DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Battery Low Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SHARKYSHARKS

England 
Battery Low Warning

To many short journeys,
webasto preheat on, heated seats on, demisters on, front and rear heated screens on, headlamps on, radio on, phone activation on, and with a new battery replaced by L/R. My D4 can't replace power consumption in the short journey's we have been doing lately, so ive resorted for the winter trickle charge overnight via 12s tow socket,
works a treat... just keeps the battery topped up.
Reccomended for the short journeys we'll be making over the chrimbo break. Thumbs Up
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #73357418th Dec 2010 5:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrH

United Kingdom 

Yup, been doing exact same. Threaten to do it last year, even bought the 12S plug, but never got around to ptting it all together until this week.

Works an absolute treat Thumbs Up

For those of you who what to know how - Click here for pin out and details

Post #73357718th Dec 2010 6:03 pm
Supercharged

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

So what do you you use to transform mains voltage to the 12S plug?

I have a 12S plug already from my camper van, but that goes into a control box/transformer inside the vehicle. distributing power to the batteries. The Disco does not have such a thing so surely you need to transform before the 12S plug in this case?

Or am I just not "getting it"?
 Paul

D4 HSE Zermatt Silver / Ebony 

Post #73361918th Dec 2010 7:03 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Okay, I know this is a D4 thread but I assume my D3 will be the same; are we talking about shoving 12v from a battery charger into the car via the 12S socket's permanently live pin and therefore presumably this goes to the battery then this effectively charges the battery without having to open the bonnet and put croc clips on?

I though that LR recommended the cables are disconnected from the battery when charging, so that the charger is connected only to the battery, and not also to the car in any way?

Last edited by NickJ on 18th Dec 2010 7:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #73363618th Dec 2010 7:22 pm
Phil1644

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Supercharged wrote:
So what do you you use to transform mains voltage to the 12S plug?

A few people are using one of the caravan type plugs on their battery chargers 12V output to trickle charge their car, I am about to do the same.

Definately dont connect the mains to your car Shocked

I have just ordered the RING RSC500 trickle charger that has "soft start" and a max output of 0.8A and can be connected to the car without disconnecting the battery.

Post #73363718th Dec 2010 7:22 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

NickJ wrote:

Snip

I though that LR recommended the cables are disconnected from the battery when charging, so that the charger is connected only to the battery, and not also to the car in any way?

I would assume their reasoning for that statement is because they're playing safe. Since there are loads of different kinds of charger out there, they would always advise for a worst-case condition. If you were to use a high power "booster" or Fast charger, the battery terminal voltage can rise to a much higher voltage than would be experienced in normal operation, eg. being charged from the alternator, resulting in frying the cars electronics.

With a low current trickle charger or a properly regulated and controlled "conditioning" charger like one of the Ctek ones, there should be no possibility of an excessively high charge current damaging the cars electronic systems due to over-voltage, simply because the charger is incapable of generating enough current for that to occur, therefore removing the need to disconnect the battery.

I've used a Ctek "clone" (same spec as the MXS3600, but a lot cheaper from Lidl) on my D3 and numerous times on previous Td5 Defenders without disconnecting the battery and never had a problem.
 Clive

Post #73365518th Dec 2010 7:56 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

The way i do it is to:
1. Make up a 12s lead using pin 4 battery + voltage and pin 3 Battery - voltage, and attach battery clamps on the other end of the lead.(ensuring correct polarity)
2. Plug lead into vehicle 12 s socket and attach other end of cable to a spare slave battery.
3. Plug battery charger onto spare battery on a trickle setting, which means the mains charger is not directly plugged into your D3 or D4 but is still getting topped up via the slave battery.

SIMPLES Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

You can make the lead as long as you like i plug in run the lead under my garage door and switch on, Ensures Battery is always in full charge..
PS. Remember to unplug in the morning could be embarassing dragging battery and charger to work Shocked
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey

Post #73367018th Dec 2010 8:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I plug my D3 in to a CTEK 7000 via the 12S throughout the winter period and it works a treat.

I also loop a red ribbon over the steering wheel to remind me not to drive off in the morning with the house still attached.

Post #73468020th Dec 2010 7:32 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

Red Ribbon good idea Thumbs Up
But do not think it would work for me as i do worry when the wife is taking it, she might think, ''Oh how considerate he even gives me ribbons in the morning'', and still take the garage door, charger and extension leads with her Shocked
So if i know swmbo is taking it, i always disconnect before i go to work, as my wife would step over the cable to get in the car, and then drive off, just can not take the risk !!!
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey

Post #73471520th Dec 2010 8:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >