Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Bailey Alutec twin axles question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
t7mbo

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Al, the wheels are not balanced from the factory.
There has been a big discussion on the caravantalk forum about this....

Post #93172015th May 2012 11:37 am
al cope

England 

WHAT!!

so if mine are out, can I send Bailey the bill?? (and no puns about Bill Bailey please)

thats well out of order. I thought the 'van manufacturers brought them in as made up sets, tyre fitted/balanced and then just dropped them onto the 'vans.

I know the tyres look as though they been fitted correctly, as the valve position indicators on the tyres are aligned with the valves OK.

I'll be getting mine out of storage in a couple of weeks time, so will have to wait until then to find out.

Cheers
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #93179215th May 2012 2:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I guarantee they will be out !!!

I never bothered getting the wheels on our first van balanced but did with our new bailey after all the wheel detachment issues.

I think one side took 20-30g and the other 50 odd.

I've heard horror stories of some people needing 150g to balance !!!!!

I have noticed a few new 2012 models already have balanced wheels out of the factory.

Post #93219816th May 2012 4:18 pm
al cope

England 

Mine is a 2012 model - but I will be checking when I pull it back out of storage.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #93221316th May 2012 5:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Be interested to hear if they're already done Al.

I'm sure my grey matter remembers a Barcelona twin axle with balanced wheels at the local dealer.

Cheers Dave

Post #93221416th May 2012 5:12 pm
al cope

England 

well - not one wheel balanced at all. Just had all four balanced, so will find out at the weekend if it make any difference.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #93611428th May 2012 5:44 pm
al cope

England 

well, after a 380 mile round trip, balancing the wheels did make a slight difference. The van didnt seems to be bouncing around quite so much - its still not as smooth a tow as the Abbey was, but thats got to be down to the slab faced front end.

I must say, for just the 2 of us (kids away - so just me and the missus), this 6 berth layout was great - Lounge at the front, kitchen and dinner seating the middle, fixed bed at the back - great.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #94070811th Jun 2012 10:11 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have just towed our Bailey Unicorn Madrid, single axle for the first time. Despite very good loading and then trying slightly heavier at the nose, it still feels more bouncy than the previous two Swift caravans. One was a twin axle, the other a single. Both were about the same weight (unladen and max permissible). None of the wheels had balance weights, but the Bailey definately lets me know it is there. Can't say that the ATC seemed to make any difference, but I guess that is the whole point of it!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #94071811th Jun 2012 10:35 am
muddywheels4wd

England 

Towed a Fleetwood twin axle in the late 90's with a Landcruiser - before I saw the light Embarassed

Anyway Fleetwood towed like a dream even at 70 with no stabiliser and got 25mpg towing/28 solo Shocked

Now towing an Elddis Twin axle with stabiliser and it is twitchy as hell - never go over 60 and even then it is hairy and 22mpg towing/28 solo Sad

Unladen when purchased the noseweight gauge showed 125kg Rolling Eyes

I am on caravantalk too and as said previously I am looking at wheel balance despite tyre fitter advising not necessary when I got puncture end of last season Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Refreshing over here - no caravan bashing like RRSport and Freel2 Bow down
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #94073711th Jun 2012 11:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >