Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Automatic Transmission Command Shift/Sport
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
B16 KJR

Scotland 
Automatic Transmission Command Shift/Sport

Could anyone explain in simple terms the difference between the options available. I know you have fully automatic 6 speed adaptive transmission when the lever is in "D" but can you select between "normal" and "sport" ? Also when you use "commandshift" is that only a 6 speed clutchless manual gearbox or are there "sport" options. What does the M/S symbol mean ? I assume the "s" is for "sport"

Every one I have spoken to has their own ideas, even the Dealers contradict one another, one told me that when you select "sport" it changes the auto box into a 5 speed !! Help !!

Post #7757411th Aug 2006 12:36 pm
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I see you have a TDV6 - did you test drive a V8? It is in the V8 that the 'sport' mode does what it's meant to do. I will try and explain..

Your dealer is sort of right - As I understand it the mode chages up at higher revs and is more likely to hold it in gear rather than change up if you lift off the gas - a more sporty style of gear change. The 5 speed thingy is just to compensate for the fact that the 6th gear is for cruising and you shouldn't really need it if you're being sporty. If you were in sport and forget to change back to 'D' your consumption will not be good if you are now cruising at high speed.

I don't see the point of sport in a TDV6 really - all the useful power & torque is lost at high revs - I spend most of my time encouraging gear changes to remain within in the power/torque band. This gives a much smoother, quieter rapid acceleration and once you have developed the knack it seems to work much better than planting your foot onto the floor.

I get much better fuel economy if I run the gearchanges using command shift but usually I can't be bothered Rolling Eyes

In a V8 the sport mode is superb it is what made me want a V8 until i saw the fuel consumption.......... Wink
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Post #7761911th Aug 2006 1:54 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

AFAIK, 'Sport' mode is engaged when the lever is pushed to the left of the gate (when in D). The gearbox (which remains a 6 speed!!) then holds each gear for longer i.e the gearbox changes up later when accelerating and earlier when deccelerating.

'Command shift' allows the diver to to change gear 'manually' - put the lever in the 'Sport' position then push the lever forward to change to a higher gear or back for a lower gear. However, the gearbox remains essentially an automatic and will change down by itself if the revs fall too low ('low' seems to be under 1500) - it might even change up automatically if the revs get too high but I haven't put that to the test.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #7762411th Aug 2006 2:03 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

OK so lets see if I have this right !! In "D" you have the option of a normal gearbox or a "sport" gearbox, you select "sport" by moving the gearlever from "D" over to the left. If you want the normal gearbox leave the lever in "D".

If you want "commandshift" ie clutchless manual gearbox you move the lever from "D" over to the left and then forward ie "+" a gear. Have I picked this up correctly ?

Post #7763411th Aug 2006 2:16 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

You got it!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #7763811th Aug 2006 2:20 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I tried the commandshift for a while - since I have not driven a manual for 6 years & forgot to shift, the car did everything for me in any case .....I just let it now Embarassed
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #7817013th Aug 2006 10:50 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I might be missing the point here, but why leave it in command shift and allow it to change up or down automaticaly, why not leave it in "D" ?

Post #7826714th Aug 2006 12:18 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Leave it in M/S (manual / sport) and it will as said hold the gears longer and kick down far easier. Use the + / - to manually change up and down - Commandshift.

Move lever back to D for relaxed cruising and more relaxed and less sensitive gear changes and better MPG as your being easier on the revs / engine.

Move the lever out of M/S and back to D and then straight back to M/S to cancel manual Commandshift and go back to sport auto.

It does make a difference with the TDV6 especially in the RRS - driving an HSE around today and its bloody fun Smile

I think the RRS has different gear box mapping though as seems FAR quicker than the TDV6 D3 ! I believe the engine mapping is the same but could be wrong... also I drive a manual D3 and the auto box in the RRS / D3 is damn good.

-s

Post #7828114th Aug 2006 1:18 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Thanks Simon, I could not figure out how to select "sport" or "manual" and that was why I was confused. As I said at the start, even Dealer were contradicting themselves as to the function and selection of "sport" and "manual". Am I right in saying there is a visual indicator in the dashboard which tells you if you are in "sport" or "Manual/normal" mode. ?

Post #7828514th Aug 2006 1:36 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is right next to the ODO and Trip counters... you get a D / S Sport and also the gear selected if in manual shift mode.

-s

Post #7828714th Aug 2006 1:49 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

B16
when you shift the gear lever to the sport mode and leave it there (dont manually change up of down) the auto will not go above 5th gear (it assumes you want rapid respone all the time) ......... unless you engage cruise control and then it will drop into 6th

peter

Post #7848815th Aug 2006 12:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >