Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Auxiliary fuel tank fitting/implementation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nickprice

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Auxiliary fuel tank fitting/implementation

Hey guys, I'posted over in the main 'maintenance and mods' forum but it was suggested I try asking here as I'm more likley to find someone who has done this mod. I've got a Front Runner 80l tank sat in my hallway waiting to be fitted.

I have two questions at this stage:

1) has anyone fitted a fuel guage to their aux tank, if so, what fuel guage/sender unit did you use, where did you mount it (I was thinking in the boot), anything to be aware of and do you have any pictures?

2) I thought it might be useful to look into some sort of switch that allows you to pump fuel directly from the aux tank to the engine, thereby if the fuel pump in the main tank goes you can switch to the aux tank and get the car to a more appropriate location. Has anyone done this, is it feasible, will the FR supplied pump be adequate?

Cheers in advance.
 D3 SE with Hankook MT 275/65/R18, IID BT Tool, ProSpeed rock/tree sliders + compressor guard, RLD sump guard & winch tray + 13,000lb hidden winch, Gearbox guard, Frontrunner 80l aux tank with fuel gauge, V8 brake upgrade, Traxide USI-160 dual battery system, Frontrunner ladder, custom boot storage, Lazer LED driving lights, de-cat exhaust, Aftermarket Oro TPMS, i7 Mac Mini touch screen install (running Windows 10) mirrored on rear screens.  
Post #114325913th Aug 2013 1:22 pm
SADISCOBOB

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have similar situation in that I have an FR tank in my garage waiting to be fitted. Can't help you with your queries but just a caution............if you have same pump as supplied with mine, don't rely on it for anything, including original transfer. When fitting, change it for a reputable unit and throw the Chinese rubbish away. best of luck Thumbs Up
 Life always good with a Landy

2006 LR DISCO 3 4.4 V8 HSE
DISCO 1 2.8 TDi
DISCO11 TD5
RR CLASSIC 1980 3.5 V8 

Post #114507718th Aug 2013 10:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
motolite

Australia 

nickprice, not many replies? have you tried posting it on the aussie forum? www.aulro.com

just a thought Thumbs Up

Post #114508318th Aug 2013 10:37 am
nickprice

Cheers for the replies and sorry for the slow response - I've been on holiday!

I'm going down to speak to a garage tomorrow about options. I'll see what they say... will let you guys know for interest what the final plan is!

Currently working on moving my spare tyre somewhere else.

Edit: will replace the pump as recommended. Cheers.
 D3 SE with Hankook MT 275/65/R18, IID BT Tool, ProSpeed rock/tree sliders + compressor guard, RLD sump guard & winch tray + 13,000lb hidden winch, Gearbox guard, Frontrunner 80l aux tank with fuel gauge, V8 brake upgrade, Traxide USI-160 dual battery system, Frontrunner ladder, custom boot storage, Lazer LED driving lights, de-cat exhaust, Aftermarket Oro TPMS, i7 Mac Mini touch screen install (running Windows 10) mirrored on rear screens.  
Post #114916428th Aug 2013 2:14 pm
nickprice

Just for anyone that is interested, I spoke to the garage and the plan is to install a duplicate fuel system - specifically pump and sender unit. Then with the flick of a switch the fuel will be pumped from the appropriate tank and the fuel gauge on the dash will register the contents of the selected tank (so no additional untidy gauge needed). The idea is to install an identical pump and compatiable sender unit for the fuel gauge. This will also take the fuel cut-off signal in the event of an accident etc etc. I probably wont be getting this fitted until I'm back in the UK for more than a weekend so November or April next year are the two most likley dates. I'll post some pictures/info when I get it done.

In the meantime I spent last week moving the rear tyre into the boot (I'm not a fan of the practicality of a wheel carrier for day to day use). We removed the third row seat to expose some mounting points and increase rthe boot depth a few cm. We also installed a "cage" to hold a drawer and cubby system. It's still work in progress but I can post some pictures if anyone is interested? It remains to be seen whether I can live with the reduced boot space but everything is reversible and it's more of a working trial at the minute. So far I'm happy with it...
Post #11517883rd Sep 2013 8:44 am
Neil Pettersen

nickprice wrote:

In the meantime I spent last week moving the rear tyre into the boot It remains to be seen whether I can live with the reduced boot space but everything is reversible and it's more of a working trial at the minute. So far I'm happy with it...
Just use 4 Jerry cans , as I do when required , and to hell with all that futile messing around .  
Post #11524034th Sep 2013 10:37 am
nickprice

I have an Autohome roof tent on the roof and don't really want to be storing fuel in the car. Different strokes for different folks. It's also kinda fun messing around! Very Happy
Post #11524124th Sep 2013 11:07 am
Smudger

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I drove a land cruiser whic had a long range tank fitted. The fuel gauge would read full then drop below empty, then a 90L warning light illuminatednd the needle would go bck to the full position.

Could you incorporate the above wiring into your loom with a dash mounted led for the secondary tank warning light
 Never argue with an idiot! They will bring you down to their level, Then win with experience!!  
Post #11524434th Sep 2013 12:21 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hello Nick

I fitted a gauge last weekend

Click image to enlarge

The gauge has an integral switch for the pump. In my FrontRunner tank installation, it pumps across to the main tank. I also had to replace the originally supplied fong kong pump with a proper Facet, and now it works great.

As far as I know it would be possible to fit another lift pump in your auxillary tank to integrate into the vehicle system, which I believe also includes the sender unit for the gauge. This sounds like an awesome plan, but you would need to have an arrangement to switch the gauge reading as well as the pump, and probably a valve to cut over from the auxillary to the standard tank too.

Post #11524884th Sep 2013 1:30 pm
nickprice

Smudger - Seems easier than a swtich, I'll speak to the garage and see what they say. Cheers.

Baben - nice, that was my original thought: adding a nice discrete gauge like that. The garage that's going to do the fitting said they know a guy who can take care of the electronics side of things so hopefully no issues there. They seemed confident enough anyway! Smile Nice to see someone else on the fourm has taken the plunge. Any issues you encountered that might be useful to know?
Post #11525194th Sep 2013 2:45 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

nickprice wrote:
I can post some pictures if anyone is interested?

Always interested in pictures of mods.
Will probably never get to doing that stuff myself but nevertheless... always interested!

Regards,
Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #11526704th Sep 2013 8:19 pm
nickprice

I think this is going to be like Marmite (or Vegemite since this is in the Aus part of the forum) to people. We added a 33mm galvanised tube cage to the rear. Removed the 3rd row seats and fitted Ray's wheel clamp via the seat bolt holes. I lifted up the sliding floor I'd already made. Unfortunately I ran out of time while I was back to completely finish it (will have to wait until I'm back next year). It can be lowered by another few cms if we trim the top of the wheel clamp and the gap at the top is going to have a cubby system (20cm deep) that is bolted to the frame but can be easily removed for day to day use (so I don't lose rear visibility). This section also currently provides a great place to put my surfboards! Smile The middle section can hold my big old camping fridge and 4 wolf boxes together with space for compressor and BBQ. The top cubby section (when complete) will hold clothes, awning, and camping chairs. There is space behind the cage for some small/medium rucksacks to be stored, plus space around the wheel for odds and ends.

The drawer slides out to give access to the spare wheel. It has to be removed via the rear doors with the seats pulled back. We've demoed this and it works fine.

Like I said I'm sure this is not everyone's cup of tea but to me this is much preferred to carrying the wheel on a carrier on the back, and I don't have the option to put one on the roof. Happy to receive constructive criticism! Wink

Click image to enlarge
Post #11534856th Sep 2013 8:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >