DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Snow driving (In France)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
acidliam

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Snow driving (In France)

Hi all,

Found a few topics around snow but hoping you can help me.

Going to be spending 4 months in Chamonix from Jan, I'm buying a D3 to drive us over and use while out there. I know the French cops expect you to have snow chains in these areas but I've seen quite a few people saying they never use them on this forum.

We're staying near the centre of town and I doubt we'll use the car for much more than doing the shopping and getting around the local area once there. We're living right opposite the train into central cham and we've got a season pass that gets us free public transport so we'll most likely use that a lot of the time. Plus I remember the roads be well ploughed when I last went.

So my question is do I get decent winter tyres and cheap chains just to keep the traffic cops happy. Will snow tyres and the right settings do the trick?

Or do I stick with normal/AT tyres and get some expensive chains to use should I get caught up in some serious snow?

I've only got 4 weeks between getting back to the UK and leaving for France so trying to plan ahead!

Post #188239222nd Nov 2017 2:50 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Envious, hope the snow comes in better than last year. We have done 2-3 weeks around Christmas and also January and March in the Disco. Have done it on the summer Pirelli SCorpions coped brilliantly with the snow, have also used winter tyres too and never got stuck. The local gendarmerie in Aime/Montalbert are often keen to chase folk for their snow chains (have them but never actually needed or put them on yet) if there has been a good dump that is not cleaned up on the road heading up to Montalbert, never been stopped up in the village. Whilst the Disco is impressive in the snow it still recognises physics and slides on ice.
Safe and enjoyable trip.
Duncan

Post #188240222nd Nov 2017 3:12 pm
acidliam

Cheers Duncan, always wanted to do a full season so getting it in before the kid gets too old and needs us to settle down!

Sounds like some decent tyres, some common sense and some cheap chains is the way to go then?

Sounds like people in the area are expecting a good year for snow this year, so fingers crossed we get lucky

Post #188243122nd Nov 2017 3:45 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Few years back an whole family was wiped out in a FF RR coming back down after a day's skiing- they hadn't got chains on Sad loose snow isn't a problem it's ice that is the big danger and stopping.
I have skidded backwards 150 yards on a four wheel drive tractor on ice Shocked nothing I could do but sit there and pray, nothing grips ice like chains, have a pair ready Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #188243622nd Nov 2017 3:56 pm
qcnr

Norway 

Get some proper snow tyres. Unless you want to be crawling around in the fear of losing control of 2.7 ton vehicle. Once gravity takes over, or friction is lost, there isn't much to help you. I have 2 sets of wheels (9 altogether) 4 with snow tyres 4 with AT tyres and the spare.
A M+S marked tyre is not a snow tyre.
https://www.nokiantyres.com/

Post #188269823rd Nov 2017 10:53 am
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Totally agree that W&S are not Snow tyres. It comes down to the price that you're prepared to spend and need I suppose. We compromised and have a winter set of tyres (Tyfoon Winter Professionals on a spare set of wheels) which have done us well - we spend a lot of time down in Montalbert. You're right that even a Disco can't beat gravity and low friction surface conditions. Best chains were the Spike Spiders that we used when we had the Galaxy - so easy to put on, but was too mean to buy again for the Disco as never actually put chains on it yet.
Cheers
Duncan

Post #188270623rd Nov 2017 11:16 am
acidliam

qcnr wrote:
Get some proper snow tyres. Unless you want to be crawling around in the fear of losing control of 2.7 ton vehicle. Once gravity takes over, or friction is lost, there isn't much to help you. I have 2 sets of wheels (9 altogether) 4 with snow tyres 4 with AT tyres and the spare.
A M+S marked tyre is not a snow tyre.
https://www.nokiantyres.com/

I was considering a second set of wheels with snow tyres on, but I haven't worked out the cost yet. I doubt the offset of driving down in normal tyres and swapping when there would be worth it.

Post #188271923rd Nov 2017 11:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >