DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Autobox refill concern.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

geoff. wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Ah, no the engine wasn't running - that could make a difference. I was using a digital thermometer on the oil that had come out - original intention had been to stick the probe into the sump through the fill hole.

that’s the issue , u must have the engine running and at the correct temperature

enclosed a write up for u and don’t forget to put the aircon on

the infrared thermometers are very good as u can then check the actual casing temp in different areas

as the oil is low, if i may suggest don’t drive it until it’s at the correct level

hope that’s helps Thumbs Up

don't beleive everything you read Whistle

Laughing

may i ask as ur the wizrad with these vehicles , what is the ultimate temp level to check them at please

basically do u check and cap at 40 c Thumbs Up

many thks as always as i know if it comes from ur good self it’s spot on Bow down

Post #192502511th Mar 2018 6:34 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Its simple - as per the official LR Workshop manual

"CAUTION: The gearbox fluid level must only be checked when the temperature of the fluid is between 30 degrees and 50 degrees. The fluid level obtained will be incorrect if the reading is outside this temperature range."

Pretty clear to me - anywhere between 30 and 50 and you are fine.

Post #192515712th Mar 2018 12:24 am
geoff.

England 

in my opinion 40 to 50 is to hot going by experience that is Thumbs Up

Last edited by geoff. on 12th Mar 2018 10:37 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #192522112th Mar 2018 9:56 am
CloudbaseJim

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Autobox refill concern.

cleland72 wrote:
. It was seriously tightly in - extension on my 1/2" ratchet to loosen it.

Hmmm!

I had to use a box spanner as an extension on my socket. When the plug finally broke loose, the box spanner flew out of my hands, bounced off the chassis and smashed me in the face.
End result a nice black eye but correct fluid levels.
Just drove a car full of skiers to the alps for a week, all of whom now want Discoverys Smile

Post #192523212th Mar 2018 10:14 am
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Garrycol, given LR also has a ‘sealed for life’ policy on the box which advocates a drain interval twice that of the gearbox manufacturer, I’d be more inclined to listen to the gearbox manufacturer ZF over an LR procedure.
Saying that they’re essentially the same as the ZF one says 40 deg +10 deg e.g. anywhere between 40-50 deg.

Post #192533512th Mar 2018 3:12 pm
gstuart

geoff. wrote:
in my opinion 40 to 50 is to hot going by experience that is Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up

Post #192539912th Mar 2018 6:53 pm
garrycol

Australia 

DiscoJeffster wrote:
Garrycol, given LR also has a ‘sealed for life’ policy on the box which advocates

Hmmmm LR does not have a 'sealed for life' policy that is absolute myth. The genuine service schedule is quite specific on the service interval for the gearbox. Yes it is a far greater interval than ZF recommend but it is not 'sealed for life'.

Is the above service procedure a ZF one? - I dont know but I have never seen it in a ZF document but I have seen it quite a few times on the internet where it originates from some LR independent.

Now if you dont want to follow the genuine LR workshop manual that is your choice - it is your car.

Post #192551912th Mar 2018 10:32 pm
gstuart

hi

wonder if there is a difference ref countries

just taken a screenshot of my owners manual ref the filled for life , but obviously sealed and filled are 2 x different things as u can gain access to the gearbox oil changes

this was the zf one and apologises as i certainly didn’t wish to cause an issue by asking Thumbs Up

i will get my coat Laughing

http://zftranspart.com/images/custom/6HP26-28_Catalog.pdf

Post #192555213th Mar 2018 12:55 am
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hi gstuart,

Originally LR maintained that the D3 auto box did not require oil changes and service intervals were not specified (i.e. it was filled for life). The only time it would be necessary to change any oil would be if other work was done on the box such as a filter change and then only the oil in the sump would be refreshed. We now know that that advice was incorrect, indeed LR now specify service intervals on the D4.

If anyone asks me, I don't hesitate to recommend that a Mega-flush is done, but I would advise caution as a flush can (while not the cause of a failing box) remove all the dirty oil and contaminants in the box and expose the true condition of a worn out box.

If your box is not showing signs of any problems or if it is showing some slight slippage then get a mega-flush. It will prolong gearbox life and improve performance. But if the slipping is more severe then it may be too late.

Post #192562213th Mar 2018 11:05 am
gstuart

hi alpha male Thumbs Up

many thks

for now i have got that california stop issue which i believe i need to get the software update from gap for the transfer box

bought 10x litres of the Mannol AG55 and was going to drop the oil , refill clear the adaptions and then add the software update

apart from the california issue it changes very smooth with no clunks, am just coming up to 100,000 miles and has got a full service history , but in all fairness it doesn’t specify if the ATF oil has been changed

indeed like many of us do , spent an extensive amount of time and money , giving it everything it needs , last job was treating the chassis inside and out with dinotrol

hopefully now the warmer weather should be coming and to move onto changing all the oils and very appreciative of the great help, just establishing i get it right

many thks once again Thumbs Up

Post #192567113th Mar 2018 1:44 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Had to google what Censored California Stop meant. Very interesting, might be I need to pay €25, too Thumbs Up

[url]https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic137331.html[url]

Also, I would add that if there is no record of ATF being changed... it most likely hasn’t. The price a LR service center quotes for the change immediately puts off most people.

Last edited by kajtzu on 13th Mar 2018 2:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #192568013th Mar 2018 2:21 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

At 100,000K it's well worth considering the Mega-flush, I had mine done in the region of 110,000K. Thought I was noticing an ever so slight slip, but the flush has definitely returned the box to like new and it's noticeably quieter. OK it's about £270 odd, but worth it, considering just a TC leave little change out of £900 or so.

I know how you feel, when you've pored megebucks into your D3 it gets harder to keep doing it, but if a coulpe of hundred prevent almost a thousand?

Post #192568213th Mar 2018 2:32 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Indeed, my view was the same - I had a ATF flush done with machine at ~192000 km or 119000 miles. Not that there were any issues at the time but there are no issues 10000 km later, either. Whistle

Post #192568313th Mar 2018 2:35 pm
geoff.

England 

Alphamale wrote:
At 100,000K it's well worth considering the Mega-flush, I had mine done in the region of 110,000K. Thought I was noticing an ever so slight slip, but the flush has definitely returned the box to like new and it's noticeably quieter. OK it's about £270 odd, but worth it, considering just a TC leave little change out of £900 or so.

I know how you feel, when you've pored megebucks into your D3 it gets harder to keep doing it, but if a coulpe of hundred prevent almost a thousand?

its the only way to get most of the fluid changed Thumbs Up

Post #192574713th Mar 2018 6:04 pm
gstuart

many thks guys for the fantastic advice and know u guys know what ur talking about Thumbs Up

won’t be able to do it at the moment as my money box is low Whistle

can at least get the ATF oil replaced and add the iid software update for now so at least i know fresh oil is in the box and tc

got to finish replacing my front struts, stopped as it got too cold

as there is a suspension drop over a 48 hour period i’m thinking if that’s what causing my intermittent battery drain, ie , when it wakes up because it’s dropping it’s using more battery power than a sound non leaking suspension system, indeed clutching at straws but got to get that done anyway before it causes issues with my new compressor

thks again Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #192580113th Mar 2018 8:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >