Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Cooper STs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Cooper STs

Anybody with Cooper STs got any idea about the correct tyre pressure. I was running 40 and cut two side walls on sharp stones on a fire trail. On Sunday before going on a magnificent club trip with mud, rock climbs steep hill descents, I raised the pressure to 50 at the rear and cut yet another sidewall on the front. Changed the tyre. Next morning went to the car and found one flat front and one deflating rear. Both were leaking between the tyre and the rim - no puncture. to make it worse the spare tyre winch has seized and needs to be replaced. Any views on correct pressure for these tyres. Fortunately the tyres have been repairable by vulcanising.
By the way, even with a suspension fault message re-occurring during the trip, the Disco was unstoppable, when Prados, Pajeros, Patrols, an earlier model Disco and Jackaroos had to be snatched through. Is this the best recovery vehicle ever? I think so!
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #3738013th Jan 2006 9:01 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I should think that BN is the man to answer this one Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #3738113th Jan 2006 9:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
Re: Cooper STs

Discovery343 wrote:
Anybody with Cooper STs got any idea about the correct tyre pressure. I was running 40 and cut two side walls on sharp stones on a fire trail. On Sunday before going on a magnificent club trip with mud, rock climbs steep hill descents, I raised the pressure to 50 at the rear and cut yet another sidewall on the front. Changed the tyre. Next morning went to the car and found one flat front and one deflating rear. Both were leaking between the tyre and the rim - no puncture. to make it worse the spare tyre winch has seized and needs to be replaced. Any views on correct pressure for these tyres. Fortunately the tyres have been repairable by vulcanising.
By the way, even with a suspension fault message re-occurring during the trip, the Disco was unstoppable, when Prados, Pajeros, Patrols, an earlier model Disco and Jackaroos had to be snatched through. Is this the best recovery vehicle ever? I think so!

The STT's run well at 30 psi front and 34 psi rear, but they have armoured side walls and are quite hard. As the ST's are softer, I would suggest the same as the standard D3 tyre pressures. If you find them too hard, then drop by about 2 psi all round.

Post #3738513th Jan 2006 9:33 pm
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Tyre Pressure on Cooper STs

Hi Discovery343

I am about to buy a set of Cooper STTs. A friend who is a member of the forum has had the STs for some time. He is away this weekend, but I would expect that he will respond shortly.

In my limited experience, you lower your pressures once off-road. You might like to try around 25 at the back and 22 at the front. I know that "staking" is an issue as the lower the pressure the higher the chance of the sidewalls being staked due the sidewall bagging. I do not recall reading or hearing of an instance where you would want to increase tyre pressures off-road. The benefit of lowering the pressure is improved traction and a softer ride.

There is a DVD from ARB about an outback trip, called Desert Extreme, where they were travelling on tracks that had sharp rocks. They used Cooper STTs and had virtually no punctures. The STT is a very tough tyre and maybe it would suit your off-roading better than the STs.

If you are travelling with a club, generally the trip leader will advise what tyre pressure to use.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #3746414th Jan 2006 10:41 pm
BN

England 

For your type of off roading in Australia there is no reason not to drop the pressures as suggested by rsp and I think the sidewalls being armoured will be fine.

To fit the tyres to LR rims takes 100 to 110 psi which is about 40 psi above normal tyres, so go for it and get the traction in sand. On road, I find the tyres better a little harder to reduce side roll.

Post #3746514th Jan 2006 10:44 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Don't forget the STT has super tough Armor-Tek3 side walls so should be able to get away with lowering pressures more than the STs without the sidewalls bulging significantly. I've not tried mine at anything below about 30 psi but I'll let them down a bit when I get time and see how they do
 The End  
Post #3746614th Jan 2006 10:46 pm
rsp

ST Tyre Pressure

As you say, the STT has been designed to be a very tough tyre, apparently in response to the requirements of Australian Outback driving. The downside is the tracktion and tyre noise on the bitumen. Although in speaking to a friend, with a Patrol, who has had them fitted for some time, the noise is ok and traction not a huge issue. He ran his at the pressures I suggested to Discovery343 when traversing the Canning Stock Route which has is very remote and very challenging with just about every type of surface including sand and rock. He had no punctures at all.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #3746714th Jan 2006 10:53 pm
BN

England 
Re: ST Tyre Pressure

They are tough. The noise in a D3 sounds as if all your wheel bearings have gone when on tarmac, but it is worth it for the traction off road. On road I have found 30 psi front and 34 psi rear are fine.

Post #3746814th Jan 2006 11:02 pm
rsp

Cooper ST tyre pressure

Hi BN

Will let you know how we go. It certainly sounds as if UK off-road tyre pressures are above what we would run. We are planning a trip to the Flinders Ranges later in the year and I am told that that has some pretty tough tracks, so the STTs should come in handy.
Post #3747214th Jan 2006 11:18 pm
BN

England 
Re: Cooper ST tyre pressure

Best of luck and have a great trip. Any feed back, please let me know and I can send it to Coopers.

Post #3747314th Jan 2006 11:20 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Discovery343,

RSP mentioned I was away 4Wheeling and got back yesterday after 3 days travelling the Vic High Country. I had a great trip and no punctures.

I can sort of confirm your experience. I was running 36psi rear and 33psi front (COLD) on my Cooper ST's and I noticed the rears were chipping badly and some of the tread blocks were cracking at the base. I had travelled about 200km over a mix of dirt and rocky tracks. The main damage came on Bluff tk, Butcher Country Tk and Mt Speculation Tk where there are some rock scrambles. I suspected that I should drop my pressure particularly on the rear to increase traction. I dropped the rear to 32psi (HOT) so this maybe 28psi (COLD). I basically wanted to save the rear tyres from more chipping and I still had a tough 2km climb up a track called Dingo Hill Tk which climbs very steeply out off the Caledonia River.

I guess the damage didn't increase after dropping the rear pressure but it is hard to tell. In future I will run maybe 26psi (COLD) all round when on the harder rocky tracks.

I do have a few minor cuts on the sidewalls but nothing that is causing any problems.

The sooner they wear out the quicker I can justify a new set of STT's which is what I should have bought in the first place.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #3767216th Jan 2006 12:31 pm
rsp

Cooper ST Tyre Pressures Off-Road

Just got a set of 17" wheels and Cooper STT's. I spoke to the tyre supplier about sidewall damage from sharp rocks. He confirmed that lower not higher tyre pressures were the way to go. He also said that the speed at which you travel was important. The supplier did not want to be drawn on specific pressures as in theory you are not meant to run below the manufacturers recommended pressures, but he suggested around 28psi, albeit we were talking about STTs.

The ARB DVD Desert Extreme was sponsored by Coopers (among others) and certainly talked a lot about Cooper tyres and in particular the STTs and tyre pressures, so probably worth buying a copy. Chawton White
Post #3792817th Jan 2006 10:47 pm
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Cooper ST Tyre Pressures Off-Road

Great DVD - only watched it recently ... shows how good the Coopers are .... plus it was very interesting to watch the ARB Air Diff Locks in action ... makes me think i should've ordered the Rear Diff Lock in the Disco ....
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #3796118th Jan 2006 12:30 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I don't want to be a party pooper but I was pointed to this failure of a two Cooper ST's on the same D2 on the same day. These might be rare however the chipping and tread blocks ripping off is common problem for the ST's and I can validate that fact with my own set of ST's.

http://www.d2au.com/modules.php?name=Forum...=1818#1818

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/View.asp?For...D%26PN%3D1

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #3799518th Jan 2006 12:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >