Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Bailey Alutec twin axles question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
al cope

England 
Bailey Alutec twin axles question

I know a few of you guys have pegasus and unicorn twin axles, and I've now got an olympus 620. I think they all run on the Alko twin axle chassis with shocks and ATC, so after a bit of input........

We had our second outing over the bank hol weekend, and I love the space/practicality the Bailey offers, and even (much to my surprise after years of slagging them off) like the very comfy fixed bed (and for somebody at 6'4" I never thougt I'd say that).

But - I dont think it tows as well as the Abbey Spectrum I had previously. It seems nervous/twitchy/heavy, and the D3 always seems to be having to work to move it along (also MPG was way down - 16mpg I recon). I know it has the aerodynamics of a brick, but I wasnt quite expecting this. The Abbey ran so smoothly and easily (and was heavier than the Bailey) I used to forget it was there.

Oh, and with two lightwaight gas bottles and a lot of moving of gear, have finally managed to get the noseweight down to 100kg. Shocked

Its towing behaviour is the only thing so far that I'm disappointed about with it.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #9294348th May 2012 5:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Al

i've owned a 646 Alutech for the past couple of years , in fact a i managed 3k around France last year. Tow's excellent in my opinion although i find the more nose weight the better. MPG usually around 21 when its on the back.
 Club Forum Criminal !!!  
Post #9294368th May 2012 5:58 pm
al cope

England 

Cheers Buell - yours a manual or auto D3? My old manual would stay in the 20's when towing, auto never has.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #9294388th May 2012 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Auto D4 with 6 speed. I've yet to try my 12MY 8 speed Whistle
 Club Forum Criminal !!!  
Post #9294398th May 2012 6:04 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Picking up my swift twin axle this week, hope it tows well after reading this Confused

When loading is it different to a single axle, large items between the axles etc?

Post #9294428th May 2012 6:20 pm
al cope

England 

yep, load balance isnt quite as critical on a TA as it is on a single axle, but same common sence applies - heavy stuff as close to the middle as you can.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #9294648th May 2012 7:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #9294668th May 2012 7:05 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Al
we have a Unicorn Barcelona, it tows very well but as others have said tendsto bounce about a bit if the nose weight is on the light side, have the nose weight right up close to maximum and it tows like a dream. As for MPG I get anywhere between 19 and 24 but have not done a real long run with the 8 speed box yet, furthest i did was 70 miles on motorway.Will be giving it a longer run in August when I go to France.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #9294678th May 2012 7:09 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

With caravans, aerodynamics probably have the biggest impact on towing (and mpg of course). Having towed many different caravans with a huge range of towcars (private combinations and ones being tested) I have found that Swift products do tow the best if loaded properly of course.

Our current Lunar tows very well, but mpg is down on a previously owned Abbey GTS. I put that down to the more vertical front. The current crop of Bailey's seem even more upright at the front. When developing new models, I know that Swift are pretty unique in the UK as they use wind tunnels for testing aerodynamics.

Post #9294708th May 2012 7:14 pm
Adrian T

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

We have a Bailey Senator Wyoming S6 with weight upgrade to 1800kg so now have a payload of 365kg and we are normally close to the limit, our D3 auto managed 22/24 mpg over 3000ish miles, we have only had three trips with the D4 auto all around 300 miles and each trip averaged 20 mpg, D4 has only done 8000 miles so hoping this will improve, the Wyoming is not alutech but the running gear is the same and shape is I think, I do like to run with approx 120/130 kg on the hitch which I know is more than Bailey state for there twin axel vans but have found this along with loading all heavy items over the two axels the van tows very well, have been out in some windy weather with no effect at all, have asked a few people on sites with twin axel baileys if they have found them to be front heavy, would seem unless you keep the front locker almost empty or start moving things further back you will struggle to keep at the 100kg limit,
Hope this is of some help. Thumbs Up

Post #9294898th May 2012 7:55 pm
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Not a twin axle owner but a single axle unicorn.

We too found the van more lively compared to our previous swift.

There are a number of theories I've seen posted around.

Firstly make sure you run as close to 100kg nose weight as possible with as little at the back of the van as possible.

Secondly the alutec is believed to be a much stiffer construction than traditional cans which flex quite a lot on the road which in turn reduces loads transmitted back to the hitch whereas the bailey is so rigid a shell you feel every last bump and twitch in the car.

Ours took a little getting used to and getting the loading right and both the disco and navara tow beautifully.

One thing I did notice is the van tows far smoother at around 60 than 55 ish.

Post #9294998th May 2012 8:11 pm
al cope

England 

Cheers guys - a little bit more playing around with noseweight loads then (might leave it up at 110kg), and yes, I pushed up the speed a touch when overtaking some slow moving trucks, and noticed I was up on 65mph for a short burst, and the 'van did smooth out. Coincidentally, the Abbey used to do this, which ment towing in France until last year (with the new towing speed limits) was a dream, as the D3 would hold 65 to 70 mph all day, and the Abbay ran smooth as silk.

Maybe it is the 'van stiffness (shell and shocks fitted), as you have said, its like all the impacts on the 'van being transmitted to the car through the towball which make it feel harsh.

Thanks again

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #9296859th May 2012 8:25 am
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Unicorn Barcelona here too.... I find it tows very well - very 'solid' compared to the previous Sterling Elite Explorer that had a tendency to bounce along a bit and you could often feel it pull when overtaking on a motorway.

I guess the ATC on the Bailey helps, but I just haven't felt the same drifting feeling when overtaking.

MPG was around 20-25 with the D3 and Sterling. Roughly the same with the D4 8-speed and Bailey, despite the Bailey being a brick and a bit heavier.

As for towing speed, I really can't recommend 60+. Sure, the D3/D4 will do it all day, but fuel consumption takes a sharp hit and you are one step closer to the beyond if anything bad happens (and, believe me, it won't take much at high speed). Wherever I am, I always use 60 as a maximum - I am on holiday, after all!

Post #93156314th May 2012 8:21 pm
t7mbo

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

We've got a Pegasus 646 twin axle and we too did not find it as smooth as our old Senator or Spectrum.
My advice is to get the caravan wheels balanced .
I did this on the advice of another owner, and it has transformed the towing experience.....
I always find Kingswinford Tyres very good for balancing.

Post #93163114th May 2012 11:02 pm
al cope

England 

worth a check I guess, but its a brand new 'van - so wouldnt have expected to have to get its wheel balanced.

Zapp - sort of agree with you, but at 65mph (where permisable - not France since last year Big Cry ), the arodyamincs seem to smooth the ride out.

60 is usually where I sit if possible.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #93171315th May 2012 11:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >