Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Battery Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Battery Problems

When I was talking to the dealer last week about my amp problems, I mentioned that when the engine is not running, I was getting a low battery symbol on the display of the stereo, when I turned it up high. He asked if I had any starting problems etc, as he said the batteries on Discos were crap, and he had changed a few.

I was very surprised that he owned up to this. Shocked

He said that lots of warning messages come up, and strange things start going wrong.

Has anyone had a battery changed?
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #14679510th Apr 2007 7:51 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Had my battery changed a few months ago because I was getting lots of warning messages - usually at start up. Twice the battery was just recharged, then a week later battery died and LRA were called. This time my dealer changed the battery - no problems since (hope I don't regret saying that last bit)
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #14679610th Apr 2007 7:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Battery Problems

chesters wrote:
I was getting a low battery symbol on the display of the stereo, when I turned it up high.
It's Low Power Mode, it's supposed to do it when the engine is off to conserve the battery, another dealer that doesn't know what he's talking about by the sounds of it.
There's not many owners that have had battery issues AFAIK
 The End  
Post #14680110th Apr 2007 8:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I get Transmission Error, and HDC unavailable, Special programs off most mornings. Its definitly the battery thats weak, and it is cranking slower than it used to. I had the dealer bench charge the battery last time it was in, it was ok for about a week.

Mine is 3 years old in November, and is coming up for 75k service soon, so will try and get a new battery before the warranty expires, its just a case of timing it right before it dies and leaves me stranded Wink

BTW, mine is definitly not a short journey only vehicle, it does about 750 miles per week usually.

Post #14680210th Apr 2007 8:19 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Gareth, those were the messages I was getting, each time the dealer charged the battery the messages returned a week later. But a week after the 2nd charge, the messages returned and an hour later the battery died altogether.

Post #14680510th Apr 2007 8:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yer, low power mode is 'by design', TBH the dealer should have his nuts chewed by LR for completely failing to understand the technology and requirements of lead-calcium batteries and the vehicle strategies for preventing discharge. Sounds like he's cost them dear in needless warranty replacements Rolling Eyes - Gareth, the later batteries have removable cell tops for checking the electrolyte, if two bench charges have not got it back up to spec. (and presumably the dealer tested the battery after bench charging Wink ) then the battery will require replacing

Post #14680610th Apr 2007 8:26 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

My replacement battery was the old version Evil or Very Mad

Post #14681110th Apr 2007 8:29 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The battery only changed with the 07MY Wink

Post #14681310th Apr 2007 8:35 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Cheers TFC, its on the list for attention Wink the 75k service hit list is growing!

Post #14681410th Apr 2007 8:35 pm
chesters

Re: Battery Problems

Slimer wrote:
It's Low Power Mode, it's supposed to do it when the engine is off to conserve the battery, another dealer that doesn't know what he's talking about by the sounds of it.

I thought thats what it was, I was giving him as much information as I could, to sort out my no sound problem. But he seemed surprised, and had never heard of this before.

It's a bit of a worry.

Next winter, when it's coming up to 2 years old, I'm going to give the battery some stick and see if it fails. Then I'll remind the dealer what he said about discovery batteries and take it from there.
The Dealer wrote:
The batteries on Disco's are crap.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #14687210th Apr 2007 10:10 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi chesters and woody179, I haven’t come across your problem in my D3 yet so I don’t know what to expect but, and this may have nothing to do with your problem but some brands of sound systems have a low voltage shutdown mode that is actually totally independent of the vehicle’s electronics.

Whether this is the case in your case I don’t know but it may pay you to look into just how much integration there is between the sound system and the rest of the vehicle.

This does not negate the problem of the low battery but may explain the fault messages because from what all of you have posted, correct me here if I’m wrong, but you are not actually suffering from the problems being displayed other than the low battery.

I’m very interested in hearing how you all get on as it sounds like there may be more of an over active error message display than actual problems and this may be down more to the brand of sound system than anything else.

Can you list which specific system you have in each of your D3’s.

Another curious point is that although winter is seasonally the most likely time for battery faults, the D3’s unique charging system should help off set this usual problem, but from what you are all saying, maybe not or as the dealer stated, maybe they are crap batteries, although, so far this does not seem to be a common problem.

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #14713611th Apr 2007 1:47 pm
chesters

drivesafe wrote:
I’m very interested in hearing how you all get on as it sounds like there may be more of an over active error message display than actual problems and this may be down more to the brand of sound system than anything else.

Can you list which specific system you have in each of your D3’s.

How do I find out what make head-unit my stereo is? I know it's a 6 disc in-dash, but do you know how to find out the make and model?

drivesafe, My sound system has not worked for over a week now, but the dealer is supposed to be putting in a new amp on Friday.

Last edited by chesters on 11th Apr 2007 2:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14715111th Apr 2007 2:14 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Hi Drivesafe,

I have had the low voltage warning on the sound system but only when the engine was switched off, which I know is correct as you are warned about this message in the manual. I think the low voltage message basically means that the sub-woofer is not turned on unless the engine is switched on?

My low battery problems caused other messages ' Special Programs off', 'HDC disabled' 'Transmission fault' and other messages that came up on the message panel in front of the steering wheel.

Post #14715211th Apr 2007 2:14 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

drivesafe wrote:
...as it sounds like there may be more of an over active error message display than actual problems
It's not an error message, it's just information, it's telling you it's running in lower power mode to conserve the battery as the engine's not running. This is by design and totally different to the messages that may be displayed in the message centre display if there is a battery problem such as Woody was seeing

Chesters, IHU is made by Alpine ISTR, model is specific to LR
 The End  
Post #14716311th Apr 2007 3:10 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi chester and woody179, please note, my suggestions were based on guesswork not any factual info and is the reason for my question about the brand and or model of sound system to see if there is a link to one specific sound system.

As I posted, the low voltage shutdown is now common place on many sound systems.

BTW, you should be able to get some idea of the specific brand and model of sound system installed in your particular vehicles from your owner’s manual.

Cheers.

PS, woody, love the little show at the bottom of your posts, funny, not nice, but still funny. I don’t know if you get these over there but I often see LRs with stickers on the back of them reading “ Toyota recovery vehicle “ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #14716411th Apr 2007 3:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >