Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Auto Gear Change...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Auto Gear Change...

I saw earlier posts about the sticky auto change lever...& it could be fixed by removing parts (carefully) then cleaning & lubricating these.
Mine went weird this AM a cold start but then erratic selection of gears & loss of drive at a couple of points (scary)

taking to my local dealer they said its one of two fixes:
1) just needs cleaning & lubricating....low cost fix
or
2) its needs more parts (cable, selector &c.)...not such a low cost fix
........the dreaded call back confirmed it was "2" I need a new selector cable & a new selector cost £315..00 ish...parts to be ordered.

I would have thought that an off road vehicle would have had a selector that is less prone to dirt & corrosion...or would have been a regular service item that had to be greased up.........you would have thought
Question: is this a service item ?
Considering my 3 year old vehicle with 32k miles driven isn't an old car I am a bit miffed...actually appalled....could non-regular use of vehicle contributed to this ?
I am asking the garage as to what they do to prevent a re occurrence...I have suggested teflon based cycle grease which I have used on the front suspension "grinding bit" to good effect
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #60167111th Feb 2010 7:09 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A new cable and selector? MEthinks Id be taking it for a 2nd opinion TBH...

Thought about DIY? http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31656.html
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #60168511th Feb 2010 7:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alan G

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I know the handbook states.

Driving in arduous conditions

When a vehicle is operated in extremely arduous conditions, more frequent attention must be paid to servicing requirements.

For example:

If your vehicle experiences deep wading conditions, even daily servicing could be necessary to ensure the continued safe and reliable operation of the vehicle.

Arduous driving conditions include:

• Driving in dusty and/or sandy conditions.

• Driving on rough and/or muddy roads and/or wading.

• Driving in extremely hot conditions.

• Towing a trailer or driving in mountainous conditions.

This is maybe one of these areas that we need to keep on top of ourselves?
 ATB

Alan

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bonzo676767#p/u 

Post #60169911th Feb 2010 7:52 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

Arduous Conditions.....

2nd Opinion...difficult as its in bits at the dealers...parts removed
My disco hasn't been off road ...yet
has been kept clean off road salt....hasnt waded
most of its miles on Motorways regular roads.....in Yorkshire...which are a bit agricultural bot hardly rough
its neither Hot, dusty...or arduous..

This is a brilliant example of servicing vehicles at extended intervals just doesn't work & the attention to detail ought to include linkages like these.
...after all they will probably grease the door hinges that are sealed at a service....nonsence

I ma compiling a long letter to land-rover on this
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #60171111th Feb 2010 8:14 pm
BLFarrar

Auto gaear change repair...

now completed £376.......

I am not at all happy that this has failed on a car that is just 3 & a half years old (should last the life of the car)
added to the fact it s a utility off road vehicle so contanmination with water / mud / salt ought to be expected.
....If its a design problem LR should stand over the product.......other makers do
....If its a service issue the area should recieve attention at each service to prevent the problem or react to the situation to feed data back to LR so they can organise a recall.....

After all at services the flaming door hinges are greased...so why not the auto box linkage ?
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #60396515th Feb 2010 8:08 pm
BLFarrar

I asked

for the parts that were change out on this repair......the major part is in fact the selector quadrant....big plastic assembly
with the whole mechanism that has an interlock (presumably operated by the footbrake) a printed circuit board with position sensing & the actual flexible cable that goes to the gearbox lever.
All that seems to be wrong with this is that the cable rod end is a bit bent.....the actual cable sheath & inner sliding part are operating OK...no sign of sticking or ingress of muck & salt....

What I have been told is that there is a "brass" bush on the gearbox lever assembly & this seizes with its mating part (well shown on here by others)....I can only surmise when this gets stiff & gets even more stiff & stuck - movement of the gear shift bends the end of the cable.

To effect the fix....
...they have stripped cleaned & lubricated the bush & pin....
...then just replaced the cable / quadrant assembly..

.........maybe If I had been here to have my say I would have straightened the cable (easily done)...
.....the actual selector mechanism appears to be all OK...I reckon it could easily be reused.....& its marked made in Germany "FoMoCo" - maybe a common part with other Ford vehicles...

What beats me is that in the design of the vehicle - the detail of the pin & bush being open to water / contamination of salt dirt etc isn't better protected, or maybe the bush made with a more capable material (e.g. IGUS "Iglidur" a polymer that is replacing many non-ferrous bearing bush applications in the engineering industry)......either the design isn't right - they chose the wrong material or the mechanism ought to be made to be lubricated.

I wonder if the Disco 4 has the same parts or has been modified to overcome / prevent this ?

Landrover do indeed do recalls of safety parts quite rightly they have to ......but this fault isn't something insignificant or inconvenient - when it goes wrong you cant select gear & even if you do it "drops out of drive"...you cannot use the vehicle...potentially its unsafe as the fault could happen in the worst place - not in a car park a few miles from the garage - but miles from anywhere on top of a mountain in bad conditions..mine gave little warning...one day it worked & the next it didn't

I wonder if there is a service bulletin that will modify the service schedule...that could lead to a recall ?
no doubt others on here will enlighten us
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #60547518th Feb 2010 7:17 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I had mine replaced last year under warranty. There is/was a TSB relating to this.

Post #60561018th Feb 2010 12:52 pm
BLFarrar

Does anyone out there....

know what the bulletin actually detailed ?
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #60748021st Feb 2010 7:32 pm
NJF

BL,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I have an 80,000 km 2007 D3, now out of warranty. I have decided not to buy the extended warranty, although I'm aware that might prove to be an expensive decision. I think that faults found under warranty should be fixed under warranty. Faults found after the expiry of the warranty period need not be fixed unless the dealer wished to make a goodwill contribution (they would be wise to do so IMHO). I don't dwell on whether this or that part should or should not break. If the car was a lemon I wouldn't buy another. Mine has most certainly been a peach. If something breaks from now on, I'll just accept that it's likely to be an expense for my wallet, no matter how durable I suppose the part should be.

NJF

Post #60749321st Feb 2010 7:48 pm
BLFarrar

Im still in

a position to get a warranty....
& question whether this would have been covered ?

Realistically wear parts will fail but a gear change mechanism I should last more than 3 years 30k miles especially if the vehicle hasn't been "off roaded" - having said that its an off road vehicle....
Im working out which way to deal with this.....

Its either:
a design problem (maybe the D4 has had this engineered out)
a manufacturing problem (the shaft that got stuck should be grease packed)
A service problem (if this is seen as needing to be stripped cleaned greased & replaced...it is)

the matter brings into question the fitness for purpose of the vehicle...if you cant select gears 'the vehicle just dont go"
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #60751221st Feb 2010 8:12 pm
Land Rover Nat

United Kingdom 

Just had my car done last Thursday. It was in for a 4 year service and MOT. At one stage prior to going in I had to use two hands to select drive. Not sure exactly what Frank Ogg's did but some parts were fitted. A track rod had to be sorted as there was a warning on the MOT. Total £577 so the parts for the gearstick could not have been much. Gearstick very easy to move now.

Post #60777422nd Feb 2010 10:35 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If it wasnt expensive, they will have only replaced the pivot on the sdie of the gearbox
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #60778422nd Feb 2010 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >