Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Big disappointment at end of first trip with new D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Big disappointment at end of first trip with new D3

Seems like all my fears have come true on reliability of Land Rover - yes even new Discovery 3

On the return leg of our trip to Vic Falls - after delayed border crossing at Kazangulu my "6000 km old" D3 kept cutting out if revs exceed 4000. The first time it happened a message "engine management fault" appeared. Luckily we were 10km from a small town and managed to "limp" to a crummy hotel and spend the night there. We were about 150 km's from the lodge where we were suppose to spend the last night, but I was not taking the chance. After idling for a couple of seconds the engine seems to get revs up, but would go into limp mode as soon as it reaches 4000 revs.

Calls to Land Rover Assist (I took the international number with me) were unanswered. I got hold of Land Rover Gaberone the following morning and the service manager suggested I push on to Potgietersrus. When I suggested dirty diesel blocking the filter he said that this should not have a big affect seeing that the vehicle is still so new. Only filled up at big service stations all the way and did not fill up in Zambia at all.

On arrival at agent in Potgietersrus the diagnostics indicated "low fuel pressure" - which apparantly caused the cut out and then the limp mode. This was cleared, but on test driving the vehicle it again cut out at 4000 revs. Service manager suggested replacement of diesel filter, but after removing cover underneath vehicle could not find the filter !! After a good look around found the filter in a place "never seen before" and then was surprised to see a much smaller filter than usual. He showed me the "normal" filter which was indeed much bigger than the one fitted. When turning the drain plug on the filter no diesel came out which also surprised everyone. They did not have the smaller filter and after a couple of calls came back with the reply "that not even the factory has this part in stock" !

Left Potgietersrus at 14h00 and the cut out would occur at lower revs as the journey continued - in the heavy N1 traffic in Pretoria this will happen at 2000 revs where I had to pull off the freeway and wait a couple of seconds before continuing.

So - at present I am pretty Censored off as I was really looking forward to kitting out this vehicle for serious overland trips, but have no faith in the vehicle at present.

Will be taking the vehicle to LR Sandton on Monday and have a word with the dealer principle. If it is dirt in the filter (hopefully !) a spare filter will definitly become a standard item on my spares list. If not - I will be very disappointed and will consider replacing this vehicle with something more reliable - sounds familiar ?????

Post #1753167th Jul 2007 6:14 pm
JamesWyatt

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Find out what exactly what happened first. Find out why your filter is smaller. If the filter is clogged, you likely got some bad gas. Censored happens. Perhaps a lesser vehicle would have been completely immobilized.

Post #1753217th Jul 2007 7:01 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's a real dissapointment Deondef. Hopefully your dealer will be able to sort out. Do you have a pic of the fuel filter you've got on currently & it's location just so other can check theirs.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1753317th Jul 2007 8:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very sad for you as it is a good car you must not give up Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #1753357th Jul 2007 8:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deondef

Bodsy

I will try and post pics. If one removes the cover between the engine and the transfer box and faces the front of the vehicle there is a obvious crevice on the right hand side where the diesel filter lives. On my vehicle you turn around and facing the rear of the vehicle on the left you remove another vertical cover and then get to the filter which is shorter but fatter than the normal one.

According to the service guy this filter looks much smaller in capacity - which is not good for us guys here in SA with suspect diesel most of the time - never mind venturing into neighbouring countries.

Another thing that bothers me is the extended service which came out with the 2007 model D3 TDV6's (from VIN7A onwards). It is now every 24000 km's or 12 months - I would much rather service it more regulary and ensure evrything is OK - they even specify in the manual to replace oil and filters more often if low quality fuel is used. I still replace oil and filter of my Defender td5 every 5000 km's - still going strong after 189000 km's.

Post #1753828th Jul 2007 7:59 am
Deondef

Fault code

Here is fault report obtained from the dealer in Potties: Injector control pressure too low. General failure information - no sub type information. Code P2290-00

Post #1753838th Jul 2007 8:02 am
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bad luck old chap - hopefully an easy fix and faith restored. Just remember the service interval is a Max gap between service, arduous use or driver judgement means you can empty your wallet as often as you choose . . . .
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #1753888th Jul 2007 9:30 am
catweasel

I would have thought SA was considered the same as Aus and to have the arduous intervals

Post #1753938th Jul 2007 10:33 am
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

sound like the same fault I had a while back, had the high pressure fuel pump replaced in the end

Car of the Year 2005, 2006 and 2007, Best Large 4x4
Top Gear "Best Car In The World"
4x4 Magazine "Best 4x4 In The World"

2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE Manual, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Powered/Heated Leather, Privacy Glass, Side protection, Parrot CK3200LS Bluetooth Phone Kit, 18" Type 2 Alloys, Bi-Xenons, and Tasmods Stainless Steel sill trims, MANTEC Protection 

Post #1753958th Jul 2007 10:34 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Deon

Sorry to hear about your drama . But if it's just a clogged filter then it's not really a train smash and I wouldn't lose faith in the car just yet . What intrigues me is that the filter was not where it was supposed to be . Please let me know what the stealers say about that . Also is it something you could replace in the bush without special tools ?

Regards
Heine

Post #1754398th Jul 2007 5:21 pm
Deondef

Heine

Yes - quite easy to replace - if you know where it is ! The biggest challenge is to correctly fit the four pipes which is a combination of low and high pressure supply and return pipes.

I will be watching carefully when this is done and report back. - If this is (hopefully) the cause.

Post #1754448th Jul 2007 5:39 pm
TiaanS

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Deon

Sorry to hear about your trouble, it is very disappointing to plan a trip like your and have it spoiled by reliability.
At least your Disco is at LR Sandton for troubleshooting – IMO one of the best LR workshops in GP.

Post #1756939th Jul 2007 10:27 am
coala

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Do not loose all faith yet - but please post what the dealer had to say at the end of the day. Done 76 000 on my TDV6 S and its a dream. So far so good - and an awesome car. But your situation again raises the issue of a travel (overland) kit for the Disco3. Before i left for Namibia (end April) i asked if i needed anything (specifically having had in mind a kit consisting of filters etc). Reply from Menlyn was no - seems also kit is not available.

Post #1757419th Jul 2007 12:39 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Another question Deon - why were you revving your car so high (4000) isn't this a bit much for a diesel ?

Post #1757899th Jul 2007 2:15 pm
Deondef

Update

As at cob today Sandton LR had replaced fuel filter, but on testing cut out still occured - at between 2kand 3k revs. Diagnostics now does not show any error report, so tomorrow they are calling in some expert.

Heine - the first time it happened I was overtaking and when auto kicked back to 5th I did not have enough power, so I floored the accelerator pedal and auto kicked back to 4th (I think). I did not stay at these revs for longer than 10 seconds I would imagine. My immediate thought was that there must be a built in rev limiter, but LR assures me that this not the case and that revs in excess of 4k is nothing for this engine. Funny thing is that when flooring the pedal in sport mode from standstill it will accelerate as normal and revs will go above 4k at every gear change - it is only when driving at high speed (100 - 120 kmh) for a while and then wanting the extra power that it happens.

Spoke to an independant diesel "expert" today and he reckons could also be a faulty air intake sensor.

Stopped at local Nissan dealer this afternoon and had a look at the Patrol. Evil or Very Mad

Post #1758309th Jul 2007 4:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >