Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Ayers Rock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
catweasel

Ayers Rock

going to the rock at the start of October in my camper and was wondering if anyone has recently bin there and know of good camping spots and other side trips apart from the usual touristy things. any tracks etc to take the D3 on and is it safe to leave the camper unattended for a day. opinions please

Post #767138th Aug 2006 1:42 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

you lucky cat !! enjoy and post some great photos for us Smile

Post #767848th Aug 2006 5:36 pm
SMK

Australia 

Catweasel,

I was there in April, but with only two weeks to get from Perth to Alice and back and see a bit, we only did the touristy things. The only place we left the camper was for about 6 hours at Hermannesberg to go into Palm Valley. In hindsight, we could have easily got to the first carpark and left the camper there. The last 4 km's in is 4x4 only and is a good test of suspension travel but no big deal for a Disco - didn't get out of high range. As we were early in the season the roads were good mostly, it may be a lot worse in areas now given the amount of traffic that will be going over them. The mereenie loop road was very rough but trafficable. A friend of mine was there about 4 weks ago and said they did not attempt the Mereenie road as it was wet and slippery?
Enjoy your trip. Ihave posted some photos in my gallery of this trip

Post #769048th Aug 2006 11:16 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

CW, if you can ..get yourself over to Ross River Homestead in the Simpson Desert (bout 85k east of alice). I was there for 6 weeks in '89 ....a truely wonderful place Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #769078th Aug 2006 11:19 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Isn't that where the virus came from! Shocked

Cat, go over to www.aulro.com (australian landrover owners online) and PM BigJon. He works in Alice and may be able to give you a few tips.

Went there myself in 2002 in the suby (via great central road). Really nice spot, but we only had 10 days to do 5500km so it was a bit too rushed.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #769168th Aug 2006 11:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Cat - Only camping permitted in the area is at Yulara village or Curtin Springs, miles from the Rock and very touristy, very expensive and infested with backpackers, including many, many big, dairy-fed German blondes Very Happy Very Happy
Probably worth an overnight stop if you haven't been before - the Olgas are certainly worth the visit. There may be a possibility of bush camping overnight along the Tjukaruru Road to the west - it's the main track to WA, through Docker River settlement, but you need a permit as it is tribal land and camping is restricted to within 50 metres of the road.

Otherwise, go back towards Erldunda, then north towards Kings Canyon and about 300km along is Kings Station, or further on, the Canyon Resort; both allow camping, and you can then continue on the circle road to Alice Springs. And there are a lot of good places to the east of Alice which are still relatively tourist-free. Don't leave anything valuable lying round, and have a lock on the spare tyres and fuel cans!

There's also some good places in the Flinders on the way up to the Rock, but I guess you already know that area.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #769188th Aug 2006 11:56 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Jamo wrote:

Ross River fever was first identified in the Ross River area but can be contracted anywhere in the bush where mosi's flourish.

The gaff is here:

http://www.rossriverresort.com.au/about.htm
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #769229th Aug 2006 12:23 am
Jamo

Australia 

Yeah, I know! We get about 20 cases a year here on the south west coast. It's prety well spread over the whole country now; but it's not that easy to catch anyway.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #769239th Aug 2006 12:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

You're up early!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #769259th Aug 2006 12:38 am
JMC

Scotland 

Jamo wrote:
You're up early!

Probably letting his dogs out for wee-wee's again. I'm not sure if they have weak bladders or if DG is just addicted to this site and the dogs toiletries are an excuse. Probably find the PC is in a brown bag at the back of the garden shed Wink 8)

Post #769269th Aug 2006 12:49 am
Jamo

Australia 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

You're up early too! Shocked
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #769279th Aug 2006 1:01 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

JMC wrote:
...or if DG is just addicted to this site and the dogs toiletries are an excuse.

Oi...you know damn well I'm a discoholic......anyway......sleep is for wimps Very Happy
Post #769599th Aug 2006 8:53 am
catweasel

thanks for the info guys, it's given me somewhere to start my planning. SMK seen your pics before, luverly. is that your Kimberly in the pics.
DG will look into the homestead and thanks for the link.
Jamo will try aulro (will have to re-register since they upgraded the site Thud )
Tony going to Wilpena Pound in first week of Sept for annual family thingy, though will turn left at Pt Augusta when heading north in Oct and will not venture near the ranges. was thinking of Coopers Creek but her indoors not to keen on first trip in the D3 and am interested in the locations listed above. just hope the natives aren't too restless.
cheers guys

Post #770119th Aug 2006 1:09 pm
SMK

Australia 

CW,

Yes, thats my Kimberley. This was it 's first big trip. Performed brilliantly, no hassles except for a dodgy plug on the fridge which was easily fixed. Looking at doing the Flinders/Oonadatta track middle of next year - any tips would be appreciated.

Don't bother with the camping alonf the road to Docker River. We had a look on the way in with the idea of stopping there on the way back. Too close to the road and very ordinary. You can't stop off the road and you need a permit to traverse between the Olgas and the border from the central land council and from the border to Warburton you eed a permit from WA land council. Camping at Giles is ok and the weather station tour is good.

Post #771939th Aug 2006 10:52 pm
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

dickgriff wrote:
Jamo wrote:

Ross River fever was first identified in the Ross River area but can be contracted anywhere in the bush where mosi's flourish.

The gaff is here:

http://www.rossriverresort.com.au/about.htm

I thought the fever was from the Ross River in Townsville. Shocked
 Dave

Disco Dreaming 

Post #7720510th Aug 2006 1:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >