Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Black smoke emissions follwoing re-map
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CFB

United Kingdom 
Black smoke emissions follwoing re-map

Without sparking yet another debate about the various re-map options I would like to know from others if you all experienced increased black smoke from the exhaust under heavy throttle?

I had mine done today by a local dealer 'Wake up your car' as they had a special offer on of £250 +VAT, they showed me the maps and downloaded one specifically for the car. The mid-range pull is much stronger indeed but there is a noticeable plume of black smoke under acceleration, I am not too keen on this and want to go back to them but don't want to look daft if it is a direct result of all re-mapping?
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #17003623rd Jun 2007 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Any remapped car I've seen has more smoke. Pulling off from a stop with full throttle makes a nice black cloud for example (on an auto at least), or at high RPM when accelerating. As with yourself, I'm not exactly keen on it, but as far as I know it's unavoidable.
When I get my next D3, I'll be checking out all the options again, as I'm sure some claim to have less smoke than others but who knows? Wink
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Last edited by bkehoe on 23rd Jun 2007 2:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #17003723rd Jun 2007 2:32 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

All remaps seem to result in a bit more smoke under acceleration...I wouldn't worry too much TBH Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17003823rd Jun 2007 2:33 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, put my mind at ease. Looks like I got a bargain then Very Happy
Post #17003923rd Jun 2007 2:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

i will be looking into this bargain too ....do you know how long its on offer for?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #17004423rd Jun 2007 3:38 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Don't mean to kick off a riot here but gains don't seem to be as good as with TC. Who knows if there's any actual difference though, as only real world comparisons on the same vehicle would show.

According to TC's site, they give you an extra 25 horses and an extra 50 - 70 nm of torque over wuyc.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #17005923rd Jun 2007 6:47 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I am sure you get what you pay for but after having driven it more tonight, it really flies. Loads more mid-range pull and it feels so much more lively. Smoke is not a problem unless you really open the throttle.

For the money I paid, I am happy Very Happy
Post #17006023rd Jun 2007 6:54 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

cotefarmboy wrote:
I am sure you get what you pay for
Too true..... as long as you're happy Thumbs Up  
Post #17007223rd Jun 2007 8:29 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

To get more power you have to burn more fuel per second. Doing this without changing the mixture means going for higher revs. Diesel engines have a long stroke in order to compress a large volume into a small volume to get the high compression ratio needed for diesel combustion to take place. The long stroke rules out the use of high revs. Chip tuning works by changing the common rail pressure so that more diesel fuel is pumped into the combustion chamber. Unfortunately this means that the fuel / air mixture is no longer ideal for complete combustion, hence the soot or black smoke.

If you have a diesel particle filter this will trap the soot. You're not going to like this but unfortunately if the amounts are excessive some DPFs can and have caught fire! I havent heard of this happening to a D3 yet though. You're going to like this even less but soot is a known carcinogen (cancer causing agent).

The only ways to burn more fuel more cleanly are to increase the volume and to pump in more air as well (bigger or multiple turbos)

Bring on the TDV8. Razz
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #17009623rd Jun 2007 10:33 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

dick dastardly wrote:
To get more power you have to burn more fuel per second
not necassarily... to get more BHP you need to burn the fuel more efficiently by injecting it into the engine at the right time and right amount combined with the right amount of oxygen.... Wink
Power is not the same as torque (BHP) and has a seperate 'curve'

Post #17010423rd Jun 2007 11:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >