Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Auto shift lever very stiff - HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
RoveRPh

2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Belize GreenLR3
Auto shift lever very stiff - HELP

My wifes LR3 auto shift lever has become very stiff. It feels like something in the linkage under the console is binding up. As the nearest dealer is over 2 hours drive away, I'd like to see if I can fix it myself. I cannot figure out how to get the console that the shift lever goes into off so I can see what's going on in there. As it's the wifes car, it's possible that one of the kids has stuck something in there, or that they stood on the lever when crawling around in the car, bending something. I'd like to get this fixed myself, and save myself the time it would take to get it to the dealer.

The car is useable now, but it is difficult to get into "Drive" sometimes and I have to jam the lever back to get it into "D".
 www.1961airstream.blogspot.com  
Post #31091516th Jun 2008 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Welcome RoveRPh!!! Can't you call LR assistance (don't know what cover you have in the old colonies), if it is difficult to change gear and it needs the lever jammed in place sounds like a job for them to come out to you???

Post #31091816th Jun 2008 5:38 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Welcome Thumbs Up

Put the gear lever in park and pull upwards ..that will remove the top of the gear lever .

Undo the torx screw that holds the EPB lever .Remove the rubber tray near the ashtray / aux sockets.

Then the whole top of the center consul lifts up.Be careful as there are 3 or 4 wire connectors under there .
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #31091916th Jun 2008 5:40 pm
RoveRPh

DSL wrote:
Welcome RoveRPh!!! Can't you call LR assistance (don't know what cover you have in the old colonies), if it is difficult to change gear and it needs the lever jammed in place sounds like a job for them to come out to you???

Perhaps. If I can't get it figured out I'll give them a call. In the US, Land Rover is a "Boutique" brand, and the service normally sucks. Our local Chevy or Ford garage will send a truck, not sure about the LR, MB, BMW, Jag, Porsche dealer I bought from. This is why I love my 73 109. I can fix everthing myself with a butter knife and bailing wire.
Post #31092116th Jun 2008 5:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

as Wiggs said... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

make sure the manual wire loop for the handbrake goes back where it belongs as well.
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #31101816th Jun 2008 11:19 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

forget all that Rolling Eyes , get underneath and check the linkage there. There is a known issue with the locknut on the selector input shaft, if it looks loose or stripped - DO NOT TOUCH - get off to a dealer for a warranty fix, any attempted fix from yourself is likely to lead them claiming that you broke it leaving you with a bill for a new gearbox (plus fitting) Shocked

Post #31102316th Jun 2008 11:29 pm
RoveRPh

Land Rover is having it towed 2 hours by their company and fixing it. All covered under warranty. I got to thinking, and why buy a new vehicle if you don't intend to use the warranty? Thanks everyone for all your help.

John
Post #31102716th Jun 2008 11:55 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The right way to do it! Thumbs Up

Post #31102916th Jun 2008 11:59 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Yup, what TFC said. Seems to be becoming a really common fault.

But if warranty is paying for it, then Thumbs Up

Post #31104217th Jun 2008 5:30 am
catweasel

RoveRPh wrote:
I got to thinking
thats what I would've done before posting Laughing  
Post #31106317th Jun 2008 9:01 am
DSL

Ukraine 

RoveRPh just ignore cw, he's just a grumpy ex-pat stuck in one of our antipodean ex colonies!!! Wink Wink

CW shouldn't you be off down the docks to get the boat back here for your summer adventure??? Shocked Shocked

Post #31106617th Jun 2008 9:09 am
catweasel

we use planes in this country, they are like birds and fly but are made from aluminium (correctly spelled) and carry people. much faster than a boat and we use an invention called an airport. Laughing

you can hit me in a few weeks (if you can catch me Whistle )

Post #31106717th Jun 2008 9:13 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Will set the robots after you on the factory tour!!! Whistle Whistle Wink

Post #31107317th Jun 2008 9:19 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

In getting the dealer to fix it, you've done the right thing. I had the same issue on mine earlier this year. The gear selector lever was getting stiffer, though as it did so gradually, I didn't notice. I took the car to the dealer because it had started slipping out of gear and they told me there was a known issue with part of the selector linkage seizing and causing this problem. They sorted out the linkage under warranty and it was immediately noticeable how much freer the selector had become.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #31108717th Jun 2008 9:53 am
RoveRPh

catweasel wrote:
RoveRPh wrote:
I got to thinking
thats what I would've done before posting Laughing

Good one! However I meant it. I did some thinking about it and decided the best course of action is to have the dealer take care of it. I will do the vast majority of repair and service work on every car I ever own, still in warranty or not. I do not trust "professionals" to do work on my cars. I've found loose wheel nuts on my car too many times after having work done. I posted in hopes that this was a common problem with a simple fix. It looks like it is a bit more involved than I had thought, so off to the dealer it goes.
Post #31117317th Jun 2008 1:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >