Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

AUX Socket in base 7
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MalBow

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
AUX Socket in base 7

I realise this topic has been covered alot on these forums, but I haven't seen it done this way and wondered if anyone knew weather or not it's possible?

The higher model cars all have a 12V socket and Aux input jacks on the rear of the centre console/cubby box, when i removed the blank from here where the sockets would be I found 3 plugs behind there wrapped in foam, 1 of which is a 12V power supply and i presume the others are what would be the aux inputs on a higher model. Does anyone know if these are connected to the aux input on the radio head unit? and if so which colour wire is common, left, right etc?

Post #4203312th Feb 2006 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CFB

United Kingdom 
Aux Wiring

The wire you need is black in colour and contains 3 cores, a thin blue, thin red and thick black. If it is there I would be surprised as I found this wire in the n/s kickpanel and it terminated there.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #4203412th Feb 2006 10:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MalBow

the sockets im talking about have single cores going into them already, about 3 or 4 wires in each plug, they must be connected to rear of radio aux input as how would it work as an aux input on the higher models?

Post #4203612th Feb 2006 11:02 am
DrLex

Iceland 

MalBow,
If the wires you found end in a plastic socket, arranged as 4x1, then that would be the connector for the aux socket. However, as CoteFarmBoy points out, the wires you require are terminated behind the front panel. It looks as though the loom is standard, but the 'business' end is not connected. Depending on how inquisitive you are, you might find the other end of the loom and make the connection that LR didn't. I suspect it would be easier to work from the kick panel spot, though.
If you do work from the inactive loom point, you might find it useful to know that a 4x2 computer connector can be made to fit with the LR plug - I used such in fashioning an ipod connector.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #4203812th Feb 2006 11:22 am
OMG

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Aux socket

I think the two extra plugs in the rear of the armrest are for rear seat heater switches on the higher spec models not the aux audio socket. there is a two conection plug for a power socket.

OMG

Post #4222013th Feb 2006 2:35 pm
Penguin

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I've been playing with the same idea.
I have the SE version, and there is no aux connection, but the radio has an aux button...

SO, will the wires be there? if so, where? Wink
 In a time of chimpanzees, I was a penguin.

www.m-release.com 

Post #4223113th Feb 2006 3:34 pm
MalBow

The plugs in the rear of the cubby box are for heated seats, there is however a 12V power supply, which means you can easily put a 12V socket power point for the 2nd row seats if you wish. The best place to get onto the AUX wires is behind the kick plate in the passenger footwell (plastic cover under glovebox) this comes off easy and behind there is a plug which has a black multicore cable going to one side of it and nothing connected on the other side, this is the AUX cable, the cores are red, blue and black (left, right and common) you can cut the from the plug as they are not connected to anything else and solder onto them, this gives you an AUX input onto the radio. I just installed a Harmon Kardan Drive + Play for my ipod over the weekend and it all went in easy!!

Post #4257615th Feb 2006 11:43 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Surely must be worth some pictures in the library. Where did you put the HK 'brain', the display and the controller?
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #4257716th Feb 2006 12:17 am
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Connected or not ??

MalBow wrote:
The plugs in the rear of the cubby box are for heated seats, there is however a 12V power supply, which means you can easily put a 12V socket power point for the 2nd row seats if you wish. The best place to get onto the AUX wires is behind the kick plate in the passenger footwell (plastic cover under glovebox) this comes off easy and behind there is a plug which has a black multicore cable going to one side of it and nothing connected on the other side, this is the AUX cable, the cores are red, blue and black (left, right and common) you can cut the from the plug as they are not connected to anything else and solder onto them, this gives you an AUX input onto the radio. I just installed a Harmon Kardan Drive + Play for my ipod over the weekend and it all went in easy!!

Are those cables in the passenger footwell really active i.e. also connected in the front ? There is an other discussion that claims that those would be disconnected in the front. But if yours work fine, those were connected in your car then, right ? I'm confused.

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #4258816th Feb 2006 8:52 am
zorglub44

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi, I have a french DISCOVERY III (left hand) Model SE. This model has the base radio (only one CD, no HIFI) . I think this radio is like a 7 seat model.

I tried to find the 3 core cable (on the left AND on the right) . I didn't find it. On a left hand car , all radio cables go on the right under the dashboard.

Does someone knows which pin (on the radio socket) can i use to connect a new cable directly?

Thank you

Post #516842nd Apr 2006 7:33 pm
alinton

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

You can easily see the aux input cable on the back of the radio - red, blue and screen connections all coming from a black cable.

But I assume that even on yours they would terminate in the passenger footwell behind the kickplate, as that's where a dealer would connect the audio from a DVD player.

Andy.

Post #516922nd Apr 2006 8:11 pm
zorglub44

alinton wrote:
You can easily see the aux input cable on the back of the radio - red, blue and screen connections all coming from a black cable.

But I assume that even on yours they would terminate in the passenger footwell behind the kickplate, as that's where a dealer would connect the audio from a DVD player.

Andy.

Hi, i found the cable . It's connected on the second socket (the smaller one) on the radio. It has 4 cores
- a red
- a blue
- a black
- a white
I cutted the red, the white and the blue.

Red: right
blue : left
White or black (are same): ground

I try to invert red and blue, i didn't find any change on sound quality.
It works fine now. Later, i will make a professional connection: i will solder a cable on the radio socket and and i will put RCA sockets on the dashboard.
8)
An then, i buyed a CD MP3 walkman (29 Eur.) and now, i can play MP3 music for a very little price.
 DISCOVERY III TDV6 SE SEVEN BVA (in french!)  
Post #526178th Apr 2006 5:45 pm
ArcFro

Finland 

Are we talking here aux input for radio model CD-400? I would be very grateful of this information since Finnish country organisation apparently will not give any help in this iPOD issue. Sad

Post #5401419th Apr 2006 5:13 pm
zorglub44

ArcFro wrote:
Are we talking here aux input for radio model CD-400? I would be very grateful of this information since Finnish country organisation apparently will not give any help in this iPOD issue. Sad

Yes the CD 400. This is the basic radio CD which can read only one CD and no MP3.
It has no remote commands and the AUX input is not connected
 DISCOVERY III TDV6 SE SEVEN BVA (in french!)  
Post #5404019th Apr 2006 9:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >