Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Auto versus manual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
SGK

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Thank’s for all the answers – that looks very decisive. I don’t think anyone could pick a manual after reading this thread.
Using the Discovery mainly to drive to work, transporting the family and being only the occasional weekend warrior, automatic it will be.
By the way, even hardcore 4WD magazines down under seem to have accepted that auto makes bush bashing easier – but I am sure that you could get more out of manual, if you really know, what you are doing. Well, hmmm, doesn’t seem to completely apply to me.
Reminds me of a recent review of the Disco 3 in Australia, where a journalist only put it 2nd. The reason for it?
An inexperienced driver could go much further in a Disco 3 than in any other 4WD – thus endangering himself. Now that is a danger I for one can live with Smile
 Prado Grande --> D3 --> D4 ... its getting better all the time Smile  
Post #6305010th Jun 2006 11:31 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Many very experienced offroaders swap out a manual box for an auto. Thats why many Disco auto boxes are finding their way into Defenders. Even Simon Buck of Devon 4x4 now puts auto's in his competition vehicles. He reckons the box knows best in most situations, and the way an auto changes gear means there is no momentary free wheel like in a manual. In soft sand or deep mud or loose steep gradients, that can make all the differeence between keeping moving and getting stuck. And it leaves the driver more time to concentrate on everything else. Also the clutch is a distinct weakness on a manual - much stronger on an auto. Even down hill, an auto is fine as long as the driver can tell it to hold first.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #6305311th Jun 2006 12:21 am
highbridgeflyer

United Kingdom 

Hello new to the site, so er HELLO Very Happy

During the course of my job I spend a lot of time in both the auto and manual versions and most of that off road. For me the auto wins every time. Seems to be a much better vehical and with the option of command shift too.

Just my opinion Wink

Post #6307711th Jun 2006 6:35 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

highbridgeflyer wrote:

Just my opinion Wink

Your opinion is always welcome, on this site the madder the better (as U will find out/will have found out).

Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter Bow down

Post #6308011th Jun 2006 7:28 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Having tested both, Auto won hands down.

Post #6314312th Jun 2006 1:38 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Auto boxes are prone to overheating when loaded hard such as extended towing up inclines or offroading in certain conditions - although the D3 box will enter limp home untill cooled sufficiently. Torque converters are prone to problems in the same way as manual clutches, in fact, the D3 now has an uprated clutch to overcome this. As demonstrated by RLD Shocked , the torque converter can also 'unlock' or fail to lock on hill decents - a problem with all auto's not D3 specific.
The auto boxes are a lot 'cleverer' than they used to be, smoother too - but until they develop one with eyes so that it can see what's coming next, i'll stick with a manual Wink

It is possible to cause Torque converter 'wind up' - a problem that usually needs a new converter and gearbox Shocked theoretically, it should be impossible to stall an auto and roll backwards on the transmission.... sometimes practical situations can override theories Wink

Post #6314412th Jun 2006 1:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
phips

Switzerland 

I am very happy with my manual gear box and agree with 10forcash

10forcash wrote:
- but until they develop one with eyes so that it can see what's coming next, i'll stick with a manual Wink

I must also say that I still enjoy changing the gears, it belongs to my idea of driving.

And on he subjet of mileage, after 1000 km I am avering 10.4 liter / 100 km this with the expedition roof rack mounted. Wink

Post #6317212th Jun 2006 4:08 pm
Martyn

United Kingdom 

The auto is fantastic, I test drove both and it won hands down. My other car is a BMW1 and a manual is on that car the best option, again I tested both.

Off road, last week i was on holiday in scotland and decided to go to the top of a small peak for watching the sunset. With the auto there is no loss of traction during changes whist climing on a slipery surface and on the decent using the manual shift and hdc it was so easy to control the car with no drama on the very steep heather. PS there were 6 of us on board and all were amazed.

Cheers...
Martyn
 06 Reg Discovery 3 TDV6S Auto Silver with Leather
2014 BMW M135i (on order)
07 BMW Z4M Roadster
02 Suzuki GSX1400 

Post #6325812th Jun 2006 9:10 pm
10forcash

..and that's partly what Penguin was saying, gear changes offroad can be hazardous unless done at the right time, possibly creating a situation where technology overtakes talent - and i'm not saying that all manual box drivers are more talented than auto box drivers off road (although some are Wink ) The auto will 'forgive' incorrect inputs to some extent, whereas you have to get it right with a manual, the trouble is, by the time you realise you've got it wrong with an auto, there's no other options left... Confused
In no way am I a luddite as far as progression of technology is concerned - the D3 auto box is a brilliant bit of kit - I simply prefer to be in control, no amount of command shift will give you that

Oh, and I don't want to pour 10 - 15% of my fuel into a fluid transmission coupling either Wink

Post #6325912th Jun 2006 9:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

Is this fuel desparados or the not so often mentioned bombay saphire??????? Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #6326212th Jun 2006 9:33 pm
10forcash

don't worry, the Bombay Sapphire is still flowing well Wink
and yes, you could well be right, the price gap is closing Shocked

Post #6326312th Jun 2006 9:34 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

10forcash wrote:
. I simply prefer to be in control, no amount of
command shift will give you that

Did I here Ed correctly on Saturday though TFC when he said that command shift in low will hold the selected gear to the rev limiter ??

I must say that I haven't driven a manual D3 so far be it for me to comment but the auto performed superbly over the weekend ...I was chuffed Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6326812th Jun 2006 9:42 pm
10forcash

DG, so will a manual Wink I wasn't there so I can't comment
The thought of TC wind-up gives me cold shivers though Confused

Post #6327312th Jun 2006 10:10 pm
tony bennett

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
DG, so will a manual Wink I wasn't there so I can't comment

A damn shame you were not there too Very Happy
 regards
tony
05 "Battlestar Galactica"
In 7 years ownership
09/13 New Battery (I did that)
11/13 new alternator. (I did that)
2 x EGR Blanked. (I did that ) 

Post #6327612th Jun 2006 10:21 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The engine will rev to the limiter in low range command shift, but whats the point in that? I find the auto very easy going.

There is a bug in the system though. If you are in low range, descending a steep hill using HDC, you may experience a regular lurch as the torque converter tips in and out of engagement, causing a kangaroo like descent of the hill. I originaly thought it was because I was in command shift, and using the wrong gear, but it will still do it if you leave it in Drive. The only solution I can find is to increase the HDC descent speed, or give a little blip of the throttle to help it along.

Post #6327712th Jun 2006 10:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >