Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Battery flat and now bonnet will not release!!! Any help???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Smith Fitchett

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Battery flat and now bonnet will not release!!! Any help???

Hello all, I haven't posted before, but have found this site an absolute godsend with my previous 08 Plate Disco. Unfortunately, I had a crank failure at 198k as I was towing, but that' another story. Anyway, I have recently purchased another 08 Plate SE from an auction (yes, I know!). Drove 110 miles back from the auction with no problem at all and then three days later she started throwing all manner of codes, but always started with HDC. I popped the bonnet and recharged the battery, which was showing 20% charge and did a hard reset from reading other posts. All brilliant after that, with no issues at all for the first couple of days, but then HDC, etc. so felt a new battery was in order and keeping fingers crossed that it's not some sort of short/electical drain. Anyway, went to start her up to take her to the garage today and found her totally dead, no juice to even open the doors or power the interior lights. Censored . "Oh well, I'll just pop the bonnet and charge her again", I thought. Pulled the lever and the passenger side latch has released, but not the driver's side (RHD). With a friend, did the usual banging on the bonnet while pulling the lever for about half an hour, but nothing and the lever doesn't feel like it's doing anything after the initial pull. I can reclose the bonnet and re-pull the passenger side latch no problem, but the driver's side just won't budge. I've also noticed that someone's had a go before at the screw holding the lever on and there's a bit of lateral movement in it as well. Anyway, I now have a dead Disco 3 sideways in front of my house, which I can't manoeuvre out of the drive with a tow even if I wanted! So...from previous threads I know it's a security issue and you can't generally post how to get the damn thing open, but if anyone can help with regards to the driver's side latch, which I believe uses a separate bowden cable from some sort of junction box, or indeed how I might be able to get some charge into it to allow me to get it to the garage, that would be GREAT!!! Thanks all in advance.

Post #235726130th Dec 2023 10:05 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

PM'd you.

Excuse any formatting issues, re-sending PMs is a pita on my phone.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #235726230th Dec 2023 10:21 pm
Smith Fitchett

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Many thanks for that super quick response. Read and I think understood! Tried to PM you back, but I haven't posted enough yet! Will try and report back.
All the best!

Post #235726530th Dec 2023 10:40 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi Smile)

Since originally posting I've edited this text, will send to Smith Fitchett as a P.M. - can see now I may have failed to comply with (wise) forum rules.

Cheers, Kevin (D4 MY2010)

Last edited by KPTV8 on 31st Dec 2023 5:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #235730231st Dec 2023 11:32 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Smith Fitchett wrote:
So...from previous threads I know it's a security issue and you can't generally post how to get the damn thing open, but...

Hmmm ... looks like part of the voodoo is now public?

I'll let a mod decide if this thread needs, er, moderating.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #235733031st Dec 2023 4:18 pm
Danley

In relation to charging... You can charge via the towing socket... If you have one / the correct charger / adapter etc.

Doesn't help with the bonnet issue... But might make it drivable?

Post #23573791st Jan 2024 3:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >