Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Bit the bullet and listened to the advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jamie41.

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Bit the bullet and listened to the advice

after living with an ever growing "groaning" from the front end I decided in my head I needed new hub bearings, so new set of hubs bought and fitted by my local mechanic ..... gumble still there only allot quieter so I'm thinking it's going to be the front diff needing a rebuilt but everyone kept telling me to change my tyres first and the more I read up on grabbers being noisy when down to lower levels the more I'm starting to sway with the idea
So after weeks of looking on tyre review sites and looking at different prices etc I have eventually had 4 new good years fitted ( Kwikfit where the cheapest by my amazement)
And wouldn't you know it but it's all gone quiet and the car drives a whole lot better it's like driveing a different car
I'm totally shocked that tyres can cause so much noise and head aches

And for some reason I've kept the grabbers as a spare set of winter tyres knowing full well that they'll never come out of the garage ever again

Post #207508610th Aug 2019 5:36 pm
mlscott1986

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I've had my local indie looking at mine twice and that's the only suggestion they came up with. It sounds like the front diff is on the way out, but they assure me not! I have Grabbers that are nearly worn to the limit on the shoulders (previous owner had them under-inflated). Reading your post has put my mind at rest that I haven't got a diff rebuild to pay for shortly. I'll get them changed out (when funds allow) and hopefully the noise will disappear.
 2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze  
Post #209253015th Oct 2019 3:14 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I swapped tyres front/back last week with this in mind. The fronts were Scorpions - which I've not seen anyone say where noisy when worn - but they were worn and if it IS hub/diff issue it was the smoothest, slightest noise but being on this forum does boost paranoia levels at times.

So the fronts are now Landsails (fitted by dealer when I bought it) and it's noisier but in a different way.

Need to take it for a gentle Whistle run down the motorway to compare with previous noise as that was only time I ever heard it with the Pirellis.

Post #209253115th Oct 2019 3:34 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Scorpions make a right racket when worn, the edges castlelate, it’s like driving with a Chinook hovering above you - was very noticeable on the D3, a lot less so on the D4, guessing down to the different suspension set up in the D4.
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #209253515th Oct 2019 4:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >