Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Blowing exhaust and burning smell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alex0264

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
Blowing exhaust and burning smell

In the nearly 3 years of owning my Disco 4, I've noticed that when driving for extended periods up a steep hill there is a smell of burning oil afterwards. It's not horrendous and I've always just thought it was something like a rocker cover gasket with a minor leak, and the car does not go through oil at all - however this leads me on to the next thing...

Over the past say 18 months there have been probably half a dozen occasions where the engine / exhaust note has changed. It almost sounds like there is either a blowing exhaust, or it has some kind of aftermarket one on it. This has been coupled again with the smell of burnt oil. Today I experienced the same thing, and round the back of the car there was a real 'hot' smell, not burning but just 'hot'. Having read a few threads on here there have been talks about the DPF 'regenerating', which resulted in a hot (possibly burning) smell, and a slight change in engine note.

My question is whether or not this is what might be the source of all this. Unfortunately on every occasion this has happened, it has not been possible to get under the car and have a look. There have never been any advisories regarding exhaust and/or DPF on the MOT, and touch wood the diesel smoke test always passes.

Should probably add that this a mid 2011 car (11 plate).
Thanks in advance

Post #21117479th Jan 2020 5:32 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My car is 2013 and does have a dpf. It regenerates every couple of hundred miles.

I only notice it when driving slowly, as it results in a gruff exhaust note at low revs. It’s normal to get a burning smell as it does regenerate by injecting more diesel than the engine needs.

Most of the time, the regen occurs on a long a trip perhaps at speed, and you will never know. If it doesn’t complete before you switch off, you might smell it. If you do mainly short journeys you could have a dpf that is blocking up. Give it a good run at speed for about 20 minutes to clear it.

Post #21117649th Jan 2020 6:49 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

if you can't get "speed", the trick is to get the revs up at whatever speed you can achieve.

put in the the pseudo manual mode and keep it in a lower gear for a bit. SWMBO's Vauxhall can clear the dpf at ~ 40mph or even less using this method.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #21117659th Jan 2020 6:57 pm
alex0264

Gareth wrote:
My car is 2013 and does have a dpf. It regenerates every couple of hundred miles.

I only notice it when driving slowly, as it results in a gruff exhaust note at low revs. It’s normal to get a burning smell as it does regenerate by injecting more diesel than the engine needs.

Most of the time, the regen occurs on a long a trip perhaps at speed, and you will never know. If it doesn’t complete before you switch off, you might smell it. If you do mainly short journeys you could have a dpf that is blocking up. Give it a good run at speed for about 20 minutes to clear it.

Thank you both for the replies. Also I've noticed that if you do a short journey when the weather is cold, you can hear something whirring away still after the engine is turned off. Is that the DPF, as I don't remember the Disco 3 doing that, which I believe didn't have the DPF?

Post #21117689th Jan 2020 7:04 pm
Hardware

more likely the FBH.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #21117799th Jan 2020 8:01 pm
alex0264

OK, as far as I'm aware the car doesn't have a FBH?? Certainly not to my knowledge anyway!

Post #21117829th Jan 2020 8:08 pm
Hardware

under bonnet, nearside front corner. pretty sure you'll have one ... 2011 HSE ?

Post #21118009th Jan 2020 8:55 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If it’s a diesel and a UK car, it’s got a Fuel Burning Heater (FBH)

It Looks like a metal sandwich box with pipes, behind your left headlamp.

When temp low (6 degrees and below), and your engine coolant is less than 75 degrees it will fire up automatically to help the engine warm up. It will keep running for a couple of minutes after shutdown to clear any unburnt fuel from its burner.

Post #21118069th Jan 2020 9:06 pm
alex0264

Indeed it is the FBH I can see, it has Webasto printed on the side. That clears up the whirring noise when cold!

On the subject of the DPF, do you know if it consumes alot of power? The only reason I ask is because the car has seems to have something pulling a significant amount of current - so much so that you actually see the dash clocks etc dim then get brighter again (usually for 20-30 seconds). So far I've ruled out the following as culprits:

- Air suspension compressor (still happens when locked in access mode)
- Headlights (still happens when lights are off)
- Stereo (still happens when off)
- AC (still happens when off) - also tested with ventilation system off completely

I'm at a complete loss as to what could be pulling so much current. The DPF is something I'd never considered before, plus my Disco 3 didn't do this and it didn't have a DPF.

Post #211440520th Jan 2020 6:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >