Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Aux Battery Box Cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Carabraxis

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Aux Battery Box Cover

I am looking at installing an auxilary battery into the aux battery box under the bonnet so that I can have permanent live power in the car for charging the kids toys (Gameboy etc.). I also have a small 12v coolbox that I would like to be able to run when the engine is not on.

I have a spare 80Ah leisure battery that I would like to use for this that fits in the space but is very slightly too tall to re-fit the plastic cover (it does fit happily under the bonnet though). Obviously money no object I would get an optima or similar but if I am going to do this it is a bit of a case of use what I have.

I cannot see any reason why I should not just leave this cover off as the things that I can see under it shouldn't need protecting but does anyone know if there is a need to fit the cover or not?

Post #3528251st Oct 2008 3:47 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Not sure about that one. gets pretty filty under there and there are some gizmowhatdoyamacallems there that may not like said dust. Rolling Eyes

Save up or ask Santa for the proper job, worth it Thumbs Up

Post #3528261st Oct 2008 3:50 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just make sure that the positive is well covered so it has NO chance of rubbing on the bonnet.

COuld be a nice big bang!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3528591st Oct 2008 5:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Carabraxis

good point re the +ve terminal.

I can put that to the back so the slope of the bonnet gives max clearance (and fit a terminal cover as well)

Post #3528891st Oct 2008 6:09 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Way back in the old days, batteries never had covers.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #3529641st Oct 2008 8:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's not a battery cover - it's an 'enviro box'

Post #3530051st Oct 2008 9:17 pm
Carabraxis

so what's an enviro box then?

Post #3530621st Oct 2008 10:10 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

looks a bit like a battery cover Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #3530741st Oct 2008 10:27 pm
Carabraxis

Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Walked straight into that one

As Shiny Moose says, batteries never had covers and neither did the break servo or the alarm sounder which is about all I can see in there. I am only concerned if there is somthing that I can't see.

I can only think that the only use for the cover is that it makes it look pretty under the bonnet so I don't think I'll worry about it and leave it off.

Post #3533382nd Oct 2008 12:15 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Go for it.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #3533422nd Oct 2008 12:18 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

yeah Go for it as Shiny said Whistle

TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY Very Happy

Post #3533682nd Oct 2008 1:01 pm
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Deliberating the same thing myself.

I've got a rather naff leisure battery that I fitted to get me out of a spot when I knew I would need the extra battery but I see no reason to get an optima.

One thing to try is changing the terminal post style to one that does not have a bolt vertically through it for connecting your charge lead or accessories. This is the first thing I did and discovered that with a slim-lined terminal post the cover very nearly fits - 2 out of 3 of the plastic clips. So nearly there it doesn't matter - bonet closes and there is no chance the cover will escape!

Then get a megafuse to ensure that you can't cause a welding current to pass through the battery.

You can get a fuse and holder for just a few quid. I went for 200amps and this should be suffice for the charge current as well as any accessories - including 50% of winch current.

Fit the fuse to the earth and you need not worry about any other connection to your battery.

Fit the fuse to the positive and you should then only wire into the battery through the fuse.

I have a winch, charge (alternator / vehicle battery) lead and an aux fuse box (fridge, gadgets, 2-way, etc) off the battery. The only way to protect is really via fusing the earth - not a text book solution but it will save your bacon. You can fuse off the positive but I think it is a messy solution as to do it well you need no set-up a seperate distribution point away from the battery.

Most important is the need for a dual battery management system of some kind - no point in having a leisure battery if it is permanently attached to the vehicle battery as both will drain.

Post #35947513th Oct 2008 11:50 pm
Carabraxis

Iona

Thanks for your comments - some good suggestions there.

I think I may put a big fuse in the earth line to protect everything and then use small ones in the live to protect the individual feeds I want to put in.

I believe in keeping things simple so for the split charge I'm thinking of using a simple 200 amp relay with a sence wire to the altenator to turn it on when the engine is running. Has anyone done it like this? Are there any issues I need to be aware of?

Post #36047915th Oct 2008 8:52 pm
Iona Disko

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I would strongly suggest keeping it as simple as possible.

The only problem I can see is that you will not be able to charge the vehicle battery seperately. If you have a spate of short journeys it would be beneficial to recharge only the vehicle battery until it is full then switch to charging both vehicle and aux bat. With a simple automated system you will be charging both the whole time the engine is running and possibly not reaching a full charge on either. The D3 has difficulty charging the main battery on journeys of less than a couple of miles.

What might be useful is an over-ride switch that you can use to isolate charging to just the vehicle battery. Maybe a simple toggle switch in the earth to stop the charging of the aux battery when driving for short stints.

Also an activate switch to keep your batteries linked - maybe a toggle switch with a seperate 12v to the actuating circuit of your relay. This would enable you to jump start off the aux battery should, for any reason, the vehicle battery go flat(leaving your lights on, radio or similar). Is also useful for winching if you have one fitted.

My system is a Genesyz as supplied by Devon 4x4 it does the job but have had a couple of irregularities which has got me pondering. Might be nothing but it is a confidence thing. I modified it to work with a charging loop for a battery in a trailer - I put in an isolator switch to give me manual control to

Post #36050115th Oct 2008 9:17 pm
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

If you look inside the spare battery box , you will see that the bottom corners are slightly elevated / build up , I'm not sure why it's made like that , but I chisled out those and my cover fits perfectly. Very Happy

Post #36172018th Oct 2008 1:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >