Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Ayers Rock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Dave, it is from North Queensland. I had it in 1988 before leaving Townsville (which Ross River flows through) and I have never had anything like it again, thank goodness (except for gastric hernia and recent bout of shingles).

Catweasel, just make sure you and your family wear an insect repellant to ward off the mosquitoes and the Ross River Fever.

As the good doctor said, the chance of contracting it can occur (in Australia) anywhere there are mozzies. (See http://www.psa.org.au/ecms.cfm?id=152 for RRF info.)

Last trip to Uluru was in a Toyota Hilux SR5 diesel dual cab with 3/4 tonne of refrigeration and camping gear aboard and it was thoroughly enjoyable, but next trip will definately be in the D3.

Of particular interest was our trip out to take the photos of the rock as the sun went down. We expected to see the changing colours that mates photos had shown. We were disappointed - for good reason though. There had been 2 days of rain before we got to Uluru and the air was so clean that the rock just got darker in colour rather than the fantastic range of hues that it is famous for because of the red dust in the air.

Another fascinating insight (other than the kids running past us as we dragged ourselves along the chain as we climbed up the first steep bit) was that the little rock pools on the top were alive with small crustacea. It might not rain on the rock for years but when it does, these little fellas come alive and the birds have a feast!

Anyway, have a great trip, you lucky Censored !!
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #7720810th Aug 2006 4:36 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

We're on our way to the Flinders on Saturday for a week, with the Jayco camper on tow. We'll be nicely tucked into the bush near 31d 16' 09.20S, 138d 32' 29.80E. Looks great on Google Earth, and it's not too far from the Parachilna pub Laughing
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #7724010th Aug 2006 10:30 am
catweasel

is that Aroona Valley your staying at.

Post #7733410th Aug 2006 3:05 pm
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Right! Know the place?
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #7745410th Aug 2006 11:12 pm
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

LeighW wrote:
Dave, it is from North Queensland. I had it in 1988 before leaving Townsville (which Ross River flows through) and I have never had anything like it again, thank goodness (except for gastric hernia and recent bout of shingles).

I understand that following on from RRFever (no, not Range Rover Laughing ) that you suffer arthritic pain, and lethargy.

I have a friend who lives in Victoria Point who was suffering from it, from going to swimming hole (nearby Brisbane). Sad
 Dave

Disco Dreaming 

Post #7746210th Aug 2006 11:39 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yes Dave, typically you feel that you don't want to get out of bed, your bones and joints ache, when everyone else thinks it's hot, you feel cold and vice versa. Funny thing lying in a bed with outside temp around 30° C and you have the blankets pulled up because you feel cold. I know how your friend felt.

It supposedly doesn't re-occur but when your system feels run down and the joints are aching it is hard to imagine that it is only old age.

My bout with it lasted about 2 months from when diagnosed but you would have to really hate someone to wish Ross River Fever (aka Ross River virus) on them...
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #7746711th Aug 2006 2:58 am
catweasel

Tony wrote:
Right! Know the place?
Tony u have a PM  
Post #7747511th Aug 2006 7:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >