Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Auxilliary Fuel Tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Bob,
The bar and tank have performed as expected. I have just returned from a trip to various national parks in the NT and found the fuel capacity and abililty to carry and access two spares very useful. In fact the vehicle performed very well as did all the accessories - except the tyres.

Unlike Jamo, I decided to stick with the 18" wheels in the hope that someone would come up with an All Terrain to suit some time in the future.

On this trip I had some casualties on the OE Wranglers. Two sidewalls beyond repair, one in the Gregory National Park and one on the Birdsville track ('shortcut' to get home). To be fair the vehicle I was travelling with through the Gregory National Park also destroyed a sidewall in almost exactly the same place - and he was on BF Goodrich All Terrains. I also damaged a third sidewall (deep cut) and punctured it's tread, the tread is easily fixed with a plug but the sidewall damage means that tyre will also need to be retired. And, yes, pressures were adjusted...

Sadly it seems the availability of suitable tyres hasn't changed in the last month.....
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #9734828th Oct 2006 10:34 pm
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Haggis,

I like you were disappointed with the factory fitted tyres,

15,000kms, and the wear on them was dreadful.

I had two puntures just on road use, one threw the side wall.

I just had General Grabber AT2 255/55 R18 fitted, with sensa tyre sensors, they look great, and no noticable road noise on the road up to 120kms compared to the factory option.

I can wait to try them off road to see the difference.

terry

Post #9739329th Oct 2006 10:02 am
catweasel

got any pics of both items

Post #9739529th Oct 2006 10:08 am
ian mac

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

trm. who fitted your general grabbers?.are they same size as wranglers fitted by landrover? regards ian

Post #9740329th Oct 2006 10:21 am
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Catweasel, and Ian,

There another link here with the profile of the Grabber, sorry, no pics

The profile is 55 compared to the factory 60. Apparently the Grabber 60 not due to this time next year.

The installer was Dogtyred at Kallangar, on Anzac ave.

Cost was $310 each, and $45 for a wheel alingment.

There is only two installers suppliers in Brisbane, the other was quoting me $340 each.

Post #9747129th Oct 2006 7:28 pm
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Trm,
I looked at the General Grabber but decided to wait for the 'proper' size. I also noted that the load index on the current size was lower on the General Grabber than the OE Goodyear Wrangler (109 v. 112), hopefully the 'proper' size has an improved load rate. In NSW that is a no-no. The RTA is very clear that they will not accept a load rate lower than the placard (which therefore becomes a good excuse for insurance companies to avoid their obligations).
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #979451st Nov 2006 5:50 am
Jamo

Australia 

I'm thinking of changing my road tyres to Cooper HT's or Pirelli's or something similar. Maybe even Continentals like on the RR.

These latest wranglers have only got me 20000km so far and they're almost stuffed. At $450 each, that's not enough mileage.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #980951st Nov 2006 4:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This is an excerpt from one of my mates who just fitted Cooper HT's to his 18" D3 wheels.

"Had 4 new Cooper HT Plus 265/60R18 fitted on Tuesday.
Cost AU$365 each, plus AU$77 for a 4 wheel alignment; as the wear on the inside edge of the rear tyres was so bad (through to the fabric on one). After only 30 000 kms.

The ride is considerably improved and the new tyres are even quieter than the Wranglers!
I would have prefered ATR's, but they are not available in 18"

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #982362nd Nov 2006 2:26 am
Jamo

Australia 

Thanks Chris!

Funnily enough (or is it? Shocked ) I've had bad wear on the inside edge of the left rear tyre!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #982462nd Nov 2006 6:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Have just returned from Melbourne after having the Kaymar spare wheel carriers and Long Range Auxilliary Tank fitted at the factories. The tank performed very well on the way home. It was a pleasure not to have to refuel and with all the extra load and towing my van there was no noticeable difference in towing speed or performance. Thumbs Up

I now feel much more confident in tackling the long desert trips next year with the extra tyre and plenty of on-board fuel. Very Happy

As mentioned in the Ausie thread, on return I replaced all the Good Year tyres with Cooper 265/60r18. Cost $365 each plus $49 for wheel alignment. If I had gone for a Rego Check I reckon that at least two of the tyres would have been under a cloud.

I forgot to check on the full capacity of the aux tank as I topped up the normal tank at the same time and neglected to read the pump. Embarassed

Will purge the aux in the next couple of days and refill for an accurate check

Chawton White

Post #10375422nd Nov 2006 1:17 am
catweasel

did the tyre fitters do the wheel alignment ?

Post #10375922nd Nov 2006 6:43 am
RetiredBob

The tyres were fitted by Discount Tyre Service and the wheel alignment by a mob further down the street but organised by Discount - forgot their name

Post #10376622nd Nov 2006 8:20 am
RetiredBob

Filled the tank this AM. I stopped at 105 litres. I reckon I could have put in more as it was settlinb but was in a bit of a hurry.

Post #10400022nd Nov 2006 9:49 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
extra fuel

20 Litre no brainer ....

Click image to enlarge
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #10400322nd Nov 2006 10:24 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Recently read that the TDV8 RRS will have a 104 litre fuel tank.

Now if it will just fit into the space where my 83 (or thereabouts) litre tank is presently, Mr Dealer might just have a sale (as long as it's not too much more than the $1000 mark).

Can anyone from either side of the big pond confirm if they are interchangeable as I would prefer not to lose my spare riding under the back?

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #10410023rd Nov 2006 11:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >