Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Batteries - Sucking the life out of mine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Batteries - Sucking the life out of mine

I believe this is a common problem when running anything more than Radio 1 and dipped headlights.

After a few occasions of running the remote FBH in the mornings, my battery is now so low that it shuts down the FBH before it's had it's full 30 min run.
I went out and bought a fancy charger from local autoparts store - voltage down about 12.8 so will hopefully have a better battery come morning.

But anyone upgraded their standard OEM battery for something beefier? I asked the boy in the parts store today and he said something about AGM batteries being much better. What is the OEM fitted to the D4 and is it worth chucking big bucks at a unit that will take the pounding of a Scottish winter and regular early morning blasts of my FBH whilst I'm still tucked up in bed?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #100875324th Nov 2012 11:21 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Landylad and usually, the problem is not the size of the battery but the amount of driving you do every time you start your motor.

How often do you drive your D4 and when you do drive, how long is your average drive?
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #100876724th Nov 2012 11:42 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

CTEK charger via tow socket or a fitting straight onto battery
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #100877024th Nov 2012 11:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landylad

Drivesafe - on average - about 30 mins of journey time. I've only had it a couple of weeks, and it could well have been sitting on forecourt of dealer and not done much miles in a 2/3 week period. That said, I drove it 450 miles back to Aberdeenshire Rolling Eyes

Most occasions I have been driving either morning or evening, in hours of darkness, with a few odds and sods drawing power (ie, heated seats). Used it a few occasions after I bought it, and most mornings ran FBH for 30 mins, then 20 min drive to work.

Russell - can you expand? I hook this thing up to tow bar electrics? Is this an additional battery? Confused.com Crying or Very sad
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #100877524th Nov 2012 11:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

No CTEK is a battery charger, there are many out there but these seem to have a good reputation
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #100877825th Nov 2012 12:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landylad

Just bought a charger for £65 today - was more so looking for ideas on beefed up battery.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #100878725th Nov 2012 12:37 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again Landylad and you are your low battery problem.

You are not driving long enough to allow the alternator time to replace the amount of battery energy you are using.

Either set your battery charger up and use it when ever it is convenient, or if your D4 is parked outside, you could try fitting a small solar panel.
Post #100879725th Nov 2012 1:33 am
Landylad

drivesafe wrote:
Hi again Landylad and you are your low battery problem.

You are not driving long enough to allow the alternator time to replace the amount of battery energy you are using.

Either set your battery charger up and use it when ever it is convenient, or if your D4 is parked outside, you could try fitting a small solar panel.

Solar panel..... Laughing North East of Scotland... we don't get any sun!! Very Happy

But anyways, going back to my initial question, is the standard battery that comes out of the factory the best money can buy or is the AGM alternative a vast improvement?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #100879925th Nov 2012 1:48 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Landylad, and again, your battery is not the problem and I would NOT suggest a different battery or even adding another battery to try to solve your problem.

You are just not driving long enough and your situation is commonplace these days.

In your case, there is only one remedy, regularly top off your battery with a battery charger.

BTW if you do not keep your battery in a better charged state, it will have a very short life span.
Post #100880025th Nov 2012 1:59 am
Landylad

Same driving style as with my old XC90 - no probs there. I guess the Disco is just a leccy thirsty brute of a car!
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #100880125th Nov 2012 2:06 am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Landylad, there have been quite a few people had problems with this and Land Rover know about it, they have a 'fix for it which I think updates the software on the battery monitoring system (BMS) I didn't have the probelm when I had my 2011MY D4 but I did have this saved in a word document

Reference SSM54517
Models New Range Rover
Discovery 4
Range Rover Sport

Title Fuel Fired Burning heater/ Battery Monitoring System 11/12MY
Category Electrical
Last modified 21-Dec-2011 00:00:00
Symptom 205000 Electrical Accessories
Content Issue: A customer may report that the Fuel Fired Burning Heater (FFBH) appears to operate for a shorter than expected cycle time (approximately 5 to 10 minutes) before the FFBH is switched off.

Cause: The concern may be as a result of the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) strategy for battery condition/ load detection.

Action: A new level BMS has recently been introduced at Manufacturing for the following model lines:

Range Rover VIN CA371169 onwards
Range Rover Sport LHD VIN CA731475 onwards
Range Rover Sport RHD VIN CA731269 onwards
Discovery 4/ LR4 LHD VIN CA608658 onwards
Discovery 4/ LR4 RHD VIN CA608504 onwards

Check the operation of the Fuel Fired Burning Heater using Symptom Driven Diagnostics (SDD). If the FFBH appears to be functioning correctly during SDD interrogation, it is likely that the BMS strategy is the cause of the concern and the BMS will require replacement.
If the FFBH does not appear to operate correctly during SDD interrogation, continue with diagnosis of the FFBH as guided by SDD.

Land Rover are currently in the process of obtaining new components for stock at Caterpillar with an anticipated date of arrival of 22nd December 2011.

The new part numbers are:
Range Rover - LR037872
Range Rover Sport/ Discovery 4/ LR4 Left Hand Drive - LR037867
Range Rover Sport/ Discovery 4/ LR4 Right Hand Drive - LR037862

Note: The BMS LIN connection (flylead) should not be disconnected as this will cause a red warning to appear on the Instrument Pack and the system will enter a default charging strategy.

Also if you have a read of THIS POST in particular the posts by Wiggs it explains what the problem is.

There is another post on the subject HERE So I would suggest you get it booked into the dealers Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #100882025th Nov 2012 8:55 am
Landylad

Cheers for that info guys. The beast is in to the local stealer end of the week for electrics for tow bar, so will inquire about this then.

Another question regarding charging up my battery last night....

I connected the charger - started off about 12.7v, gently climbing to 13v before I went to bed. Came down in the morning and it was still sitting at 12.9v. Changed the amps down from 4 back to 8 and within 5 mins it said fully charged. Unplugged mains power and then did voltage check from unit and it said 10v!! No idea what is going on.

Not sure what the instructions was on about but it said connect positive, but connect negative to an earth, not connected to the battery. Could I have been connecting this thing up wrong? I thought chargers were quite simple - clip on to +ve and -ve terminals and switch the damn thing on.

What sort of peak voltage should I be expecting when fully charged?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #100911025th Nov 2012 9:18 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If I am reading this correctly, you say are only getting 10v out of a recently charged battery, 1 cell must be knackered surely, (should be more like 12.6 to 12.8v.This would account for the problems you are having. Idea

Last edited by DN on 25th Nov 2012 10:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #100912825th Nov 2012 9:32 pm
Landylad

Must have been a bum reading.... I connected now and it said 12.7 although I did drive about 80 miles today.

Hooked up the charger again, this time I put the -ve to a ground. Went from 12.7 up tio 14.2 quite quickly.... I'll leave that charging a couple of hours and see what it says.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #100915425th Nov 2012 10:01 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Landylad and as DN posted, if your battery terminal voltage is 10v, then you have most likely dropped a cell in the battery, but none of your voltage readings make sense.

Have tried starting your motor?

As for connecting the neg away from the battery, this is for safety reasons and it applies to every vehicle and also how you should connect jumper leads.

Positive first, to the positive terminal on the battery and negative last, to a good earth somewhere away from the battery.

When removing the leads, including the lead on a battery if you are going to remove the battery from the vehicle, always disconnect the negative first.
Post #100915525th Nov 2012 10:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >