DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Auto Gearbox First gear issues engine hesitaion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Wildrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Auto Gearbox First gear issues engine hesitaion

Hi All

Well had the car a couple of weeks now and have been trying to resolve an engine hesitation issue.
Symptons
noisey up to 2000 RPM a kind of whirring sound
Hesitates at high RPM
First fuel filter, Yes Hi and Low lines crossed ,but did not solve what seemed like a miss at cruising.
Blanked EGR valves hesitation resolved at cruising still left with issue in first <2000RPM
So now in first gear under accelaration up to 2000 RPM whiring noise from engine/gearbox and hesitation until it hits 2000 RPM then goes great

Any suggetsions please looking for next steps Rolling Eyes
I had a manual for 6 years is this what I am supposed to expect from an Auto
2006 2.7 TD
 2007 D3 HSE Artic Frost Silverish
Wandering Aussie-Looking for SUN

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional. 

Post #79933122nd May 2011 11:30 pm
garrycol

Australia 

In the good ole days autos had mechanical kickdown - now they have computer controlled kickdown and depending on its programming it does not work as well.

When slowing down to stop or to go through a roundabout - the gearbox changes down as you slow but in my experience it only goes down as low as 3rd sometimes 2nd and does not go into first until you actually stopped.

However before you have stopped, if you decide to proceed with some haste (light turned green or a space on the roundabout) and put the foot down - the gearbox gets a bit confused - do I change down or wait - when it realises you want to go it changes down and off you go - you in the drivers seat get the - I am not going anywhere feeling and then after a little while it all comes together and off you go. No problem with a cable operated kickdown but the modern ECU knows better than you.

To be fair - I suspect it is programmed that way so to let the turbo to spool up before it kickdowns. Try the same scenario with Command Shift and there is no delay and no issues (so not a turbo lag issue) - it is only in auto. Sport mode is a little better but the problem still exist.

Some people have got software upgrades done to the gearbox ecu and have reported that it does make a lot of improvement.

So a software issue - my 07MY RRS does it and when I need to get the box looked I will also get the software upgrade done.

Garry

Last edited by garrycol on 23rd May 2011 12:39 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #79938323rd May 2011 11:08 am
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes, LR/ZF issued a software update for this (ZF Trouble Shooting Guide, JLR 13 38 10_2E). It solved similar problem for me.

Regards,
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #79940023rd May 2011 11:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >