Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Auxilliary Fuel Tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Thanks for the info Jamo

My prime concern is that I do a lot of caravanning and with the tow ball weight at about 280Kg plus the fuel tank and Kaymar fitting, will I be exceeding the weight limits??

Would love to have the Kaymar and extra fuel tank, so any input would be appreciated.

Bob

Post #8006222nd Aug 2006 10:29 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Jamo - in the down under side view foreground there is a bracket of some sort that appears to go around the right rear muffler.

Jamo's posted photo

What is this and what is it's purpose please?
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #8007322nd Aug 2006 10:54 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Bob, The D3 has a load capacity of around 800kg in the back. the bar with tyres takes about 100kg and the tank when full about 150kg, add your ball weight of 280kg and you've got 270kg left for passengers.

If you carry most of your gear in the van, then you should make it in.

Leigh, there is a bracket like this on each side. They go between the chassis rail and the side bit of the bar and assist with rigidity.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8008123rd Aug 2006 12:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My 'S' spec doesn't have those - I've been shortchanged!!

Or are they part of the extras you've got?

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #8008723rd Aug 2006 12:44 am
Jamo

Australia 

Sorry Leigh, Don't worry, they're part of the Kaymar bar setup and assits with holding the weight of the wheels in place.

They're not on a stock D3. (and weren't they a pleasure to fit! Shocked Evil or Very Mad Not!)
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8008823rd Aug 2006 12:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RetiredBob

Thanks Jamo

I now have to have a long talk with the Treasurer and fit in a visit to Melbourne to have both jobs done at the factories

Post #8009223rd Aug 2006 1:20 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo,

So you're set now for the outback. All you need to do is follow in RichardK's tracks and do the Canning.

BTW I see the stupid fibreglass heat shields are gone as well.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #8010223rd Aug 2006 7:31 am
Jamo

Australia 

The heat shields were already well scarred!

I plan to do the Canning probably in 2008. Earlier if I can, but owning a small business makes it difficult.

In the mean time I hope to do smaller loops, such as up the Connie Sue Hwy to Warburton and back down the Great Central Road.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8010623rd Aug 2006 8:07 am
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Tank Fitted

I picked up my D3 last night expecting it to have tank and Kaymar bar fitted. After two days they had only fitted the tank. It was their first tank and they were not impressed with the instructions (lack of clarity).

First impressions:
1. 110 litres is optimistic - I reckon it is closer to 100. Since the fitter ran out of time I did the first fill. I did not use a fast fill pump and at 104ish litres the diesel was visible inside the filler neck.

2. There a great big hole in the floor where the spare tyre winch used to be. If I remove the factory rubber cap I can see through the floor to the tank...
Jamo, was this filled or covered on your installation? Both the fitter and I will email Long Range Automotive about this...

Since the Kaymar bar was not fitted, the spare tyre is in the boot for now. Booked in for next Thursday for the bar now.
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #820861st Sep 2006 10:28 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Haggis,

Yes, I've only got the rubber winch cap bewteen a clean interior and a dusty one! Confused

The best I've filled mine to is 100 litres. I ahve emailed Long Raneg Automotive over this, but have not yet received a reply.
Evil or Very Mad
I got no instuctions and basically had to work it out myself. Confused

The firm who fitted the tank, Off Road Equipment in Myaree in Perth left the interior of the car in an apalling state, including greasy fingerprints on the door trim. They aparently didn't even test the set-up as there appeared to be no fuel at all in the aux tank when I picked the car up (and they didn't charge me for any fuel). Sufficed to say, i will NEVER use that firm again, nor will i recommend them to anyone. Mad

But, apart from all that, it works a treat! Very Happy Very Happy I've used it several times and haven't had any problems.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #823844th Sep 2006 4:20 am
Haggis

Jamo,
For the second auxilary fill I decided to stop at 'first click', and I assumed it was now full (it wasn't empty to begin with so using the pump guage to calculate wasn't possible). I used the fuel in the main tank and started the tranfer. Disappointingly the 'first click' leaves you with less than a main tank worth of fuel (<80 litres) in the auxilary. I guess the message is patience is required when filling to get the required capacity (and definitely keep away from fast fill pumps).

Thanks for the info on the 'winch hole'. Looks like I am going to have to come up with something better to seal it... I haven't emailed photos etc to Long Range Automotive yet (been away again).

ARB St Peters generally did a good job even if they did underestimate the effort required (and it was their first one). However, I had to re-align some of the plumbing in order to make the inner plastic guard fit without a crease, and they seem to have damaged the clips that hold the fuel filler plastic box to the vehicle body as now the fuel filler flap sits proud at the top (We'll have that discussion on Thursday...)

One last thing. The finish on the dual filler leaves a bit to be desired. I was pulling bits of 'swarf' (drillings, etc) out of it yesterday. Now there are almost certainly some in the tank/s. At least they are too big to get past filters.
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #826605th Sep 2006 5:02 am
Jamo

Australia 

Did they replace your fuel cap with a new one?? They did with mine and it's too small for the captive strap, so i'll have to put a screw in the top of the cap to attach the strap to.

I use fast fill pumps, but have to trickle that last 10-20 litres.

I get the impression from the lack of reply to my email, that 110 litres is a total capacity and that actual capacity is closer to 100. Still, it's better than carrying a bunch of jerries on the roof!

Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #826625th Sep 2006 5:43 am
Haggis

Yeah they did replace the cap, but I have the old one also. Aparently it is a different size (or may be thread type) - I'll get around to checking soon.

I got a response from LRA on the capacity, here it is:
I filled the pilot vehicle and the unit holds over 110lt. You may ask the fitter to check for any low points in the air purge line and remember diesel foams and needs to settle down.

They are also looking into the winch hole issue.
Post #831156th Sep 2006 1:11 pm
RetiredBob

G'day Jamo and Haggis

I am booked into Kaymar and LRA in early November to have the wheel carriers and aux tank fitted. How are your setups going??

Have just completed a trip to the Flinders Ranges, Maree and places east and west. I am looking forward to having the extra fuel available and being able to change tyres without having to take all the gear out of the back, raise the rear seats and lower the spare. What a horses rs.... Had one slow puncture from a "screw" and one quick deflate from rock damage and yes tyre was at a low pressure for dirt roads

Next thing to improve is the tyres - was not at all impressed with the goodies this trip. Am looking at replacing with Coopers. Any comments??

Regards

Post #9318211th Oct 2006 9:15 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Hello Bob,

The Kaymar bar and the tank work great. I'm yet to get more than 100litres in the tank, but I've decided that a safe working range is 170litres, giving me 20litres buffer.\\I've found the Cooper STT's to be excellent thus far!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #9389314th Oct 2006 6:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >