Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

HOW TO BECOME HGV DRIVER
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Washwipe

England 

leeds wrote:
When a HGV comes to us we always offer driver use of toilet/cup of tea.

The regular courier drivers know where our toilets are are and where the kettle is.

A bit of common courtesy pays off. If need be our drivers will wait for a few minutes or return later.

Brendan

Your becoming the minority Brendan, more and more companies since COVID have said they’ve closed the toilets to drivers, even though it is a legal requirement, a few are putting plastic builders toilets in the car park, I do wonder what they think the risk is with drivers, it’s a bit of a lonely life for some, might only be in contact with a couple of people all day.

Post #225370726th Sep 2021 8:31 pm
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

lynalldiscovery wrote:
The problem with being a hgv driver in the UK is, literally everybody hates you from the car drivers to the warehouse people who load/iunload you.
No respect for the job from anybody, even from the transport office
No facilities/treated like dirt, crap trucks to drive
Poor pay and conditions, way way to many hours

I have had my class 1 licence for nearly three decades, and not once have I thought I would go driving for a living.

About 23 or so years ago I was doing agency driving and got sent to the local Co op distribution centre as relief driver. I had to sit in a side office, wasn't allowed to use their toilets they said I couldn't use the canteen to get a drink, I should have brought my own the transport manager said.
6 hours in same guy said he had my first run for me todo as 1 of his guys had called in sick.

Not me I said, I'm going home iv been here 6 hours with nothing to drink and I had to Censored in a Bush outside the yard. You know you won't get paid don't you said he, shove your job up your Censored said me.

The place closed down a year later.....I wonder why.

Post #225371726th Sep 2021 9:18 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I had a four hour wait for my broken-down RRS to be recovered a couple of months ago. It was an HGV driver who stopped, said he'd seen I'd been there ages and asked if would I like one of his sandwiches and a cup of tea. Thumbs Up

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #225374427th Sep 2021 8:05 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

The son of the company boss who has the space next to me at my yard took his HGV test and proudly took his truck out for the first time a couple of weeks ago, to be the next, and fourth generation of his family in transport.

After just two weeks he said it wasn't for him, he said he had never been treated as bad during that time. He was sworn at for asking simple questions, expected to know what different company procedures were even though he had never visited the sites before, told to sit in his cab and wait for hours for no apparent reason, and whilst on an enforced night out because of the wait, had the curtains on his truck slashed.

Why would anyone choose a job that treats you like this.

After 40 years in the business, I am so glad I steered my son away from following me. He always said all I do each day is sit on my Censored and listen to the radio, only now when he hears from others how it is, does he thank me for doing so.

Deep down he knew the average 15hr days that are the norm, the amount of sites I was banned from for not playing to their tune (own company so not a problem for me) and Censored I had to take on a regular basis, was in fact all true.

It's been said before, but lynalldiscovery has it spot on, they are the reasons, plus bosses who undercut competitors for work and can only survive by paying lousy wages. Watch them all go bust as their business models are based on margins that are not sustainable, NFT a current classic case.

With the likes of the biggest failure in transport, Stobbart thinking a 3% profit margin is acceptable, so putting smaller established companies out of business, is it a wonder they have been bailed out more times than any other transport company in the UK, and now is just a brand, a name on yet another company that is doomed to failure.

Until this country allows the building of large truckstops that are safe, have decent facilities, open 24/7, accessible from all trunk routes, and are reasonably priced, there will not be an influx of new blood into the industry, and that's without the matter of decent wages.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #225375627th Sep 2021 8:44 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

HGV drivers currently have huge leverage. A strike now for better working conditions and treatment might well get the proper attention and hopefully lead to change.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #225376227th Sep 2021 9:04 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Most companies are already paying up without the need for action...paying more isn't necessarily attracting more drivers back into the trade though.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #225376427th Sep 2021 9:07 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Trailered Movements wrote:

Until this country allows the building of large truckstops that are safe, have decent facilities, open 24/7, accessible from all trunk routes, and are reasonably priced, there will not be an influx of new blood into the industry, and that's without the matter of decent wages.

Dave

I'm sure having decent facilities/conditions would be enough for many, even without higher wages. The UK has pretty rubbish facilities for all drivers, not just truckers. Away from the motorways, there is precious little in the way of toilets, good rest areas, etc.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #225376627th Sep 2021 9:12 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Moo, I totally agree with you on this one.

I am a firmly against strikes normally, and realise the devastating effect on normal life a strike would cause, but, if that is what it takes, then so be it.

The majority of people cannot get their heads around the fact that 99% of everything, has to travel by trucks at some point, and until they do, their opposition to trucks, parking etc., etc., will continue.

There would be a significant reduction in trucks on the roads if 'our' want it next day mentality was knocked on the head.

The reduction on pollution for one would be massive.

Remember the early days of the lockdown, how fresher was the air, some say it even helped the weather, as those days were also brighter, but that's out of my knowledge sphere.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #225376827th Sep 2021 9:15 am
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Trailered Movements wrote:

Dave

Have seen the large truck stops in Germany on the major cross Europe motorway system. IIRC from 2019 Germany was planning on providing more truck stops for 10,000 HGV's. Germany also bans HGVs for non essential goods on certain hours over the weekends

More good quality and SAFE truck stops in the UK are certainly needed, not sure about them being large ones like those on German motorways however due to geographical size of UK. However decent facilities close to major routes into the larger conurbations are required in the UK.

Also people should treat truckers with respect be it at their collection/delivery points or on the road. A car driver playing chicken with a 40 tonne HGV is stupid. Does it matter if you tuck in behind a HGV doing 56mph on motorway 0.5 mile from your exit rather then be determined to get in front and pull across the front of a HGV at the last moment

Brendan

Post #225377427th Sep 2021 9:43 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
Most companies are already paying up without the need for action...paying more isn't necessarily attracting more drivers back into the trade though.

I didn't say pay more, its about working conditions, facilities and respect etc.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #225377827th Sep 2021 10:00 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I've seen some recent settlements with pay increases of over 30% with better t's &c's ...facilities is a difficult one in terms of the standards of national facilities but many businesses forget that they have a duty to provide delivery \ collection drivers with access to toilets and hold \ cold water.

Respect ...I suspect that will grow as recent difficulties shine a spotlight, but who knows?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #225380227th Sep 2021 1:36 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Was it in a Linda Smith comedy that she got admitted to the HGV driver's room on a cross-channel ferry and found it carpeted with thick carpet, chandeliers in the ceiling and lobster and caviar on the menu?

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #225380927th Sep 2021 2:08 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Click image to enlarge
Post #225386827th Sep 2021 5:22 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I am neither one way or the other on this, but I am uncomfortable with importing labour to do what may be considered menial work and/or simply using cheap EU labour to cover gaps in our workforce.

That’s not because I am against them getting these jobs, temporary or permanent, it’s just in my opinion your creating a sub culture who won’t or aren’t allowed to integrate and see themselves as expendable, second class.

Post #225387327th Sep 2021 6:12 pm
Washwipe

England 

Moo wrote:
HGV drivers currently have huge leverage. A strike now for better working conditions and treatment might well get the proper attention and hopefully lead to change.

It will never happen, lots of owner drivers out there that need to pay for a unit and trailer at around 200k to purchase.

The rates are on the floor after years of the likes of Stobarts/Wincanton/Maritime fighting for crumbs on a race to the bottom.

Post #225389927th Sep 2021 7:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >