Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Bailey Olympus
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
al cope

England 

I woulnt know, as it 4 days old (well plus a bit for delivery). Some others on here have had theres longer, so may comment. Does it say that in the service book, as I havnt read all the docs yet.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #89537910th Feb 2012 9:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chippy

England 

Bolts get checked on the services and are tricked off on the the service sheets, this is what I was told by the main dealer
that I purchased from.

Tows like a dream once you get used to the active chassis. I'm sure you will love it Thumbs Up

Post #89538210th Feb 2012 9:58 am
Pelyma

England 

The guy who services our caravan was ranting about it, that Bailey say they need checking and tightening each year but there is a lot of work to actually get to the bolts. He reckoned you either charged more to do it or more likely don't do them. Chippy is the main dealer charging more?
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #89783216th Feb 2012 11:02 am
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi chaps - the body clamp bolts are not checked at every service. Only at the 3rd year service and it is a check.

As the van construction is so new Bailey are gathering real life data from the services they will monitor how the bolt torque retention fairs over time and if there is no issue they may look to never checking the bolts from that point onwards.

I believe that the adhesive used between the extruded clamp pieces and the mating panels does the majority of the work.

Certainly nowt to worry about til year 3 and even then accessing the bolts is pretty easy, I've had a look at a few of them myself.

Hth

Cheers

Post #89783716th Feb 2012 11:14 am
Pelyma

England 

Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #89788616th Feb 2012 12:55 pm
tombuidhe

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi, bought a Bailey Olympus last year and the dealer advised that for the first 3 years Bailey say that the bolts must be checked and consequently the service charge for those 3 years will be slightly more (about £40 per service). After 3 years they no longer require to be checked as part of the annual service. I would think that if you didn't have the annual checks done that it may invalidate the warranty if there's a subsequent problem.

David Thumbs Up
 For I am a raindog too.  
Post #89792216th Feb 2012 2:20 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Had our Pegasus 514 since January 2010 and it's been just great. We had a 6-berth Elddis Crusader Superstorm before that and the Bailey just swallowed everything we took out of that with room to spare Surprised

We were told the bolts would have to be checked every year but we haven't had them checked once yet - the van is regularly serviced but not by an 'official' Bailey dealer. They want silly money to do it and you can bet your life, unless you watch them, their techs won't bother looking at the bolts. We've towed the van around for 4 to 5K miles now and nothing has come loose yet Laughing

As someone said earlier, the bodywork does dent fairly easily and we picked up a stone dent soon after having the van but the later models have much thicker protection than the early ones.

Beware the front towing protectors though. One of the suckers securing ours came unstuck from the van in high winds while our van was parked on our storage site. It caused £1800 of damage Big Cry

Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #89794616th Feb 2012 3:03 pm
Chippy

England 

Ok chaps just got back from the caravan show at ExCel, raised the bolt issue with the on site Bailey tec and the bolts are checked on the third service at no extra charge. I then went round to the dealer which I purchased mine from and asked the same question and got the same answer. Asked about condensation issue on the ali window frames, there answer is to vent the van more. Looked at all thats out there and still think the 646 was the right van for us.

Post #89806916th Feb 2012 8:03 pm
al cope

England 

Well just tried it for a couple of nights, and very nice indeed. Only problem I found is very minor, the non-return valve leading to the hot water tank isnt working fully, so letting a trickle of water back out - easy fix tommorow.

I must say towing it wasnt as comfortable as I would have liked, given its got shock absorbers, and ATC trailer control. It felt harsh on the towball. It might be down to noseweight, as I checked it at 130kg, which is way higher than the 100kg Bailey say is max. My probelm is that appart from 2 7kg gas bottles in the front locker (one almost empty), and a bucket with the water pump, and an empty waste bottle, there was nothing else in front of the axles, so how to hit 100kg. A call to Bailey in the morning methinks. I do not want to start having to load up the rer to counterbalance the front - thats dodgy ground.

Any other Bailey twinaxle owners had noseweitght issues?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #89906519th Feb 2012 4:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chippy

England 

Yep its not easy, everythng other than the gas bottles is either on or behind the axels for me and then I get 100kg. You do get used to the ATC. it feels abit like you are fighting it at first but eventually you learn to trust the system and it feels solid.

If I check the nose weight when my 646 is empty it goe just over 90kg. I find tyre pressures on the discovery are everything when towing ATC.

I to had some pipe work issues and ended up re-piping the internal pump to stop noise, I think the quality control on these can
be a little sketchy. Whistle

Post #89906719th Feb 2012 5:02 pm
al cope

England 

well a quick call to Bailey, and the answer was - load stuff behind the axles to balance it - now I didnt think that was good practice, but looks like I've no chioce if I want to hit 100kg.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #89932320th Feb 2012 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >