b+e licence/towing tin tent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
extract from the DFT's consultation

4.2 Topic No 6: Changes affecting cars and light vans towing trailers
Requirements of the new Directive
4.2.1. The new Directive amends the rules for driving cars and light vans towing trailers:

new conditions have to be satisfied in order to acquire entitlement to tow medium-sized trailers on a Category B licence. Category B entitlement automatically includes towing small trailers. To tow a large trailer, a Category B+E licence is still required. But an intermediate trailer-size has been introduced (restricted to combinations not exceeding 4250kg) - referred to in this consultation as category B9626;
an upper limit is placed on the combined Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of category B+E entitlement of seven tonnes; a standard minimum age to drive category B+E is set at 18 years.

Cars and light vans towing trailers

The new rules provide that:
motor vehicles in category B are allowed a maximum authorised mass (MAM) not exceeding 3500kg and may be combined with a trailer having a MAM which does not exceed 750kg;
subject to type approval rules motor vehicles in category B may be combined with a trailer exceeding 750kg as long as the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg:
motor vehicles in category B may tow a trailer with a MAM exceeding 750kg provided the combined MAM of the vehicle + trailer does not exceed 4250kg and the driver has qualified for B96 entitlement;
if the combined MAM of the motor vehicle in category B plus trailer exceeds 4250kg then the driver needs category B+E entitlement;
an upper limit is placed on the combined weight of category B+E entitlement of 7000kg MAM (category B vehicle up to 3500kg plus a trailer up to 3500kg):
the standard minimum age for category B+E is set at 18 years.

Options allowed in the new Directive
4.2.2. A Member State may require that to qualify for B96 entitlement a driver must, using a suitable vehicle-trailer combination:

pass an appropriate practical test; or

complete a period of approved training of minimum duration of 7 hours; or

complete the training and pass the test.

lower the minimum age for a category B+E licence to 17 years.

Our proposed implementation
(i) Qualification arrangements for B96 entitlement
4.2.3. Under the new Directive, new drivers seeking B96 entitlement will have to demonstrate competence, and the Directive allows each Member State to choose the nature of the qualifying event.

Last edited by character on 27th Jan 2010 12:09 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #59099527th Jan 2010 12:07 am
bigD

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

thanks for all the replys have shown him wot has been said
he's gutted but now wants to get on with passing the test so does
anyone now, where to take the test in the midlands, how much
and how hard is it. any info welcom

thanks again

regards bigd

Post #59099627th Jan 2010 12:09 am
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

bigD, the site sponsers Lincoln DT are a good start,or caravan club have a list of providers, and an article on someone who did the test, prob worth reading.
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #59099927th Jan 2010 12:19 am
character

been looking at upgrading my C1+E from the restricted 8250kg to 12000kg.

I believe he has to first of all apply to DVLA for the "provisional" entitlement to be put on his licence, then I'm sure he will need around an 1 hour assement with an instructor (once he's got his licence back), then no doubt a few lessons and the test after he's pasted his theory exam first.

In my case I have to have a medical, £80 (not sure whether he would but technically he could use his entitlement for any future career prospects so might have to), exam fee £115, initial assement £80, 2 days of lessons £600 but dont frighten him.

Of course once he's got his B+E he can then move up to get his C and then C1+E. I dont think he can jump straight up to C1+E without having done his B+E. Thumbs Up

Post #59100027th Jan 2010 12:20 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As a B licence holder you already have provisional B+E.

No medical required.

There was a thread about this fairly recently, I would search it out for you but it's late - have a go at www.disco3.co.uk/forum/search.php
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #59100327th Jan 2010 12:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

Unnecessary quote removed
Not this chap, only 26 and passed his test post 97 so no grandfather rights so will have to get E separately Thumbs Up

As for medical I'm sure you're right, but more importantly, needs to the provisional entitlement added to his licence before his instructor can take him on the road to assess his driving skills. Thumbs Up

Post #59100427th Jan 2010 12:30 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Note I said PROVISIONAL B+E.

I've just been through this process myself, licence issued year 2000, so I'd like to think I know what I had to do Wink

Post #59100627th Jan 2010 12:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

However, I will say that although licences from 1/1/97 should have provisional B+E automatically (stated on the counterpart I believe), given the DVLA's history I wouldn't assume it's actually there - so check.

Post #59100827th Jan 2010 12:39 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

isn't this just another way of screwing the public for more money Question (to pay fo duck house and moat cleaning Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter )
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #59101527th Jan 2010 5:53 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Alternatively, he could put L plates on and have his dad sit next to him!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #59105027th Jan 2010 8:05 am
mzplcg

England 

an off the wall question then if I may please.

As the holder of the C+E licence which I no longer use commercially, and given the new driver CPC laws coming into effect, if I choose not to maintain my C+E by not taking the new CPC, does it remain valid for caravan purposes?

There is also the matter of the 1st medical required at 45 years old. Again, if I don't bother with the medical does my licence remain valid for covering the B1+E category?

TIA. Dom.

Post #59105127th Jan 2010 8:06 am
bigD

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

i will find out later if he has b+e provisional on his licence

martin how much did it cost you to do the whole process
eg lessons test and so on

regards bigd

Post #59105527th Jan 2010 8:09 am
shanners

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
B + E Training

Hi,
Shanners (Lincoln Driver Training) has asked me to let you know that he does B+E training, the prices as follows (with Forum discount):
£120 full days training
£80 hire of trailer plus vehicle on day of test
£115 test fee payable directly to DSA
Please feel free to contact him on his mob - 07904603031 as he can't log into the forum from his Blackberry.
Cheers,
Mrs Shanners Thumbs Up

Post #59110227th Jan 2010 9:34 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I have provisional group A, GH. What are they, I think A is bike, but what is GH ?

Post #59111827th Jan 2010 10:03 am
character

mzplcg wrote:
an off the wall question then if I may please.

As the holder of the C+E licence which I no longer use commercially, and given the new driver CPC laws coming into effect, if I choose not to maintain my C+E by not taking the new CPC, does it remain valid for caravan purposes?

There is also the matter of the 1st medical required at 45 years old. Again, if I don't bother with the medical does my licence remain valid for covering the B1+E category?

TIA. Dom.
I would image you'll loose the entitlement after the 5 year period (periodic training) or when you come to re-new your licence either by default (ie move house or loose the original).

The idea of the "Drivers CPC" which is totally different to "CPC" (which is for transport managers) is to "harmonise" the abilities of drivers of goods vehicles, whether light or large and the licence catagories throughout the EU (currently over 103 different varients throughout member states). This periodic training will be updated every 5 year period. As of 2011 when the third part if the EU/126/06 comes in to force, your driving licence, when renewed by default, will be issued for only 10 years and not until you are 70 years old as is the case at present here in the UK. So if you have to change or when you replace your licence you will be issues with a new one without the higher classifications unless from Sept 09 - Sept 13 you have started your "Drivers CPC" which is 7 hours training per year. The course organiser will notify DVLA of your participation. You can take ALL the training in one hit or as the law says, stagger it over a period of the five years. Upon completion of the 35 hour training over 5 years, you'll be issued with a "Drivers CPC Card" in a style like the driving licence.

In effect, you will loose your "grandfather" rights either by default ie change of address etc or as a result of not having participated in a "Drivers CPC Course" during the initial period.

Obviously you would not have a need for the heavier catagories (which is primarily aimed at "goods vehicles") anyway if you don't use them so why would you miss them! The cost of the initial first "drivers CPC" module ranges between £80 - £100 depending on where you are in the country.

Regards the "medical" if you retain the higher catagories, you'll have a medical every 5 years Thumbs Up

For caravan purposes B+E, it is my understanding that you will not be effected but it is likely that when you change/update your licence you'll get B96 added along side automatically. For those new to driving, you'll have the option of taking the new class "B96" (gross vehicle mass of 4250) or the higher "E" (with gross vehicle mass of 7000kg) which will automatically get you the "B96" entitlement.

Got me first "Drivers CPC" module on Tuesday, £100 plus vat including a buffet lunch Rolling with laughter

Last edited by character on 27th Jan 2010 10:55 am. Edited 10 times in total 
Post #59113027th Jan 2010 10:19 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >