Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Autocar Cover Story 23-12-15
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Vanguard

United Kingdom 

I seldom post and am not a Discovery owner right now but my interpretation is that, regrettably, LR are only seeing new business opportunities in their eyes. They will pay lip-service to tradition and only if it serves the purpose of lineage in marketing terms. They will ignore the the middle England purchaser when there is a whole wide world out there which is a massive market, hugely affluent in parts and whose dulled pallet can be excited by very expensive luxurious products with a good British heritage.

They have invested HUGELY in the business and need to sell many, many more cars each year than they do right now over the next 10-20 years in order to reap the reward. Already the export market for the luxury end is, what, 70-80% of production so if someone like me says "that car is not going to work for me in Southampton or Birmingham or Glasgow and is too expensive and not in keeping with the tradition etc etc...." LR will barely register the concern and certainly not change course. When there are thousands of very wealthy punters in China, Brasil, Russia etc who can not only afford the car but the import tax as well without blinking an eye, what would you do if you were a manufacturer with a hungry shareholder who is currently watching his other investments tank? The rich factory owner in the Vladivostok LR showroom couldn't give a toss if the D5 has gone a bit posher - they'll just love it more.

Post #158355527th Dec 2015 6:17 pm
Pelyma

England 

All this talk is just like when the D3 was coming out. It was going to be too expensive, too much technology, too ugly, too luxurious etc etc I even had a Jeep owner come up to me and tell me how ugly it was Rolling with laughter Nobody was going to by such a car, the designers had even forgot to put the crease all the way along the car.

I don't want a shed for my next car, Defenders are what they are and Discos are what they are. The new one will sell in its millions and when the D6 is unveiled it will be too expensive, too much technology etc etc
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #158357127th Dec 2015 6:36 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I bought a D4 even though it was significantly more expensive, and to my eyes, nowhere near as good looking as my original D3. I bought it because it perfectly fitted my requirements in a working vehicle… square load capacity, drop down tailgate to work on, practical, safe and comfy. If the new one loses any of those essential items then I won’t buy it. Doesn’t matter how much technology they fit or how trendy Russians find it.

It really doesn’t matter to me how many they sell… I don’t need my buying decisions reinforced by popular demand, but then, LR don't depend on my custom anyway! Laughing

Post #158360427th Dec 2015 7:39 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Vanguard wrote:

They have invested HUGELY in the business and need to sell many, many more cars each year than they do right now over the next 10-20 years in order to reap the reward. .

I'd say they are almost there now ...simplistic calculation I know but Tata have invested £11bn or so since 2008 ...but JLR already returned pre tax profits to the region of £10bn in the same period.

The brand has to keep looking forward not backwards Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #158361127th Dec 2015 7:50 pm
Pelyma

England 

Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #158362627th Dec 2015 8:21 pm
J77

Scotland 

Hopefully LR have listened to the criticisms of the Disco Sport and doesn't replicate them in the D5 as I do like the look of the D5, especially if there is a blue colour like that available. If the entry level is no more expensive than £45k then I'm in.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #158363327th Dec 2015 8:45 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Would be interesting if there is a £39,999.99 offering to get under the "premium" bar for the forthcoming VED changes. Probably not as that won't fit with the brand image.

Post #158363627th Dec 2015 8:49 pm
J77

Scotland 

Good point.

It seems surreal that I could trade in a car that is heavier than the new car, which is supposed to be lighter and more economical, yet the old one costs less to tax.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #158364927th Dec 2015 8:56 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

However good or bad the D5 is going to be, whatever the price, the facts speak for themselves, so for me, it will not be the ideal replacement for the D3/4 that I will be looking for down the line.

Overall, I happen to think LR are going wrong for the long term. No-one has any better idea of that than I - we don't have crystal balls; we can all only infer and guess, and that is, from what I see, my current reasoning.

Pelyma wrote:
All this talk is just like when the D3 was coming out.

You really think so?

We are now a dozen years and 6 new LRs down the line. The D4 > D5 is to be a very differen't move from D2 > D3 - in many ways, the opposite. The D3 was heavier, the new one is to be lighter. Did anyone really look at a base spec D3 and think it's too luxurious? Price wise, it's gone up already but it can't go up perpetually so we're at a different point to last time. Was there ever a concern over the D3s practical side, a larger vehicle than before, square and boxy with a big boot? It wasn't something I was concerned about at the time. When the D3 came out, did we all think it was for the mass market? No, many thought it was an acquired taste.

It's just not the same situation. Neutral
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #158379628th Dec 2015 10:51 am
SN

The original Base 5 seater D3's were around £27K ISTR

You can't get a D4 for less than £40K now 10 years later - granted its a much better spec'ed car - though STILL no Sat Nav which is absolutely RIDICULOUS for a £40K car

....but interestingly that's only a compound increase rate of just over 4% - so it must be the financial crash impact and knock effect on inflation and pay that makes the current prices seem so high....
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #158380428th Dec 2015 11:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

If they are "going wrong for the long term" now then god help them ....they were going nowhere until Tata came along Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #158380828th Dec 2015 11:25 am
Lost for Words

That's the point tough. You can't say I'm wrong, and I can't say you're wrong.

Tata come along and LR produce a new generation vehicles. What does that mean? Nothing. It's just one way, that happened. Had LR not been bought by Tata, you can't know what would have happened. Just because one thing works, doesn't mean it was the right/best thing.

Going nowhere before Tata? Well I don't call designing the L322, D3, RRS and FL2 going nowhere. They are the vehicles that have got LR to where they are now.

The vehicle market is a complex game and manufacturers need to hold ground when they gain it. There isn't a single business running in the world that has become a great success at the hands of accountants alone.

Dogs chase their tails; it's the way of the world. Rolling Eyes
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #158381528th Dec 2015 11:59 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I don't have to prove who is right or wrong ....just looking at the evidence can be a great indicator of the likely outcome....BMW invested but in reality just wanted the technology and eventually baulked it because it was a money pit...Ford wanted the brand but didn't invest in any way strong enough to make a real difference in generating a return. Tata threw money at it ...and importantly allowed the management on the ground to run it and let the design team loose. I can remember the very week in 2008 when there wasn't enough money in the bank to pay the staff wages ....now it's record investment, sales, turnover and profits year on year.

I'm sorry but it does mean a lot ....and that certainly would not have happened under the previous owners

Last edited by DG on 28th Dec 2015 12:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #158381828th Dec 2015 12:12 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Bottom line is LR are in business to make money, you can afford their cars or you can't, you either like them or you don't.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #158382028th Dec 2015 12:17 pm
Lost for Words

I'm not asking anyone to prove who's right or wrong. Abduction can give such wildly varying results... Thumbs Up

Post #158382828th Dec 2015 12:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >