Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

BAD ROAD HANDLING?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Pers, yes I do believe that my car also drops slightly as I get out, this is accompanied by a hiss. I don't think its abnormal though.

The workshop manual says that even when the car is shut down and 'asleep' the suspension ecu will wake up every two hours and adjust the air suspension. So with this is mind, I don't see the problem in it adjusting for the fact that you have just got out of it when you lock it.

Post #31854th May 2005 11:10 pm
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

I thought we covered this already!!! Crying or Very sad
The weights are vibration dampeners!
They have nothing to do with any system and they are not valves to release air pressure from inside the cabin.
They are there solely to dampen vibrations on the vehicle’s frame!!
BN wrote:
Pers1, the D3 has dynamic road holding which works with your ABS and the huge weights under the rear bumper blah blah.
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #31905th May 2005 3:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

freeflytim, the question re the weights was for the road holding part of the question and ABS. Yes the weights act partly as you say, but if they do not, then the rear wheels may tramp and the chassis would vibrate and the ABS would not work, neither would the DSC etc. These weights have interested me for a while now and I am seeing the LR design guys on the 26th May over other matters, so I intend to find out exactly what they do as well. What we have found is that some cars with tow packs on have the harness wrong obstructing the weights free movement. Also the weights can catch on the body in severe movements, generally in acceleration.

To get back to pers1 question, the air suspension system in his vehicle sounds to have a leak and should be checked ASAP. Don't forget that one of LR's own Expereince vehicles suspension actually collapsed due to the turbo melting a suspension pipe that was wrongly routed. pers1 sounds like a leaking valve however.

Post #31915th May 2005 7:46 am
pers1

Funny thing is that LR are able to make the air susspension wake up, but not the pre-heater! or like some one wound say " dumm ass" "foot up youre ass"
Someone at LR need som serious "foot up their ass"!

With all these computers the following should have been programed:

1. Comand shift in sport= Lower it`s self and tightens the springs

2. One should have been abel to choose a comfort mode, like touareg and
Landcruiser!

Just a tought!
Or at the deales Heres youre car Sir how would you like it setup!

Pers
Ps! this car cost over $100.000 as a 2 seater i Norway!!!!!

Post #31925th May 2005 7:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mwillems

2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Hi,

pers1 wrote:

1: in speeds between 40 - 60 Km/h and in turns it handels worse than my old
Disco 2 HSE 2003 model! The way a now this is my dog slides back and forth. She didn`t do this in the D2! And one can feel that it "leans"in instead of out of longer turnes (60 km/h)
PerS

That is surprising, as I drove both the Disco 2 and LR3 and I find the LR3 much better than the Disco2. The Disco2 I nearly lost doing a steep turn, the first time I test drove it. The LR3 has not yet done that to me, and I do drive it fast around corners sometimes.

The laws of nature and interia being what they are, I am not sure that your dog moving is an indication of worse roadholding or -handling..? It may even mean better, I would think.

Post #31965th May 2005 2:02 pm
ducati

I have noticed the same with my dog (always in the back, used to own a 2003 Disco V8 w/out ACE). I started paying particular attention to the situations as they are on oft-traveled roads, and I found out that I am consistently driving the LR3 quicker through turns, thus generating more g's of sideload on the dog. I'm not rallying the beast, mind you, but 20mph is much faster than 12.

Now, I have also noticed the rubber mat in the back of the LR3 slides around, unlike the mat in the Disco 2. This is also partially responsible for his unequal footing at times. I am looking for a way to tether the mat to help his footing.

Now when I don't have the dog in the car, I will sometimes drive the LR3 much harder. The suspension adjusts accordingly (and automatically) stiffening the vehicle, especially in chicanes and the like. You can't select this mode, but it's quite easy to feel it happening--take a sudden curve after a dawdling drive, and by the second sudden curve the vehicle leans much less and has much more roll stiffness. I can only assume this is related to the air springs, as these vehicles do not have the forthcoming ACE-like system of the RRS. It's quite nice.

My traveling buddy, Henry:
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #32296th May 2005 1:50 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

ducati wrote:
I have noticed the same with my dog (always in the back, used to own a 2003 Disco V8 w/out ACE).

What's your dog own now then?

Wink

Post #32326th May 2005 2:12 pm
ducati

Yes, nice grammatical snafu there. Embarassed

What's my dog own? ME!!! LOL
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #32336th May 2005 2:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to: