Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Blackvue / Power Magic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Blackvue / Power Magic

As a soon-to-be Blackvue owner, I've been reading the various installation threads - there are some very good ones - thanks guys.

However, it looks like most people are getting the power from the fuse box behind the glove box but not using the power magic. This has me wondering why not - are you not risking a flat battery if you don't drive the car for a while or is this just not a problem in real life?

Is there a thread for how to install a blackvue with the power magic?

Post #112224624th Jun 2013 5:07 pm
johnnychainsaw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I installed with the power magic and its the same installation procedure as far as I remember. It does come with instructions that are easy enough to follow. Thumbs Up

Post #112227124th Jun 2013 6:25 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have mine installed straight from the fuse box as I didn't really know about the power magic thing at the time, however, I haven't had any problems with flat batteries although the most it stands without use is normally only 3 days Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #112230524th Jun 2013 7:17 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Hairy Dan wrote:
I have mine installed straight from the fuse box as I didn't really know about the power magic thing at the time, however, I haven't had any problems with flat batteries although the most it stands without use is normally only 3 days Thumbs Up

Ian, is yours wired directly to a constant 'live feed' then from the fuse box ? I've got the PowerMagic box but haven't got around to fitting it yet, I'm just using the ciggy lighter outlet at the moment.

Chris
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #112231724th Jun 2013 7:39 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yes it's wired directly to a constant 'live feed' I think it was fuse 28, I used an 'add a fuse' from Ebay to piggyback the fuse that was in there Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #112232024th Jun 2013 7:45 pm
highbayrack

Cheers Thumbs Up I'm off from Wednesday for a few days so I'll have a play then.
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #112234724th Jun 2013 8:36 pm
Hairy Dan

I followed Mr Amazing's instruction to route the wire

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic70058.html?
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #112236724th Jun 2013 9:29 pm
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

My power magic takes the power from the fuse box with piggy back fuses.
Cc
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #112242324th Jun 2013 10:45 pm
KJS

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Copied from woody 179

For this you need 2 power connections, 1 that is live when the ignition is on (Fuse 53) and the other which is a battery connection - Fuse 41.

Thumbs Up

Post #112246124th Jun 2013 11:42 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

from my understanding there are 2 options, 1- live feed so it's always on, 2- active ignition so only starts when your running the engine; these can be modified by using the power magic which is monitoring the battery levels and shuts down when the battery is low.

Of cause you wouldnt really need the power magic if using option 2

we have two here currently both running from power outlet (ciggy lighter) on the wifes car that is only live when the car is running on mine it's live all the time both have ran with no issues, however with a new car about to be collected in the next few weeks I'm going to ebay for the piggy-back fuse.

lastly I read a thread that was saying that some units have burnt out in all this hot weather, as they are running constantly and they get warm in normal use the weather just throws them over their thermal safe temperature so that puts another twist to the choice I.E. not just will the battery be OK but will the unit survive hot days

so we're going the route of piggy back fuse for tidiness and only active when engine is running. most the time the car is in a garage either end of the journey, so is secure from idiots keying or useless drivers hitting parked cars
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #112248425th Jun 2013 5:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I agree with the heat issue, though it's unlikely to be a problem in UK climate. Only hot climates (like Malta).

I do not have a Blackvue but I do have a Livue camera. I have had it powered live all the time but I will be switching to ignition only (at least in summer) due to the heat. The camera already gets pretty warm to touch with the aircon on. After a day parked in the sun (down here we're getting 35C), I returned to the car (47C internal temperature). The camera was still running fine but it was almost too hot to touch.

While it is rated for up to 65C ambient temperature, I can't see that sort of heat doing any good to the longevity of the camera.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #112250925th Jun 2013 7:50 am
highbayrack

Does anyone know if Maplin's or general motor factors sell these piggy back fuse's as I dont have time to order off eBay for tomorrow.

Post #112254625th Jun 2013 9:52 am
Hairy Dan

Maplin's didn't stock them when I fitted mine which is why I got mine from Ebay but I would expect a good motor factors to stock them Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #112260725th Jun 2013 11:21 am
highbayrack

Thumbs Up There is one around the corner, I'll go have a look when ive drank me tea Laughing

Post #112268825th Jun 2013 2:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have mine installed via a power magic box. I piggy-backed off the fuses behind the glove box, and ran the cables to the top glovebox, where I secured the PM unit. I set it to run for 24 hours after shut down. The camera does get quite hot in use, and I do have the option of pulling the power connector out if its a hot day. No problems thus far.

Post #112269025th Jun 2013 2:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >