Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

BAS EGR bypass kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

So presumably you've found a workaround for the closed-loop feedback from the EGRV's?

Post #44606229th Mar 2009 12:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yup,
The ecu now does not need them connected electricly at all to drive as it should Smile

Pete

Post #44606429th Mar 2009 12:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

well done, the EGRV interactivity is a integral part of the engine mapping / self test, you must have spent ages re-engineering the ECM to do that

Post #44606729th Mar 2009 12:14 am
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:
I chose not to blank on the wrong side of the EGRV, in warranty or not, it makes no engineering sense to put blanking plates on the outlet of the EGRV's

Removing the throttle butterfly on it's own helps with the pull-away 'dip' on a manual transmission vehicle, it does nothing to an auto-trans vehicle by virtue of the higher revs needed before the TC locks, just this mod on it's own will preserve the EGRV's - here's why:-
Blanked off EGRV's will allow exhaust gases to enter them up to the blanking plate, this in turn causes a swirl of exhaust gases, the EGRV's are 'cooled' to a certain extent. Unless Exhaust gases pass through the valves, some of these cooled gases will condense inside the valves chamber forming nitric acid. This in tirn will corrode the EGRV's spindle, seals and eventually work it's way through to the electrical components at the rear of the EGRV, causing the MIL to illuminate upon EGRV failure.
There are only two three ways to prevent this
1. leave the EGR system as it is and wait for the EGRV manufacturer to get it right
2. remove the throttle butterfly and let minimal exhause gases flow through the EGRV's thereby drying out the valves and reducing the potential for condensing gases eating away at the valve components
3. remove the throttle butterfly & blank off the EGRV's between the exhaust manifold and the valve, preventing any ingress into the EGRV at all

Maybe the case if you own a 2007 D3 with 2 good working EGRs. But what if your vehicle is 2005 with both causing problems? Then it does make engineering sense to blank them, unless you're happy to part with hundreds of £ to replace with yet more crappy valves that will last maybe 2 years? In pre 07 vehicles there is no MIL on EGR fail, so the only down side of blanking a failing/failed valve is the (negligible) environmental impact. Once it's started to go wrong, who cares what else corrodes inside it if it's blanked - it's fecked anyway. For the later vehicles where the MIL illuminates, as I said, more of a PIA. Maybe someone will one day come up with a device to tell the ECU not to light up the MIL on EGR fail, or even better, stop the engine from even trying to test / operate the EGRV at all.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #44607029th Mar 2009 12:20 am
10forcash

Pre-07MY vehicles do not illuminate the MIL in some failed EGRV circumstances but DO fall back to a reduced performance strategy, typically the indication is reduced fuel economy and a lower rate of turbo boost

Is there some sort of 'warranty envy' going on here? Confused

Last edited by 10forcash on 29th Mar 2009 12:29 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44607229th Mar 2009 12:27 am
bellautos

Yes trawling in files looking for single bytes, and after all that its probabaly not worth it loool.

Pete

Post #44607429th Mar 2009 12:28 am
bellautos

The later ones are no problem either realy its just masses of time to replicate for all cars looking in the many different LR calibrations for things like

EGR_AIRV: factor for air mass flow through the engine
EGR_AIRV: factor to consider pressure ratio
and changing things like

Torque threshold for EGR disable (inj. state GES = 1)
AGE_EACT: delay time for EGR enable after start
Threshold for TQI-gradient for EGR-disable
while remembering to switch off the button for back up EGR strategy
Just to name a few.

Doing it is not hard, finding all the bytes in the file is very time consuming.

Pete

Last edited by bellautos on 29th Mar 2009 1:14 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #44607729th Mar 2009 12:42 am
nealgs

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Pete,

all that work reminds me of looking for infinite life pokes (hacks), all weapons etc in games on the old ZX spectrum/BBC Micro during the early 80's

looking through and watching binary files for a particular byte/bit to change etc - lol

keep up the good work Thumbs Up

Gary
 Gone: Java Black TDV6, Auto, HSE - yum, yum Smile
(Gone: 96' V8 ES Charleston Green, 96 V8 ES Black)
Toy: Southern Roadcraft Cobra, 383ci Chevy V8

Club - HiVis Smile
Club - Disco3.co.uk Round Stickers
Club - Disco3.co.uk External Badge 

Post #44608029th Mar 2009 12:54 am
bellautos

Youve got it Smile i remember writing a few absoloutly crap games for the spectrum 48k, it was the bees nees of computers as you know when it first came out.

Its like watching the matrix film over and over lol

Pete

Post #44608129th Mar 2009 1:11 am
ridgeback_moor

10forcash wrote:

Is there some sort of 'warranty envy' going on here? Confused

Errr, no! I'm simply highlighting the different way of thinking between someone who is under LR warranty (like you) and someone who is not (me). If I was in warranty I wouldn't insert blanks, a) because LR would replace a faulty valve FOC, and b) because the blank may invalidate any claim. Better still, the engine designer could use a more suitable and robust method of controlling NOx emissions.

But post warranty, on my particular vehicle, it makes more sense to spend a fiver on 2 bits of steel plate rather than £600 in 2 craply designed, limited life valves that feed junk into my inlet manifolds. Simple as that, and no-one has come up with a good enough reason to make me change my mind.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #44608429th Mar 2009 1:42 am
The Coachman

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Well I have learnt alot from this post! My 2004 TDV6 broke down this morning - Land Rover Assistance came out and diagnosed a failed EGR valve (N/S). He did a temp repair and then we took it back to dealers. As I had a select warranty I thought great item covered. I was wrong (again) not covered by select and £300 to supply and fit new valve. Dealer kindly looked at it and tackled the warranty issue but no joy, EGR valve now on back order as there is none available. I read this and decided to blank it off and the dealer is going to do this for me. My question is can I expect it to perform ok with one EGR blanked off? I have no warning light etc as its an older car. Do I just wait for the other one to fail or blank that one off now as well? I cant justify spending another £300 on this car - its cost and lost a fortune in the year Ive owned it, my warranty, which has never covered a thing thats broken, runs out soon anyway so I wont affect that, and after that Im on my own. Any help is appreciated.

Post #44753231st Mar 2009 5:43 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

A bit O/T but a warranty not covering an EGR valve ??? Its an integral part of the engine for goodness sake, that's ridiculous.
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #44754331st Mar 2009 6:12 pm
ridgeback_moor

In your position Coachman, I would (and have) blank both sides. And if the valve has failed there's no reason (IMHO) to go to the extra effort of trying to blank the input to the valve, rather than the output (which is much easier to get to). You need to take out the butterfly valve as well though.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #44754831st Mar 2009 6:18 pm
The Coachman

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Warranty not covering it! Dont even go there. A WARNING to anyone who is fobbed off with a Land Rover Select Warranty on a 60,000 mile plus vehicle IT COVERS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING and further more ITS NOT EVEN WORTH THE POSTAGE STAMP THEY SEND IT YOU WITH Exclamation Exclamation

Off Topic I know but here is my last 9 months list of failed (and not covered) items;

Diff failed not covered
CD player failed not covered
Both ball joints failed not covered
EPB failed not covered
Oil leak not covered
EGR valve not covered
Dodgy door lock not covered

In all the failed items Ive yet to have a succesful claim against my select warranty and ive tried several dealers as well to get things sorted.

Post #44755131st Mar 2009 6:23 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Blimey! What does it cover ?
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #44755231st Mar 2009 6:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >