Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Battery Drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kiwidisco

New Zealand 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Battery Drain

Hi guys. Hopefully someone can advise with my problem. I've not been able to pick up a similar issue on the forum so here goes.

Car - 2008 Disco3 "S" 4.0 ltr V6 petrol.

On numerous occasions my battery loses power. At first I'd taken the car to have the battery checked by three different workshops (AA & the LR dealer when I lived near one) and all confirm the battery is fine - no issues. But the problem hasn't gone away & seems to be getting worse.

I've now taken it to an auto electrician in town (by the way I've since moved & the nearest Land Rover dealer is a 4 hour drive away) & they found that whilst the car is locked & parked there is a 6 amp draw on the battery.

The next time I had the battery run down, I took it back & they pulled the fuses one by one & found the stereo was drawing excessive power - even after 10 minutes after turning it off. They apparently googled the problem & found this to be a common fault with the Disco & the solution (they believe) is to replace the stereo?

This car is a Japanese import & when I tried the satnav with a New Zealand map at the Land Rover dealer in Auckland 4 years ago, they advised that the satnav & stereo were Japanese specific & could not be replaced with the New Zealand configuration so to change/repair the stereo is a now major issue. (The stereo is fitted with a band expander to work in NZ).

I have now had the stereo (& a/c in case this adds to the drain) off for the last two weeks & still have the battery drain down.

Terribly confused. Now have to park suitably to enable jump starting.

Post #193680916th Apr 2018 4:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Do you have a cubby box fridge?- they draw a lot of current if left on whilst parked Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #193684616th Apr 2018 9:01 am
Kiwidisco

New Zealand 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nope. This is the base line disco.

Post #193686416th Apr 2018 10:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EZy1965

Netherlands 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

http://www.disco4.com/forum/robbies-guide-...rain+guide

Post #193689516th Apr 2018 11:55 am
Kiwidisco

Thanks for the link but I'm neither this technical nor have the suggested testing equipment.

Looks as if a trip to the LR dealer in Hamilton is the only way to fix the issue. They no doubt will need to keep the car for a day or two (or more) so this means a 4 hour drive in two cars there & 4 hours back. Then when it's fixed & ready, another 8 hour round trip. Not to mention the clearing out of my bank account to pay for all this.

Post #193717717th Apr 2018 5:54 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

wow … that sounds insane.

can't you get hold of the gear to follow Robbie's guide ? it would save you a fortune and time AND you'd have learned a bit too !

I'm sure folks on here will "talk" you through any bits you don't think you can follow.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #193721217th Apr 2018 8:44 am
Kiwidisco

Sorry mate but I have an issue understanding half of what has been said. Gt lost on point 3 !

For the record I am over 70 & am not too confident in this stuff.

From what the local auto sparky told me about the fault being with the stereo, I have removed the fuses to the stereo - namely fuse #42, 43, 53 & 58 hoping one of them will just shut the stereo down but having done that, the stereo still is on just no sound. In addition, although the fuses do not indicate they control the central locking I am now unable to lock the car with the remote!

Rain has stopped me going further but in the morning I'll replace the fuses to get back to where I started.

Post #193722717th Apr 2018 9:17 am
Kiwidisco

Update - pulled fuse #58 & no more battery drain - YAY.

This fuse is for the telephone which is not an option on my car, infotainment display, multi media module & TV tuner - all of which I do not use. Only issue is it still seems to connect to the stereo as the display works but no sound comes through - including the CD's. The screen on the dash is now dead.

Having identified this at least should point the dealer in the right direction to resolving the fault & hopefully save me a couple hours labour in the process.

Now I just need to find the time for the 8 hour round trip to Hamilton. Will need to leave at 3.30 am to be there at 7.30 in case they need the car for more than a couple of hours. Hopefully this can all be done same day or I'll need to book into a motel.

Post #19419633rd May 2018 8:18 am
Hardware

Crikey … I travel for less time going on holidays !

Good luck with this.

Post #19419693rd May 2018 8:28 am
poprivit

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I had an issue and mine was related to the ECU's not sleeping. The Radio also showed a drain, but it was the infotainment display not the radio (i think thats what you have identified) i removed the fuse links near the battery, i posted on here with the exact ones. Not sure this will help but it fixed mine and i have not had the issue since.
 2008 TDV6 HSE
1986 90 CSW V8
1983 Series 3 

Post #194893629th May 2018 1:29 pm
Kiwidisco

Great. Thanks. I'll have a look for the posting & check. Been too busy with the house renovation to worry about the car. Have not used the car much lately but need to get this sorted before it's WOF in July.

Post #194902329th May 2018 8:35 pm
Hardware

think this is the poprivet link … http://disco4.com/forum/post1909631.html#1909631

Post #194913530th May 2018 1:13 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

great reading

i’ve not got a satnav as mines the base model, got to try and find a battery drain

have the T max dual battery system but when the main battery goes flat , i press the manual link and doesn’t make a blind bit of difference , aux leisure battery is fully charged

when the main battery if fully charged it works fine, relay clicks on and off

but still got a battery drain, will flatten the main one within 7 x days if left standing

main battery is an exide EA1000 , tested all the fuses in the engine bay with the bonnet switch linked out but to no avail

so think my next port of call is to pull the plastic covers off all the larger fuses and put a multimeter on them

wondering if there’s an ecu not switching off

am getting 0.40 m/amp drain instead of under 22m/amp , also wondering as mines the base model if there’s fuses that i may not need or maybe a more common feedback where others have had issues with a particular ecu drain error

Post #194917830th May 2018 3:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >