Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Batteries - Sucking the life out of mine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Battery--->inverter--->charger--->battery sounds pretty inefficient and suggests losses through heat.

Why not battery--->charger-->battery or am I missing something?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #104071123rd Jan 2013 1:28 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Robbie and yep you could use a modified DC/DC device but both the inverter and the charger can be used in multiple rolls whereas a DC/DC device, even though it by itself costs more, the DC/DC device has one single use.

Plus, even when customers use my system to charge house batteries, the maximum recommended discharge/charge rates are not intended to be any higher than 10 amps, whereas DC/DC devices start at about 20 amps and thats getting way to high a constant current draw for two batteries and will have a detrimental effect on the host batteries.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #104073123rd Jan 2013 2:00 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Ok. In the UK we can get low amperage DC to DC chargers and switchable units. Only cost about £20.

Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #104073423rd Jan 2013 2:08 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

They are a good idea but you still need a battery charger to charge the battery pack or what ever type of battery you use as the host for charging the cranking battery.
Post #104074123rd Jan 2013 2:17 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

drivesafe wrote:

Again, Sharky, Warren and Landylad, you need to look at your driving habits and if you suffer form Shopping Trolley Syndrome, alternate charging of your battery is the only solution.

I tend to agree that not enough long haul drives is part of the problem. But as I mentioned, I charged the battery up at night and then next morning, the warning light came on after 20 or so mins with remote climate FBH activated.

Do you think this points to a problem with the battery not being brought up to a reasonable charged state? It runs 14.7-14.8 when on the move, so alternator ok.
 If in doot, flat oot!! 

Last edited by Landylad on 23rd Jan 2013 2:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #104076123rd Jan 2013 2:39 pm
Landylad

Drivesafe talks of cranking and aux batteries..... I thought there was only one as standard on the D4?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #104076323rd Jan 2013 2:43 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Landylad and there is only one battery in your D4.

The Auxiliary battery is part of a dual battery system, added to a D4 as an after market accessory but in your case, I do not believe a dual battery set up would remove the need to charge batteries with a battery charger.

One of my systems, because they work in a different way to all other dual battery systems, would definitely allow for better operation of your RBH, BUT you would still need to use your battery charger at night.

So I don’t see any real advantage to you installing a dual battery system.
Post #104100623rd Jan 2013 8:05 pm
Landylad

This story has got more twists and turns than an episode of X-Files!

OK, latest update - I've now had the car in for the 3rd time of asking to stealers. This time, I said that honestly, I just want a new battery fitted as I was pretty sure that's what it was. Respect to the stealers, they replaced the older flooded unit with a new AGM version (seemingly the older versions are all getting superseded now in any case).

So I thought my problems would be solved. I put it on an overnight charge due to it only reading 12.5v at rest. Unhooked the charger in the morning, checked the voltage reading and it only said 12.7v Question

Turned on FBH via remote and it crapped out before it had gone through cycle Big Cry

That was Saturday. Never charged it up after that, but did run around in it about 2 hours that day.

Took another reading at night and stated 12.6v.

Drove it on Sunday, up to the ski slopes, not using FBH in the morning either.... so that was an hour and a half running.

Got back to car for a coffee and the battery warning light was on!!! WTF!! That's the first time that's happened to me as normally after it coming up, I run the motor and it's fine.

All this with a new AGM battery and a (second) recent reset/update on the BMS software. Which leads me to one or two conclusions;

Either the AGM battery (seemingly off the shelf) that the stealer fitted was pretty bloody flat and my initial charge wasn't enough to get it up to a decent reading or....
There's a problem somewhere else that is causing a drainage on the battery.

Stealers talking to their tech dept, but tbh, I think everyone is kinda stumped on this.

Any ideas what voltage a full charged AGM battery should be showinig under no load?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #105384012th Feb 2013 1:41 pm
kp

United Kingdom 

You could ask them to do a wiggs and turn the BMS off Wink

On a serious note you need to see whats draining the battery at rest as it should be able to run the full heat cycle though at one point LR changed the heat cycle on the l322 to 17mins to get round a similar issue Rolling Eyes

A 2nd AGM battery could help that was reserved just for crank only which could resolve some of the issue.

I guess its possible that the alternator is bleeding energy when stood...

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic16227.html

That thread on the FF forum deals with other battery ideas so maybe a deep cycle battery would be a better option for the accessories and the agm for the cranking?

It ideally needs checking with a measure between the -VE post and and -VE cable with a volt/amp reading to see whats going on after the car shuts down, if it shuts down fully at all.

Have you tried putting it in access height while parked up?
The only things i can think of to check are the normal battery drain ones that kill a battery but are maybe not as sever in your case and just draining it enough to be an issue Sad
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #105385712th Feb 2013 2:11 pm
Landylad

KP... I did mention to the Workshop Manager that some owners had turned off the BMS to great effect Laughing

I use access height when parked, yes.

TBH, it should work ok with a brand new battery in it, for heavens sake. That's what the boffins at LR designed the timed climate to work under those conditions after all.

I'm adamant that LR should be able to get the system working, especially with a new AGM battery.

For what it's worth, the FBH works for 30 mins due to being a Wiggs install Wink

No one has really answered what an AGM battery should be showing (volts wise) after a full charge? Should it be 14 or higher or am I expecting too much?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #105387412th Feb 2013 2:37 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

i still supect it the way it charges ..

heres what i have found with mine after testing ( has had a new AGM battery about 6 months ago )

charge battery fully ...will last for a day ...and timed climate will work full 30 mins

i do roughly 200 miles a day ...it still does not apear to be enough to charge the battery

i have turned off the Battery monitor ...dont get the annoying warnings ...timed climate will fire every time ....but what i have have noticed sometimes is that the heater will flash orange to say its heating ...but the blowers are not actually working ( the ATCM is stopping it from working as it can see low volts )

if i plug my charger in every night ...it all works as it should .....blowers work fine.

But ...and its a big but ....i should not have to charge my own car Evil or Very Mad
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #105388212th Feb 2013 2:50 pm
Landylad

wiggs wrote:

But ...and its a big but ....i should not have to charge my own car Evil or Very Mad

Correctomondo!

Wiggs, I'm assuming yours is out of warranty now? I'm bloody minded and am determined they'll fix this problem one way or t'other.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #105389312th Feb 2013 2:59 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

no still in warranty ...i mentioned it on Friday ( switched back on the battery monitor ) when it was in for a service .

it booked in again for early next month with a small transmission whine ...so there going to look at it then
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #105390312th Feb 2013 3:17 pm
kp

United Kingdom 

TBH it shouldn't matter if its out of warranty if you reported it BEFORE the warranty expired.

I feel sorry for you guys as it sounds like your getting the beat about the bush the L322 guys got with theirs and the ultimate fix was an AGM battery and reduce the Park heat cycle to 17mins Rolling Eyes

Too much like hardwork to get to the real crux of the issue and fix it properly or maybe they did find out and just decided it was too pricey to do a customer service campaign...
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #105391112th Feb 2013 3:42 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi wiggs and did turning off the BMS increase the operating voltage while while driving?
Post #105413912th Feb 2013 9:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >