Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Back to the fold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 
Back to the fold

Hi all. I have enjoyed a very long love, hate relationship with LR, and after an absence of 4 or so years, I am getting back into a green oval. Just ordered a D300 Discovery Metropolitan in Byron Blue with some extra bits including:

Roof rails
Headlight power wash
Massage seats
Tow pack
Pre heater
Configurable Terrain Response
Activity key
Mudflaps - Front
Mudflaps - Rear
Deep-Sided Rubber Mats
Cross Bars

No indication of delivery date just yet

Post #227312416th Jan 2022 1:20 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

Binned the idea and went with an Audi Q7 Vorsprung.

Last edited by Tanglewood on 24th Mar 2022 9:57 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #228471022nd Mar 2022 6:22 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

As the French would ask, pourquoi?

Post #228471222nd Mar 2022 6:43 pm
GLYNNE

England 

Why the change of heart Question Was it the lack of delivery dates Question

Post #228472122nd Mar 2022 7:17 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

So I left LR in 2017 having had a long line of Defenders and Discoverys. I left mainly due to the reliability problems they suffered from and then the subsequent appalling customer service I received. Like most on here though, the brand is under the skin, and after a 5 year break during which time I have had a Volvo (that has been faultless) I thought I would venture back to the fold. I did the math and ordered the vehicle detailed above. I then retrospectively sat and had a think why it was that I had left in the first place, read some of the stories on the D5 forum and gave my self a shake! I called the dealer, got my deposit back and looked elsewhere. Even trying to get the deposit back was a bad experience!

I opted for the face-lifted Q7 Vorsprung in 50TDI guise. Stunning car, and after reading lots of reviews, hopefully reliable. It obviously hasn't got the off road prowess that comes with a Discovery, but being honest, not many of us actually use these vehicles to their full potential. We like the road presence, commanding driving position and the space offered by a large SUV. The Q7 ticks all those boxes.

Last edited by Tanglewood on 8th Jan 2024 11:59 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #228472222nd Mar 2022 7:18 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Fully agree with the “under the skin” bit, having had my first LR in 1989 and more on than off since then, ISTR 26 in total. I see D3s on my travels and my emotions are a mix of I miss them but I don’t miss the hassle that goes with them. I think now I’ve gotten used to totally reliable motoring I deffo don’t want to go back. Yes, I had many adventures with my D3, real adventures like N Africa, Pyrenees, Scandinavia, E Europe, etc, but I’d just be trying to replicate the memories, which never works. Peeps often say “who’d want a boring car” ie not a LR, I think why would anyone want that level of hassle/stress. Thumbs Up

Discuss, in less than 12,000 words. Whistle

Post #228472622nd Mar 2022 7:28 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The latest Q7 looks much nicer than previous models and the D5, IMO. Thumbs Up

If I didn’t really need the off road capability, I wouldn’t have a LR. I do use it though and I do really, really like having a split tailgate.

I’m as yet undecided as to what I’ll replace the FFRR with. I’ll probably keep it until I can longer get a warranty on it and see what’s available then.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Last edited by LT on 22nd Mar 2022 7:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #228472822nd Mar 2022 7:44 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

I’ve had every Series LR, every Defender (except the latest creation) and every model of Discovery up to the D4. I was prepared to give it another shot but reading stories of leaking windscreens, electrical foibles and a suggestion that they are also suffering from failing crankshafts, I lost my bottle! I could see myself running around in a Disco Sport loan car for weeks on end whilst mine was in the garage! There is no getting away from JLR’s dire reliability record and even if you stick your head in the sand and ignore it, at some point reality bites. What sealed it for me was whilst I was at the dealership getting my deposit back, some guy was asking for a test drive. The dealership couldn’t give him one as their demonstrator was with a customer that refused to give it back until they had resolved his problems! All in all, a lucky escape I think.

Last edited by Tanglewood on 8th Jan 2024 12:00 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #228473122nd Mar 2022 7:48 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
The latest Q7 looks much nicer IMO. Thumbs Up

If I didn’t really need the off road capability, I wouldn’t have a LR. I do use it though and I do really, really like having a split tailgate.

I’m as yet undecided as to what I’ll replace the FFRR with. I’ll probably keep it until I can longer get a warranty on by it and see what’s available then.

I’ve never had an Audi before, my wife had a 3.2 TT when I met her and it was a hoot to drive. I looked around for weeks for a decent size luxury SUV and in the end it came to a toss up between the D5, the X7 and the Q7. As I said above, the D5 got the vote initially. The deposit was only on the car for 2 days! Even when I handed my card over to pay it, I knew I was doing the wrong thing!!! Anyway, the Q7 is lovely. The only additions to the Vorsprung spec I added were met paint, larger fuel tank and the upgraded LCD cockpit. A pal has the same engined vehicle in a different trim and he regularly gets low 40mpg on a run. I think the new MHEV helps with this somewhat. Car was built last week and gets here at the end of April. To say I’m excited is an understatement!

Post #228473322nd Mar 2022 7:57 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The demise of the independent/family run LR dealer to be replaced with the large multi marque corporations was the downfall in my experience.

I used to use TH White and when they left the marque MJ Fews, who for a few years managed to remain an authorised service centre. Sadly no longer though.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #228473722nd Mar 2022 8:13 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Tanglewood wrote:
What sealed it for me was whilst I was at the dealership getting my deposit back, some guy was asking for a test drive. The dealership couldn’t give him one as their demonstrator was with a customer that refused to give it back until they had resolved his problems! All in all, a lucky escape I think.

I remain of the opinion that the dealerships are the underlying issue with respect of reliability. They either sit on a car not doing anything with it whilst they do the money-making oil changes, or they send it out with the fault not sorted only to have it return several times.

I don't see the point in buying a new one and taking a big depreciation hit, so I'll buy second hand and use an indie for all servicing etc.

My last RRS was a pain when using the local main dealer. As soon as I started with an indie it was like a different car. My current RRS is also, touch wood, likewise. Sure, it's had a couple of issues but then so has every car I've ever owned.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #228474022nd Mar 2022 8:23 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

I recognise most, if not all of what you say there. I went with a new Q7 due to the significant discount I got. It’s a keeper until I go fully electric.

Post #228474522nd Mar 2022 8:41 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

A friend of ours has a Q7 (a few years old) and loves it. Hopefully you will love yours. Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #228474822nd Mar 2022 8:59 pm
GLYNNE

England 

I can’t disagree with anything you’ve said sadly. I bought my D5 new and have it serviced at my local Indy. If I didn’t have such a great local Indy I’m sure I would have moved on.
Had mine two years now and touch wood……… no I’m not going to say it Rolling with laughter

Post #228483823rd Mar 2022 3:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >