wiggs wrote:
Not that I noticed Tim ....

Censored

Thanks anyway.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #105417412th Feb 2013 8:49 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I'm a bit late into this topic but I thought it would be the best place to add my tuppence worth.

Got my D4 HSE in November 2011 and had a few problems soon after with FBH not working sometimes and giving me the "battery/fuel low" message but I wasn't using the car much so suspected the battery was low, so I did nothing about it. The car had it's first service in November 2012 and the dealer applied software patch Q210 to fix a potential problem with the Navscreen going blank after an incomplete FBH cycle, even though I'd never experienced this problem myself.
Anyway, in January 2013 the flipping Navscreen went blank after an incomplete FBH cycle so I took it into the dealer who did some more software stuff. I posted about this Here

Since then the FBH has never worked - it doesn't give me any warning messages, just simply does not start neither with the remote nor the manual setting on the Navscreen. I haven't been back to the dealer yet because I've discovered that the battery voltage is only 12.2v before I start the engine, probably because of my driving pattern which is mostly shortish journeys. Once the engine has started the voltage goes up to 15.0v which I hope means the alternator is OK.
12.2v means the battery is at best at 60% charge. So, having waded through this saga of a topic I have decided to start charging the battery overnight with my trusty CTEK 3600 to see if this will bring the battery back up to near full charge, and then retrying the FBH.
I will report back how I get on.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #105520714th Feb 2013 4:24 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

D4mation wrote:
I'm a bit late into this topic but I thought it would be the best place to add my tuppence worth.

Got my D4 HSE in November 2011 and had a few problems soon after with FBH not working sometimes and giving me the "battery/fuel low" message but I wasn't using the car much so suspected the battery was low, so I did nothing about it. The car had it's first service in November 2012 and the dealer applied software patch Q210 to fix a potential problem with the Navscreen going blank after an incomplete FBH cycle, even though I'd never experienced this problem myself.
Anyway, in January 2013 the flipping Navscreen went blank after an incomplete FBH cycle so I took it into the dealer who did some more software stuff. I posted about this Here

Since then the FBH has never worked - it doesn't give me any warning messages, just simply does not start neither with the remote nor the manual setting on the Navscreen. I haven't been back to the dealer yet because I've discovered that the battery voltage is only 12.2v before I start the engine, probably because of my driving pattern which is mostly shortish journeys. Once the engine has started the voltage goes up to 15.0v which I hope means the alternator is OK.
12.2v means the battery is at best at 60% charge. So, having waded through this saga of a topic I have decided to start charging the battery overnight with my trusty CTEK 3600 to see if this will bring the battery back up to near full charge, and then retrying the FBH.
I will report back how I get on.

The tech at my local dealer said you should expect 12.5 - 12.7 from a fully charged, healthy battery under no load.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #105610515th Feb 2013 10:27 pm
D4mation

UPDATE 16-Feb-2013

Battery is
EXIDE 90Ah 850A
AGM/VRLA/MF
BH42-10655-BA

Previously the park heating wasn't working neither on the remote nor by using Timed Climate screen and the battery was showing 12.2v. Put the battery on charge and didn't start the car for the next 48 hours.

After 24 hrs charging on 3.6A CTEK battery went up from 12.2v to 12.5v but charger indicated not yet fully charged.
Battery drops to 12.35v with ignition on
Park heater came on by using remote plipper and battery voltage remains at 12.35v
Timed Climate did NOT work, neither 7 day event nor single event.

After 48 hrs charging battery settled at 12.55v but again charger indicated not yet fully charged, so maybe not man enough for the job.
Again battery drops to 12.35v with ignition on
Tried Timed Climate first this time and again neither 7 day event nor single event would work.
However the park heater worked with the remote plipper and again voltage remains at 12.35v

Obviously got a problem with Timed Climate but by charging up the battery at least I've got the FBH working on remote. I've taken the battery off charge now and will monitor for the next few days. I'm also going to make up a charge lead for the tow socket because it's much easier than lifting the bonnet and removing the plastic battery cover.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #105640816th Feb 2013 3:35 pm
Landylad

D4mation wrote:
UPDATE 16-Feb-2013

Battery is
EXIDE 90Ah 850A
AGM/VRLA/MF
BH42-10655-BA

Previously the park heating wasn't working neither on the remote nor by using Timed Climate screen and the battery was showing 12.2v. Put the battery on charge and didn't start the car for the next 48 hours.

After 24 hrs charging on 3.6A CTEK battery went up from 12.2v to 12.5v but charger indicated not yet fully charged.
Battery drops to 12.35v with ignition on
Park heater came on by using remote plipper and battery voltage remains at 12.35v
Timed Climate did NOT work, neither 7 day event nor single event.

After 48 hrs charging battery settled at 12.55v but again charger indicated not yet fully charged, so maybe not man enough for the job.
Again battery drops to 12.35v with ignition on
Tried Timed Climate first this time and again neither 7 day event nor single event would work.
However the park heater worked with the remote plipper and again voltage remains at 12.35v

Obviously got a problem with Timed Climate but by charging up the battery at least I've got the FBH working on remote. I've taken the battery off charge now and will monitor for the next few days. I'm also going to make up a charge lead for the tow socket because it's much easier than lifting the bonnet and removing the plastic battery cover.

I've just had this exact battery fitted as a warranty replacement. I charged it up last night (approx 18hr charge) and it's now measuring 12.8v, which is pretty good by all accounts.

The proof of the pudding is of course on how the FBH would work on repeat remote activation of timed climate. As I mentioned last week, it crapped out on first attempt after battery was fitted, but I think it may have needed a decent charge.

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that LR just have a design flaw and that there's not enough residual voltage produced from the altenator to back charge that used from 20-30 mins of the FBH in the mornings.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #105661516th Feb 2013 8:56 pm
D4mation

Nipped out in the car last night which was the first time it's been driven for 3 days, after a 48hr charge on a 3.6Amp CTEK and messing about with Park Heating.
I've fitted a cheap and cheerful LED voltmeter This one to monitor battery voltage, and it's quite accurate. I noticed it was showing 12.3v which is down a bit from 12.5v when I had finished charging earlier in the day.

Anyway, after starting the engine the voltmeter remained steady at 12.3v on tickover, and even when bombing along at 40mph it didn't change. 3 days ago, before I started the battery charging, I checked that the alternator was putting out 15.0v, but it wasn't doing it last night.
Tested it again this morning, using my multimeter, and even turned on all seat and screen heaters to see if the alternator could be coaxed into putting some juice back into the battery, without luck.

Is this normal or is my alternator goosed ?

Edit: I think I'll start a new topic with this one rather than hijack Landylad's thread.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #105695417th Feb 2013 1:22 pm
Landylad

D4mation wrote:
Nipped out in the car last night which was the first time it's been driven for 3 days, after a 48hr charge on a 3.6Amp CTEK and messing about with Park Heating.
I've fitted a cheap and cheerful LED voltmeter This one to monitor battery voltage, and it's quite accurate. I noticed it was showing 12.3v which is down a bit from 12.5v when I had finished charging earlier in the day.

Anyway, after starting the engine the voltmeter remained steady at 12.3v on tickover, and even when bombing along at 40mph it didn't change. 3 days ago, before I started the battery charging, I checked that the alternator was putting out 15.0v, but it wasn't doing it last night.
Tested it again this morning, using my multimeter, and even turned on all seat and screen heaters to see if the alternator could be coaxed into putting some juice back into the battery, without luck.

Is this normal or is my alternator goosed ?

Edit: I think I'll start a new topic with this one rather than hijack Landylad's thread.

You're all right - it's about the same topic so no need. Better in one place if you ask me.

From experience, with this new AGM battery, I've found there's fluctuations in the voltage when driving. Before, with the flooded battery, it was almost always 14.7v, but now, especially after a charge, this one shows 12.2v when driving, which is weird to say the least.

To be honest, I wouldn't put much onus on the ciggy lighter meter. The important thing is, what's the multimeter saying when the car is at rest. If it's anywhere between 12.5-12.8v with everything booted down, then I think the battery is ok. Your FBH should most definitely kick into life and give at very least, two or three 20 min cycles before the battery start to protest (in my experience at least).

Again, to try and draw some form of conclusion from my umpteen trips into the garage about this, together with countless stories on here, I think the problem lies in the design. It's just not up to working within a window of 1.0 - 1.5 of draw voltage from the battery when the FBH is on and the car not running. The alternator isn't up to back charging it and a proper charge is required. Big Cry
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #105720117th Feb 2013 8:07 pm
D4mation

Cheers Landylad Thumbs Up

There was an interesting comment from def90v8 at the bottom of page 3 of this thread:

Land rover smart charge systems like d 4 even new full fat rr only look at battary condition after 10min of driving then will change charge rate and volts to optimise battary ability to recharge

In trying to deliver best fuel consumption could LR have sailed a bit close to the wind when designing the alternator on/off cycle. What's more is this mechanism part of the Battery Monitoring System.

I'll continue to use my truck, and FBH, and see at what battery voltage the alternator decides to kick in.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #105722217th Feb 2013 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >