Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

auto or manual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ej

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
auto or manual

Thinking of bying disco and not sure what to get . I drive on the road for eighty percent of the time and need four wheel drive for snow and light off roading . would you go for the auto or manual ? The dealers say that I should get an auto as they are the most popular in the country , but dont sell that well in north wales . Are they right or just extracting the urine

ej

Post #4849019th Mar 2006 10:28 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I think it has to be personal preference. I had a manual disco3 for a year and if I got another I'd go for an auto this time round
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #4849419th Mar 2006 11:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

I have always hated auto boxes. However, my new D3 is an SE Auto and it is great. I dont miss the manual at all.

Why?

My main reason for changing was the electronic park brake - which apparently works 'less well' on the manual car - especially hill-starts.

Second was the fact that it is a 6-speed auto with command shift. This effectively allows me to control the six speed anyway if I feel the need for manual control.

Next, I was advised (by non-sales-staff) that the Auto was light-years ahead of previous auto boxes and it should last longer than a manual with a clutch - I think they meant that in 100000 miles I wouldn't need to be getting a new clutch.

Finally, I may be getting lazy in my old age but I'm really enjoying it. Laughing

Post #4849519th Mar 2006 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
afp001

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Iv'e always liked auto boxes, so it was an easy decision to make. Taking a test drive isn't nearly enough to enjoy all the virtues of this very clever gearbox. Anyway, if you let the gearbox handle all the transmission needs, it leaves you free to play with all the other toys.

Hope this helps.

Alan
 TDV6 SE auto, Java / Alpacca
2010 Mini Cooper S Conv. Pepper White, Blue roof
2010 Jaguar XJ, Caviar with Cashew seats, B&W 1200W Hifi 

Post #4849719th Mar 2006 11:30 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

I went for the manual, after 3 months the car is in the dealers and has been for 5 days now for a new clutch, flywheel and gearbox selector forks, still not sure when I am getting it back! I did like the manual box but if I could start again I would definately go for the automatic.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #4849819th Mar 2006 11:42 am
drivesafe

Australia 

The only real advantage to having a manual box these days is that a manual is supposed to be more fuel efficient but this still depends on how you drive.

Also you can't clutch start an auto.

But there are just so many advantages to having an auto that it would take ages to list them.

Main ones are being able to have both hands on the steering wheel at all times, particularly when off roading.

You never have to worry about changing up or down at the right revs.

And who cares about a hill start with an auto.

And the most important one of all, as posted above, if your lazy like me, a manual is out.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #4850019th Mar 2006 11:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >