DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Aux connector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Daedalus

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Pre-amp to aux input

hi jdflute

I'm about to install a pre-amp, following your earlier post, behind the stereo in my D3 HSE. I think I'm clear on your instructions other than the pair of identical 3.5mm-to-RCA cables. Why are there 2, and what do you do with them? Apologies if I've missed something obvious! Thanks

Post #134527021st Sep 2014 5:25 pm
Flapjack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

I want to do the same thing in fitting a pre amp and snipping the connectors on the board to avoid having to put a jack in the rear aux socket still unclear on the phono thing can anyone provide more help and detail as requested above ? also does this need to be wired into rear of stereo or can it tap in to aux circuit elsewhere?
 blessed are the losers ,for they determine the winners  
Post #134537321st Sep 2014 8:01 pm
azraiel

Malta 
Heating or Sound??

Dear all,

I went through the entire thread and thanks for all the useful advice, however I am still not able to find wiring schematics for the rear/centre console wiring system. In our console we have two sets of green connectors and one 12v connector. The wires going into the green connectors are:

RED
BLUE
GREEN
BLUE + WHITE
BLACK

The back panel is blank, we do not have the aux socket or the audio video inputs. I would like to buy a transformer from 12v to 5v to have a usb interface but I'm stuck as to which wires connect to the speakers.

I have seen a similar image in a previous post and someone told the poster that the connectors are actually for the heated seats and not the audio video panel.

So I guess my first question would be, are these connectors connected to the stereo system or for heating?

The connectors are right there so if we can use these instead of opening the front panel and use those wires as suggested in the first post we would prefer it.

Images below, thanks for your help as always.

The last image which shows the usb input I found online in russian. It is where we would like to get to eventually.

Post #146053519th Apr 2015 7:12 am
carreragt7

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I've read through this and a few other threads on ipod/iPhone connectivity. Most seem to be referring to the old 30 pin connector style and not the lightning connection. I have an iPhone 6S and a 5S and they both suffer from low volume and distortion when plugged into the Disco 3's Aux port.

I'm not trying to relocate the port or add a new port, just fix this low volume and sound quality. An added issue is I'm a bit colorblind so when it comes to wire colors I always have to refer to a friend to help me out.

Anyone have a simple fix for this low volume and sound quality issue?

Post #15377091st Oct 2015 4:24 am
Flapjack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

the only fix is pre amp install,i too have I phone 6 and I actually find it louder than other phones as it seems to have a decent amp in it Thumbs Up
 blessed are the losers ,for they determine the winners  
Post #15389923rd Oct 2015 5:23 pm
lgs

France 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

i'm looking for the aux connector on my 09 s model...

but it is not there Big Cry Should i remove the panel to find it or it does not exist on my d3 ?
 D3 2009 TDV6 S Manu
BAS remap
Snorkel Safari
Slimline II
RLD sump plate

Post #15731056th Dec 2015 2:20 pm
Sammy

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

K3ITH wrote:
I have a newish 09 GS and can confirm that there is no AUX port wiring at the back of the radio. There is a 12 pin connector block but only 1 black lead is attached to pin 12 (Audio Ground).

However, I have managed to connect my Garmin Nuvi SatNav to the AUX Port and it works perfectly.

I used 3 x JST Male connectors – These connectors are commonly used in the Radio Controlled world for battery connection. The connectors have 2 sockets that fit the AUX pins perfectly – Search on Ebay for JST Male they’re about £1 each (COLOUR RED). I also used a stereo cable with a 3.5mm plug.

You need to remove the original 12 Pin connector block and cut the Black lead, this lead will be connected with a JST Plug.

JST Plug 1.
Remove the RED lead and join the BLACK lead to the Black lead cut from the 12 Pin connector block above. This plug will push onto pins 11 (no connection) and 12 (Audio Ground)

Cut the Stereo lead to an appropriate length and strip the wire - there will be 2 small leads for the left and right channels and the shielding wire for the AUX Screen

JST Plug 2.
Join the RED lead to one of the small Stereo leads and the BLACK lead to the other small Stereo lead. This plug will push onto pins 7 (Right AUX input) and 8 (Left AUX input)

JST Plug 3.
Remove the RED lead and join the BLACK lead to the Stereo lead shielding wire. This plug will push onto pins 6 (Aux Screen) and 5 (no connection)

Look carefully in the socket on the back of the head unit, pins 1,6,7 and 12 are identified.

Great instructions.........works brilliantly. Cheers K3ITH

Post #159805223rd Jan 2016 1:42 pm
idrabble

Australia 

I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jabra-Hands-Free-B...a+Streamer

Could probably be hard wired in somewhere under centre console. I have no volume issues at all with it, unlike when I used a direct connection using headphone socket on my Oneplus One, so I think there must be a former of line amplification inside it.

Hope this helps others, Ian.

Post #159833623rd Jan 2016 8:44 pm
Sammy

Looks a nice neat piece of equipment.

Are you satisfied with its performance?

Also if all connected and phone paired via bluetooth and you are listening to in-car radio (as opposed to music from phone) how do you know if you have an in-coming phone call??

In that scenario presumably you need to select Aux on your radio to hear and answer the phone call??

Post #159869124th Jan 2016 3:33 pm
idrabble

Australia 

Works great. I have no connection drop-outs.

I have only used it to listen to tunes on my phone so far, Brisbane radio is particularly annoying, but I think you are probably correct that you would have to switch to aux input to take a call.

I'll have a trial when I get time and give feedback here.

Ian.

Post #159894824th Jan 2016 9:10 pm
Sammy

Cheers Ian........ I look forward to your next update. They are a good price in UK at the moment.

Post #159896424th Jan 2016 9:29 pm
Willbrad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
12v power socket in rear audio interface

whilst we are on the subject of the rear audio interface module, does anyone know how to remove the 12v power socket from the interface, once it has been released from the arm rest? My aux jack doesn't work properly so I bought a new interface but it doesn't come with the 12v power socket so I need to remove it and swap it over.... thanks in advance!

Post #168278120th Jul 2016 4:48 pm
Langley

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Aux Connector

Thanks for all the information everyone - trying to get the aux added to my 2005 D3.
Wigs you say red is RIGHT in one post
But red shows LEFT in a wiring diagram you posted.
For the 3 pin Jack cable I have Red (middle of pin = RIGHT) and White (tip of pin = LEFT), plus black neg/shield at the base of the pin.

Does it really if I get my left and right speakers mixed?
 Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to carry on that counts - Churchill.  
Post #181976728th May 2017 1:54 am
Flangewafflesprocket

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

[quote="CG"]I used the method of connecting via the kick panel in the foot well, this has produced a connection but at reduced volume.

If an unconnected stereo jack is plug into the aux socket at the back of the arm rest, the volume returns, so Wiggs is correct Bow down about needing to connect these two together. What the result of permanently connecting the two black wires would be I don't know.[/quo

TBH. If you’ve moved the aux input to the front, but experience low volume levels, just unplug the green connector in the back of the old aux connector. The left and right channels are grounded to earth until a plug is inserted, pushing the connectors apart inside the aux plug. Pulling the plug has the same effect as inserting a plug.

Post #222654424th Apr 2021 2:31 pm
niquelarondel

Switzerland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

For some reason my cables are in a different way on my plug :

behind the center console unit

and rear seats :

I also have some orange optic fiber cables running on the back of the center console. Can anyone confirm that if I use Keith method on the wire green/red(bottom)/black(bottom)/yellow, i'll have the same result ?

I just won't be able to use the JST male plug, or i'll need more for the upper black and red cables. What is the possibility we can undo the original plug and resold everything properly ?

Thank you for your help !

Post #222999913th May 2021 7:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >