Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Battery Voltage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yep! used to get dreadful fungal growth on me right foot until the enhancement evened it out a bit Wink

Post #11332126th Dec 2006 11:47 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

really ? how much ?

I was told by some Gaydon chap (GU) that it would make little difference as the system was designed to be on all the time to avoid the large glass area in the vehicle from misting up.

The Econ button was there to turn off the AC completely but is not really needed as the AC only kicks in at a certain humidity levels.

Maybe this time of year it does draw more as its damp air being drawn into the system.

Post #11332226th Dec 2006 11:48 pm
SN

Bow down
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #11332326th Dec 2006 11:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoStu

England 

Gareth wrote:
Yep! used to get dreadful fungal growth on me right foot until the enhancement evened it out a bit Wink

Laughing So now you get it on both feet?
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #11332626th Dec 2006 11:51 pm
catweasel

now I'm Confused
I asked if there was any way just to vent air in from the outside without using the aircon and was told that the compressor is running wether you are using it or not. so I geuss it has a magnetic coupling then if the econ button turns it off

Post #11334327th Dec 2006 6:51 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thats right. If I hold the revs at 1600, then hit the econ there is a definite reduction in noise. This I imagine is the compressor clutch disengaging.

My system is making an annoying whirring noise when the revs are below 2000. My dealer says its normal, but I disagree and am planning on a return visit soon.

Post #11337527th Dec 2006 11:02 am
catweasel

cheers, will try that when I next get use of it. would be nice to be able to just vent air without the aircon though as you can have cool days but the sun heats up the inside and I do like the windows shut ( peace and quiet)

Post #11338427th Dec 2006 11:17 am
Jamo

Australia 

Getting back to Batteries..

Today I had to use the portable battery pack to help start the car as the battery didn't quite have enough oomph. This is after driving 550km yesterday.

Note that the trip meters had reset back to zero as well.

I then drove no more than 2km. When I went to start the car it started fine.
I took a reading and the resting voltage was 11.4V and 12.2V when the engine was on and idling.

All connections seem fine and tight. But, the little window on the battery is black indicating that the battery may be on it's way out.

Do you guys think it;s the battery or do you think it's something else??
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #11394129th Dec 2006 7:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Jamo wrote:

I then drove no more than 2km. When I went to start the car it started fine.
I took a reading and the resting voltage was 11.4V and 12.2V when the engine was on and idling.

All connections seem fine and tight. But, the little window on the battery is black indicating that the battery may be on it's way out.

Do you guys think it;s the battery or do you think it's something else??

Well, if you are idling, you should be getting the 14-15 vdc charge voltage TFC mentioned earlier. Could be the voltage regulator I suppose... but I am not an expert.

Post #11402729th Dec 2006 4:50 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Ecosse, can you get the D3 started, if so, check the idle voltage.

If you are experiencing -5c temperatures, then your idle voltage should be up in the low 15v area, if not the problem might not be the battery but is that the battery is not being charged in the first place.

Jamo, depending on how hot it is, the lowest your vehicle voltage should be at idle is 13.5, NOT 12 volts.

I regularly get readings of 13.5 on hot days and the battery is still able to be fully charged at that voltage as the D3’s voltage regulation is not only temperature dependent but optimised to give the best charge results for the batteries being used in the D3.

That voltage level of 12v is an indication that there is a problem with the vehicle’s charging system.

Before you do anything, try checking all the connections and see if they are sound.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #11411329th Dec 2006 11:34 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Just an additional note.

The Calcium batteries in the D3s and RRSs are good batteries for what they are designed for and work well in most climates providing they are both charged properly and, more importantly, not allowed to get bellow 75% SoC too often and the further they are taken bellow 75% SoC, the more likely hood their operating life will be impaired.

So no matter what the cause, try to get the battery charged as soon as possible.

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #11411929th Dec 2006 11:53 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Today I checked before doing anything else and the readings are back up at 12.5V engine off and 14.5V when idling.

For the past year I've had the occasional brief 'Transmission Fault' at start up, which I was told ages ago is a sign of low charge. Interestingly enough, i've never had a a 'Low Battery' warning, even when the battery wouldn't turn the engine over.

I'm due for the 72000Km service in about 3-4 weeks so I'll have the techs check to entire charging/battery system.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #11431931st Dec 2006 6:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >