Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing/Wiring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Lex

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Towing/Wiring

Anyone in oz find that the wiring provided in the tow pack difficult to use. My electrician had to change the male and female connectors to get the system to work properly. I have also had to buy a new tow fitting with a much higher 'gooseneck' just to get my camper trailer level whilst towing. I think that the towbar provided by Land Rover is much too low to the ground and should be redesigned for future models. Also is there a way through the firewall for wires from HF/UHF radios to pass?
 TDV6 HSE Zambezi/Tundra  
Post #62364th Jul 2005 9:35 am
Keith Walshe

I started to swop the electric trailer brake over from the old Td5 to the Tdv6. There was no problems with the rear lights, brake lights or indicators all worked "straight out of the box".

My imediate problem is where to mount the electric brake unit in the cab. Has anybody done this yet.

I agree with the comment about the towbar being to low - how the hell do I use an off road camping trailer effectively when the towbar fitting is acting like a plough?

Post #63025th Jul 2005 12:07 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Towing/Wiring

Lex wrote:
Also is there a way through the firewall for wires from HF/UHF radios to pass?

Lex,

See my post here on LRChronicles (sorry Martin) for a hole in the firewall which can be found on the driver's side next to the brake booster:

http://lrchroniclepub.proboards29.com/inde...amp;page=6

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #63175th Jul 2005 12:46 pm
Lex

Thanks for the info guys. I found the grommet next to the brake booster and the installer managed to get bout 4 cables through it for UHF & HF radios. My problem now is that until someone makes an overhead console the radios are stuck" temporarily" to my centre console lid. I found no other suitable spots. The towbar is a joke; I had to buy another high rise connector just to get my offroad camper level. But the mechanism will still plough through any slight mound in the wheeltracks.
 TDV6 HSE Zambezi/Tundra  
Post #64336th Jul 2005 8:05 am
BN

England 

Do you have the heavy duty tow kit. I have and it is like a plough, hangs about 15 centemetres below the underbody line. I cannot even fit my 'shockstop' a hydraulic damper (fits between the bar and tow ball) for towing heavy trailers.

Post #64346th Jul 2005 8:11 am
Lex

Yes BN mine is the heavy duty tow kit.You should be able to buy another high rise connector which effectively raises the ball height of the tow bar;you could then attach your shockstop to this more raised platform. N otwithstanding this it is still a crazy design .Surely LandRover will rethink this down the track.
 TDV6 HSE Zambezi/Tundra  
Post #66067th Jul 2005 9:55 pm
BN

England 

The main problem is that if I raise it too high, it is illegal in this country due to the point of tow being above the stress point. If I place the 'shockstop' on the normal place, it is only about 4" from the ground, crazy.

Post #66268th Jul 2005 8:26 am
anthill

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Lex wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. I found the grommet next to the brake booster and the installer managed to get bout 4 cables through it for UHF & HF radios. My problem now is that until someone makes an overhead console the radios are stuck" temporarily" to my centre console lid. I found no other suitable spots. The towbar is a joke; I had to buy another high rise connector just to get my offroad camper level. But the mechanism will still plough through any slight mound in the wheeltracks.

I have used radios with remote heads these are more easily mounted with the guts under the seats.

More pictures available in the Gallery under anthill

Post #803122nd Jul 2005 12:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

hi guys,

i was just looking at caravans on the weekend and after this post I am a bit worried !

I'm looking to buy a standard road going caravan (not off-road camper trailer)
how does the Disco3 (tdv6 in particular) handle a caravan (up to about 2tonne in weight) ?
Is the towbar tongue height an issue with this type of caravan ???

Also, is it difficult to install the electric brake controller ?
and who would you recommend in installing it - LR Service or the local Auto Electrician (or anyone in Sydney someone would like to recommend) ?

Any help is appreciated Smile

Thanks,
Bashir.
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #2465724th Oct 2005 12:08 am
anthill

bashir wrote:
hi guys,

i was just looking at caravans on the weekend and after this post I am a bit worried !

I'm looking to buy a standard road going caravan (not off-road camper trailer)
how does the Disco3 (tdv6 in particular) handle a caravan (up to about 2tonne in weight) ?
Is the towbar tongue height an issue with this type of caravan ???

Also, is it difficult to install the electric brake controller ?
and who would you recommend in installing it - LR Service or the local Auto Electrician (or anyone in Sydney someone would like to recommend) ?

Any help is appreciated Smile

Thanks,
Bashir.

Hi Bashir, I tow a van around the two tonne mark with no problems at all. Part of the deal was for the dealer to remove the brake controller from my TD5 and fit it in the TDV6. I was not prepared to mess too much with cars electrics. I originally used my old Reece type hitch but without using the weight distibution bars as the car self levels. I have since had a tongue made up to the correct height for my van that fits in the 2" square receiver.
 TDV6 SE (Ausie Spec) COOOL Chawton White.  
Post #2467524th Oct 2005 8:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bashir

so does this generally mean that the Disco3 tongue is not really compatible with the vehicles that are being towed ?
everyone seems to be adjusting or buying new tongues ! Mad

i would rather the spare on the back like before and have a proper height towbar !

(what options?!) 

Post #2469324th Oct 2005 12:21 pm
anthill

The tongue supplied was too low for my caravan (so was the one supplied with my TD5), there are recommended dimensions in the handbook and my new tongue is within these. It seems no two caravans have the same tow ball height in Aus... Most people in our caravan club use height adjustable hitches to get the rig level.
 TDV6 SE (Ausie Spec) COOOL Chawton White.  
Post #2469824th Oct 2005 1:32 pm
ontheridge

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Anthill - what type/brand of adjustable hitch have you got, I did not buy anything from L/R when buying the Disco as it seems the best thing to do is have one made to suit your own needs. I will need to be able to tow a 4x4 camper trailer and my ski-boat, 2 very different trailers.

Also, I can't find the key to remove the cast 50mm receiver that was already fitted when I pick-up the car, could it be hiding anywhere? Plus, I can't find any details of what the 2 sockets are for the electricals, why 2 and which is which, sorry seems a dumb question.

Thanks
Shaun
 D4 TDV6 MY13' - 2 weeks away!
RRS S/C MY10' - muchly loved and just gone
D3 TDV6 SE MY06' - loved and gone 

Post #2925623rd Nov 2005 10:28 am
bashir

just on a side note -

i had my tongue replaced by LandRover due to a quarantine issue.
I was told by LR service not to tow until I had the replacement tongue ...
the hole on the tongue for the towball was punched out during manufacturing and not drilled. they now issue a new tongue that has a drilled hole for the towball.

hope this helps ...

(what options?!) 

Post #2960423rd Nov 2005 11:08 pm
brian

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

bashir wrote:
just on a side note -

i had my tongue replaced by LandRover due to a quarantine issue.
I was told by LR service not to tow until I had the replacement tongue ...
the hole on the tongue for the towball was punched out during manufacturing and not drilled. they now issue a new tongue that has a drilled hole for the towball.

hope this helps ...

i just had my D3 in for the first service, the dealer didn't mention anything about the tongue quarantine.. they did let me know that they'd checked the wiring for me as there was an issue with that at some point in the past. Strange that, as i asked them to check it and confirm everything was ok with the wiring when i picked it up.

How old is your tow bar ?
(Mine is about 4 months old now)
 Brian
TDV6 SE 

Post #3002028th Nov 2005 10:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >