Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Beware dealers snooping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Oh well,

If its true some of em will be reading how sh Censored t as service they are,maybe they'll take some comments away from here and use them in staff training Rolling with laughter

Post #84783615th Oct 2011 9:52 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ah, i have no fear, as i am capable of providing quite a surprise, involving sudden personal delivery of a "Very Special" and quite potent type of chemical nerve agent. Rolling with laughter Laughing Rolling with laughter Laughing Whistle Whistle

RP
Quote:
I don't understand it but I know people who are expert at interrogating almost any device and it is incredible what you learn about people from their gadgets.

Yea i know someone like that Whistle

I am guessing it was my User Name (BBS SPY) that gave me away Laughing Rolling with laughter
You are quite right about about how many manufacturers are turning to such techniques though and this is never more so in the Computing industry.

In a vehicle, it is, or has been, only the Airbag ECU that keeps a constant buffer of vehicle parameters it stores in a Crash memory when fired. This is likely however only for their own legal reasons to help them in cases bought against them, most often in the US. It seems that law enforcement have been catching onto this and I have come across equipment specifically designed for them to gain access to this.

DJ:
As you probably appreciate, as it is my profession, i would humbly suggest that i am quite experienced, knowledgeable and capable about LR's vehicle ECU's, especially in respect of their memories, storage capabilities and what information they store and can be accessed from them by all methods.

To date i know of only 3 possibilities that might possibly result in a stored record of a torque value in a vehicle.

1) The supercharged EMS has a flight recorder built in, but i have never really looked into how sophisticated this is and it might not even record torque.

2) The afore mentioned Airbag, but this would be stored only after a crash.

3) When storing certain fault codes, some data at the time the fault occurred is also stored, although this requires the right fault and the time of storage to be exactly when you have torque applied above normal.
Its a really very long shot and now i mention it, i don't recall torque as being one of the possible parameters stored.

RP is also correct about LR now keeping records of vehicles fault history. When IDS changed to SDD it became a much more "required to be currently on line" kind of diagnostic system. The detailed access logs the dealers tool creates along with all read faults, actions performed and results etc are uploaded in real time.

Post #84796616th Oct 2011 4:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
dealers snooping

Hi
The post was a simple warning as I have now asked my friend the exact details of his friends case it seems one of the mechanics in the garage where his VW polo was having some issues that the mechanic mentioned the modiifications to his service manager and the mechanic was a member of the same forum they then went into the forum and looked at the guys postings where he kindly exposed all of the modifications on his vehicle hence the garage invoved passed this information onto VW, who null and voided the warranty on the said vehicle leaving the guy with a repair bill of around £4k
This isnt a myth it is perfectly true so why wouldnt it be true for other forums

cheers

Post #84815616th Oct 2011 11:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

I don't know about using it to decline warranty work, but I guarantee you that at least some dealers DO snoop on here!
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #84818917th Oct 2011 7:10 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Land Rover themselves read this forum quite a lot

Post #84824617th Oct 2011 11:29 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

best place for them to look if they want to know where they are letting customers down, it's like a free customers evaluation form Whistle Whistle
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #84862018th Oct 2011 10:19 am
GREENI

Here's some proof...
Look at the 7th post down !!!

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8493-15.html

Post #84862318th Oct 2011 10:22 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

IMO there's a difference between a dispute in that example where the dealership feels it is being slandered and general monitoring of everyone's modifications which as Nick says would be a monumental waste of time.

Unless they can demonstrate that your modification has directly caused a failure which you then go on to claim under warranty I wouldn't worry ...well I've had plenty of mods and haven't worried about it for the last 40 odd warranty claims in my time with LR anyway Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #84862818th Oct 2011 10:34 am
Snowy

England 

countrywide wrote:
Land Rover themselves read this forum quite a lot

Absolutely, I have experience of this Whistle
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet.  
Post #84863218th Oct 2011 10:46 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
If dealers & LandRover

dont read this forum than they are missing a trick....
The feedback they dont get any other way is on here...lock, stock & barrell
...if they ran the site in might be a whole lot different
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #84864118th Oct 2011 11:19 am
row_perfect

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

If it helps them find out things like dealers putting the wrong spec oil in a D4 Shocked then that's a good thing Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE, Active Rear Diff, surround cameras, adaptive xenons, heated steering wheel, TPMS, remote park heating, centre console cooler box
Club MT/R
Club RLD spare wheel protector
Club Sump plate & tree slider
Club Blackvue HD

Post #84864718th Oct 2011 12:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >