteristics on the reactions Confused
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #145117131st Mar 2015 6:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigVDawgy

United States 2011 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Nara BronzeLR4

Ent wrote:

What did you have to do to retrofit? Was it just replacing the mirror with one that had the High Beam Assist capability? Was there a need to do any programming via IIDTool for it to be recognized?

Post #14556319th Apr 2015 3:35 am
ExExPatSteve

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Have been really happy with it, only time it has needed overriding has been on 'unusual' twisty roads where it doesn't see the oncoming lights in time.

Only have very rare flashes from other cars so assume it reacts quick enough.
 Steve

D4 My15 SDV6 HSE Kaikoura Stone - Coming this week maybe...
D1 My97 300tdi ES Aintree Green - long gone

Changed the country flag ready for next week... 

Post #14559159th Apr 2015 3:51 pm
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Mine is turned off. It's too slow to react and doesn't react to car waiting at a T junction i.e. no lights pointing at my car so it stays on main beam.

Post #146119420th Apr 2015 1:23 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ent wrote:

Lee, this was just a change of the Mirror with the AHB module in it and a CCF change?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #17029358th Sep 2016 3:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >